Print Thread
Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report #10014990 05/27/14 04:08 AM
P
PKfishin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
I decided to give Texoma a break and go fish Possum Kingdom over the memorial day weekend. The lake was a zoo, but I'm sure things were similar all over the state. We had our friend Ron and Paula over for the Holiday and wanted to see if we could get them on some stripers.

Things started out with a bang right off as we caught one of last years striper stocking. I'm catching lots of these 12 inch stripers now at PK, so the future is looking really good.

The lake was rough and it always looked like rain so my wife passed on the boat trip.

We took the little striper as a sign fishing would be good despite the fact it started to rain. Once we reached magic point (Secret Striper Hotspot) one of the poles we were trolling bent double and drag started screaming out like we had hooked an underwater wild pig.

Turns out that pole was one I had set up with special with the three swivels I use. This rig had two Powerbait Red Eye Shad followed by a big Bomber Fat Free shad all on a 30 Lb test mono leader. I've been having problems with this rig with break offs and wanted to try and see if I could fix the problem by ditching the 20 lb flourocarbon and using really heavy mono. Turns out we had three stripers on at the same time and they roughed up the mono so bad it broke at the second swivel. Ron had one striper on for a short time then he bent the hook on the red eye and was gone.

We kept fishing though and soon Ron caught his first striper.
(Ron caught a lot of grief for that Longhorn hat at PK.).

We added a second one using a modified umbrella rig with a 6 inch wire leader and a deep diving crank bait hooked to the center arm that allowed us to get deeper. We had three stripers on this rig as well but instead of breaking the line, they bent the hooks. This caused me to have to change out the cheap cabelas hooks I had been using with some Lucky Strike Gamakatsu's that they could not bend.

We kept at it and soon had another one on. Things were looking good. We marked lots of schools of what I assumed to be stripers along with massive schools of bait fish. PK may have been the dead sea at one time but it's really good fishing now.

Being on PK during Memorial Day weekend was like being in a small pool with a bunch of fat boys doing cannonballs. But we were catching fish and just trolled right through a swirling melee of wake borders and jet Fleas. But we kept catching stripers.

These umbrella rigs generate a lot of tangles. I spent a lot of time dealing with the line wrapping around the arms. four swim baits and two trebles makes it difficult to remove from the net as well.

We finally got rained off the lake. Can't complain about the rain with this drought. We really got an excellent soaking rain. Nothing like the flood of 08 when most of these stripers were born. I assume all these 25-30 inch fish we are catching were spawned in 08 by the few remaining fish that made it through the golden algae. Once in a while I hear of someone catching one of these older fish that go 17-20 LB now. I personally have not seen these fish but I assume they are rare. The stripers the size we are catching now are not rare.

I found the key to keeping the sand bass off our bait was to up size everything. We still caught a few sandies but nothing like earlier in the year. I tried a new product this time called Powerbait ripple shad in Glow Chartreuse. Worked like a champ. Can't wait to try it at Texoma.

My friend Ron had a great time catching his first striper. He ended with three nice ones.

Biggest one was 28 inches and almost 10 LB.

Got some friends with kids coming later this summer. Cannot wait to see the look on their face when they get one of these things on the line.

Hope everyone had a super Holiday.

Last edited by PKfishin; 05/27/14 04:26 AM.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report [Re: PKfishin] #10014996 05/27/14 04:16 AM
M
M.T.Pockets Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Great write up an even better pictures. Keep ip the good work

"QUALITY PRODUCTS AT AFFORDABLE PRICES"
www.mtpocketstackle.com
=== American Made!!! ===
www.facebook.com/MtPocketsTackleCompany

Re: Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report [Re: PKfishin] #10015225 05/27/14 12:09 PM
R
River Mongrel Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Good job!!

Keep em tight!
Re: Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report [Re: PKfishin] #10015397 05/27/14 01:09 PM
V
VIP Fishing Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
V
Awesome report for PK!!

Originally Posted by Derek
I do enjoy a good Squirt now and then.
Re: Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report [Re: PKfishin] #10015534 05/27/14 01:51 PM
K
kirbydog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Great report-good to see PK on the mend.

Re: Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report [Re: PKfishin] #10015872 05/27/14 04:10 PM
PK-Russ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I saw you guys fishing in front of my house. Glad you had some success. I didn't fish out of the boat the whole weekend but caught a couple hundred off of the lights. We caught a few 6-8lb stripers and and let them go and kept enough sandies for a big fish fry on Sunday. Over Easter I caught a 6lb largemouth off of the light. I'm pumped about the fishing this summer.

Re: Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report [Re: PK-Russ] #10016471 05/27/14 08:04 PM
P
PKfishin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
I've been telling everyone I know to get those lights. I have one guy about to put some on his dock. Those things work great.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report [Re: PKfishin] #10016684 05/27/14 09:14 PM
PK-Russ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Underwater Green Fishing Light

I bought this one last week. You can use it on your trolling motor battery or you can get an adapter that makes it 110v so you don't have to have 2 lights for different uses. It really puts off some good light. I have the Green Monster Fishing light and so do 3 of my neighbors. They work great but mine quit on me a couple of years ago and I can't seem to get it fixed. I want to get out into deeper water with the portable light and see how it works. I think a good spot would be back in Neeley's Slough by your house. . . . Hint, hint

Re: Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report [Re: PK-Russ] #10017266 05/28/14 12:55 AM
P
PKfishin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
I bet it would work well on that point by the Gibsons dock. Lots of fish over there.

Re: Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report [Re: PKfishin] #10018217 05/28/14 01:23 PM
R
RANDY WOOD Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Tell Ron to hang in there. Almost every guide trip I do there is someone with a Tech hat or shirt on.
Nice fish.
I have friends coming down this weekend so I think we will catch a bucket of shad and go Striper fishing.

I have been fishing customers mostly and they have been enjoying some off the charts sandbass fishing.
The last six trips all but one trip caught there limit. The wind was blowing hard on the bad trip making it hard to get the bait to the fish.
PK is definitely back!

Leader of the CORN BREAD MAFIA and the Captain of Team Family Style
2008 TSA Team of the Year

817-999-1922

Re: Possum Kindom Memorial Day Report [Re: RANDY WOOD] #10018878 05/28/14 05:32 PM
P
PKfishin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
Randy: I'll bet you'll agree with my earlier report about the Sand Bass numbers at Pk. I see huge schools everywhere. I quit fishing from North D & D because I figured if there was a striper there he'd never see my bait for all the sand bass.

I marked a huge shad school right out of Neely Slew that must have been 100 yards long. Had a big bird that I assumed was a Blue Heron, as it was way too big to be a cormorant surface right by the boat with a big shad in its mouth. Those shad were at 45 feet so I do not know how you catch them. We caught that first little striper off that school of bait.

Do you think TPWD will stock some more striper fingerlings this year? The ones they put in last year are doing well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide