Print Thread
Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight #1573417 08/31/07 01:53 PM
S
SuzieQ Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Would like advise on how to keep bait alive overnight. Like to get an early start fishing not running around trying to find bait. Stone bubblers not very good. What do ya'll do??

Re: Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight [Re: SuzieQ] #1573694 08/31/07 03:50 PM
B
Bill Fisher Offline
Angler
Angler
B
bait pen in the water

Bill Fisher
Re: Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight [Re: Bill Fisher] #1573899 08/31/07 04:56 PM
F
fastpitch Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
How well known are you at the bait shops? If they know you, some of them will reserve your bait for you if you call a day or so ahead of time. Otherwise, a bait pen is the best way, like BF said, unless you have a primo aeration system.

The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.
Re: Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight [Re: fastpitch] #1575828 09/01/07 03:53 PM
L
LooptyLoop Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Piggies and shrimp are very hardy and fairly easy to keep alive. In fact, I have keep shrimp alive with the Bubble box all night before, though I would not recommend it. Likewise, piggies are fighters as well and are much easier to keep alive then bait like croaker or menhaden/shad.

However, there are several things that you can do to improve your chances. If you like to fish with bait then try investing in a O2 set up. You can make your own if you can get ahold of a bottel, its much cheaper this way. Just attach the tank to a cool, cut holes to run your tubes, and make sure you have a regulator valve so that you can put the right ammount in. If you see them struggling, increase the O2, if they are too fidgety then decrease. You can buy the whole setup if you are not a crafty kind of person, they are a little costly but are well worth the money. My dad made his and we have keep weak fish like croaker alive all night on many occasions. Shrimp and Piggies are no problem with O2.

If you dont have O2, and even if you do, try using a poggy saver or some other formula that removes toxins from the water. The toxins made by your own bait is usually what kills them. These savers work very well and are relativly cheap. I dont know if there is one for shrimp.

Also, by placeing ice into whatever setup you have you will greatly increase their chances of survival. Works extreamly well on shrimp. This drops the water temp. thuse slowing down your bait so they do not get too stressed. It works! Just place an appropriate amount of ice into the water throughout the night.

It is also very important that you place fish into a clean container. Do not place them where you have had chemicals, soap, or other contaminants. Make sure that you thuroughly wash out the holder even if you know that it has not been subject to contaminants. An unclean bucket is a killer. On the same note, do not handle any of the bait or stick your hands into the water. We have all sorts of stuff on our hands that can kill a whole batch. Try to use a little net if they must be transfered or tampered with. If you are able to, try and replace the water every so often.

If you are having trouble with the stone bubblers, then try using an motorized pump. Many can be hooked up to a car battery and they constantly pump and spray back the water in your container keeping it circulating at a high rate. Just like the livewells of a boat. However, if you are serious about fishing, and doing it with bait, then you need to invest in an O2 setup. There is no comparison and you will not loose many with this very subtle method of injecting pure o2 into the water. Good luck!!

Re: Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight [Re: LooptyLoop] #1575940 09/01/07 05:29 PM
S
SuzieQ Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Thank you for the suggestions. That makes sense about sticking your hands in the bucket. The net's lying next to the bucket and I still stick my hand inside. Never gave it any thought. Happy Fishing!

Re: Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight [Re: SuzieQ] #1576138 09/01/07 08:26 PM
W
Whitebassguyjc89 Offline
Angler
Angler
W
When using ice in your bait tank/bucket use ice made of water from a lake or something not store bought or home frozen ice as this has a small amount of chlorine in the water that could kill your bait. Another option is to freeze a small milk jug or orange juice carton with water so the water does not leak out.

Re: Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight [Re: Whitebassguyjc89] #1577399 09/02/07 04:16 PM
L
LooptyLoop Offline
Angler
Angler
L
The milk jug thing sounds like a good idea. However, I have never lost bait fish from using store bought ice. Maybee the poggy/croaker saver removed the chlorine or at least kept them from dying, or the amount of chlorine might not have been big enough when added to the sea water.

Re: Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight [Re: LooptyLoop] #1579181 09/03/07 08:03 PM
J
jugmaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Sister, welcome to the TFF I'm sure these fine people will help you with any questions.

Father and Son
ELITE ANGLERS
Re: Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight [Re: jugmaster] #1580618 09/04/07 12:35 PM
S
SuzieQ Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Good Morning, Brother! Looking forward to the Fishing Tournament at the end of this month your helping me with. Your niece, Callie, is Very Excited about it too. Bring your poker money! Want to make sure we have live bait by the time you get down there.

Re: Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight [Re: SuzieQ] #1584707 09/05/07 11:13 PM
J
jugmaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
What more could I ask for catching fish and taking your money. This sounds like a good time.

Father and Son
ELITE ANGLERS
Re: Keeping Shrimp/Piggy Perch Alive Overnight [Re: jugmaster] #1586052 09/06/07 01:03 PM
S
SuzieQ Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
We will see who gets the most of BOTH! I ordered and already received a Burgess Aerator for the bait. Interesting item. Thought about sticking it in my pond to see how it works. Will let you know.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide