Forums59
Topics1,037,876
Posts13,935,915
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? [Re: SoCal Tom] #12184199 04/05/17 02:29 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
I had a couple. They were noisy and loose and I just never liked them. For the same price point I can buy Daiwa, Abu Garcia or Lews. All are far better in my opinion.

Saying you "had a couple" seems like baseless info with respect to the question asked. Of the hundreds of models that Quantum has offered over a period of many years, which did you have? If something from 6-10 years ago, then I could see not liking them. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you did NOT own EXO or Smoke models. Even the Energy is pretty good for the price paid, though that one has been replaced by "Vapor" (which has a cooler name to get more buyers).

I have a pile of the Smoke and EXO reels, in 100, 200, and 300 size. I view them as high quality, and I quit buying Abu Garcia. In fact, the Gen 3 Winch I had bought is now my wife's cranking reel, if that tells you anything.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 04/05/17 02:30 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? [Re: Lil' Louie] #12184245 04/05/17 02:49 PM
LvilleLrat Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie
I prolly just suck at casting but man I bought 3 Exo's used from a few different folks and I've never backlashed so many dang times in my life with em. Unless I tighten everything up where the longest cast I can make is like 10 yards that's the only way I don't backlash every 15-20 casts... Again I prolly just suck. But I do like the feel (lightweight) of the reels... Anybody wanna trade???? smile

Louie I'll take them EXO's off your hands!!

www.sure-life.com
EDGE HEDZ Shaky Head Jigs

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? [Re: Lil' Louie] #12184280 04/05/17 03:00 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I prolly just suck at casting but man I bought 3 Exo's used from a few different folks and I've never backlashed so many dang times in my life with em. Unless I tighten everything up where the longest cast I can make is like 10 yards that's the only way I don't backlash every 15-20 casts... Again I prolly just suck. But I do like the feel (lightweight) of the reels... Anybody wanna trade???? smile

Are you aware of the brake setting dial INSIDE the reel under the side cover on the spool sideplate? On the later EXOs, there is a small safety lock button on the sideplate near the bottom that must be pushed before the sliding "Lock/Unlock" lever can be moved. This is how you get inside it to make the setting change.

The spool shaft is supported by 2 or 3 high-quality bearings for the better Quantum reels (where the EXO was the flagship). I believe that the pinion completely decouples on Smoke and EXO, so this makes "free spool" REALLY REALLY mean FREE! The drag on the spool spinning is virtually non-existent, and this is a fantastic starting point. Depending on angler skill, more or less brake and spool tension is needed. Someone who is used to casting cheap reels (with lots of drag) will find they need to adjust and practice when they move up to any of the high-quality reels, regardless of brand.

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? [Re: Ryan B] #12184304 04/05/17 03:10 PM
B
Bassalong Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I own several brands of reels and have adjusted all of them every which way, hidden centrifugal weights and spool fulness included. The Quantum I owned underwent all of these adjustments and still would not work FOR ME. It sits in the rod box unattached to any rod and soon will be demoted to the basement. But, I'm not saying that this same reel couldn't work for someone else. Everyone is a bit different in casting form and strength. {But that same reel was given to me by my son who also couldn't get it to work.}

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? [Re: matt varnadore] #12184819 04/05/17 07:35 PM
L
Lil' Louie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: matt varnadore
If you are back lashing that exo pull the side cover off and adjust the internal brake. Apparently a lot of people don't know there is one example inside the side cover.

ya I have. That's what I mess with the most.

[Linked Image]

PB 12.88lbs, Lake Fork 3-17-2013 8:45 a.m.

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? [Re: LvilleLrat] #12184821 04/05/17 07:35 PM
L
Lil' Louie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: LvilleLrat

Louie I'll take them EXO's off your hands!!

lol oh I know, I know....

[Linked Image]

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? [Re: Flippin-Out] #12184829 04/05/17 07:38 PM
L
Lil' Louie Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

Are you aware of the brake setting dial INSIDE the reel under the side cover on the spool sideplate? On the later EXOs, there is a small safety lock button on the sideplate near the bottom that must be pushed before the sliding "Lock/Unlock" lever can be moved. This is how you get inside it to make the setting change.

The spool shaft is supported by 2 or 3 high-quality bearings for the better Quantum reels (where the EXO was the flagship). I believe that the pinion completely decouples on Smoke and EXO, so this makes "free spool" REALLY REALLY mean FREE! The drag on the spool spinning is virtually non-existent, and this is a fantastic starting point. Depending on angler skill, more or less brake and spool tension is needed. Someone who is used to casting cheap reels (with lots of drag) will find they need to adjust and practice when they move up to any of the high-quality reels, regardless of brand.

ya I've messed with it a bunch depending on if I'm trying to make long casts vs flippin and stuff... but really you prolly hit the nail on the head with high quality because I usually tend to stick with the cheaper stuff which really works just fine. Maybe its just too fancy for me. But I think I finally got it figured out for the most part.

[Linked Image]

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? [Re: Ryan B] #12185368 04/06/17 12:51 AM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Online Embarrased
TFF Team Angler
Online Embarrased
TFF Team Angler
F
JUNK!

Re: Picked up my first quantum reel. What are yalls opinions on quantum? [Re: Ryan B] #12185527 04/06/17 01:49 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Don't own any they were the one brand my reel repair guy wouldn't work on, said they were junk.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide