psalty Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
Originally Posted By: psalty
Hmmm, maybe so, but the catfish might have a difference of opinion. eek2

That's what he eats. Fish, not humans.
Sounds like I maybe hit a nerve, I guess I should have said "Hmmm, maybe so, but the catfish might have a difference of opinion." lol_2 chill flehan

Matthew 4:19
Script-Lures by Psalty
founder and directed by the Big Fisherman
Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: psalty] #12108915 02/23/17 09:31 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Sounds like I maybe hit a nerve, I guess I should have said "Hmmm, maybe so, but the catfish might have a difference of opinion." lol_2 chill flehan

I'm chill!

Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: cmcclora] #12108936 02/23/17 09:41 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I recall one Jimmy Houston fishing episode where he said his cameraman had been all over the world with him in tough conditions, never showed any fear at all even with lightning strikes close by. Then, a snake got on board one day and the video goes all nuts as he spins around and got real close to jumping out of the boat. It was so funny to see him go sort of nuts. But, he was THAT afraid of snakes.

Well, water moccasins are usually nocturnal feeders. You could hardly make one bite you. And, they are typically not very long, actually stubby and blunt tailed. What we mainly see around here are Diamondback water snakes and blotched water snakes and a few others. These are often well over 6 feet in length, stink to high heavens and are super aggressive.

And, what looks like a water moccasin getting ready to strike where it cocks its head and flares open its mouth is really a defensive mechanism. One biologist publishes YouTube videos on various reptiles found here in Texas and he'll nudge them with his boot and says he can never get them to strike. Quite passive as water snakes go but they have a bad reputation.

I don't think snakes are attracted to boats and kayaks either, just like Todd and others have mentioned, and certainly not to colors. I think what they see, bad vision and all, is something that looks like a structure they can climb up on mid swim across a wide cove. Or, they hear some commotion in the water, sound and vibrations, and that may be a trigger for them to swim toward it.

For other reasons, I carry an Attack Hand Paddle but it would be an excellent tool to discourage a confused snake.

Snakes don't like people, avoid us at all odds when they can.

Do be careful gliding under trees especially on rivers where they often overhang the water just lazily draped over a branch. Snakes likely like this because they can drop into the water very quickly to protect themselves. Snakes often climb up to sun themselves or even get out of the sun or just take a nap.

I used to catch baby water snakes bare handed, got bitten repeatedly one day handling my latest catch. My mother made me go to the doctor and he sort of chewed me out, said that while these were not venomous, that non-venomous snakes ate vermin and other things and could carry nasty germs in their mouths that would be bad for a human to come in contact with.

I ended up getting a shot that day of some sort . . . a decade later, in 1974, I had a degree in Biology with an emphasis in Environmental Sciences.

Attracted to snakes, away from snakes, then back to snakes. Go figure.

Brad

Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: Brad R] #12109124 02/23/17 11:35 PM
P
psalty Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Brad R
I recall one Jimmy Houston fishing episode where he said his cameraman had been all over the world with him in tough conditions, never showed any fear at all even with lightning strikes close by. Then, a snake got on board one day and the video goes all nuts as he spins around and got real close to jumping out of the boat. It was so funny to see him go sort of nuts. But, he was THAT afraid of snakes.

Well, water moccasins are usually nocturnal feeders. You could hardly make one bite you. And, they are typically not very long, actually stubby and blunt tailed. What we mainly see around here are Diamondback water snakes and blotched water snakes and a few others. These are often well over 6 feet in length, stink to high heavens and are super aggressive.

And, what looks like a water moccasin getting ready to strike where it cocks its head and flares open its mouth is really a defensive mechanism. One biologist publishes YouTube videos on various reptiles found here in Texas and he'll nudge them with his boot and says he can never get them to strike. Quite passive as water snakes go but they have a bad reputation.

I don't think snakes are attracted to boats and kayaks either, just like Todd and others have mentioned, and certainly not to colors. I think what they see, bad vision and all, is something that looks like a structure they can climb up on mid swim across a wide cove. Or, they hear some commotion in the water, sound and vibrations, and that may be a trigger for them to swim toward it.

For other reasons, I carry an Attack Hand Paddle but it would be an excellent tool to discourage a confused snake.

Snakes don't like people, avoid us at all odds when they can.

Do be careful gliding under trees especially on rivers where they often overhang the water just lazily draped over a branch. Snakes likely like this because they can drop into the water very quickly to protect themselves. Snakes often climb up to sun themselves or even get out of the sun or just take a nap.

I used to catch baby water snakes bare handed, got bitten repeatedly one day handling my latest catch. My mother made me go to the doctor and he sort of chewed me out, said that while these were not venomous, that non-venomous snakes ate vermin and other things and could carry nasty germs in their mouths that would be bad for a human to come in contact with.

I ended up getting a shot that day of some sort . . . a decade later, in 1974, I had a degree in Biology with an emphasis in Environmental Sciences.

Attracted to snakes, away from snakes, then back to snakes. Go figure.

Brad

Thanks for the report Brad. Sounds like you could be respected as a real man of the outdoors and honest also especially in regards to issues with being bitten by a non-venomous snake. Caution could be best maybe even for "Pfft opinors". hmmm

Script-Lures by Psalty
Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: Huckleberry] #12109126 02/23/17 11:36 PM
P
psalty Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P

I'm chill!
bump

Script-Lures by Psalty
Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: cmcclora] #12109540 02/24/17 03:37 AM
J
joebeasley Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
This big boy was sitting by one of my favorite stumps. I let him have it.

Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: cmcclora] #12109673 02/24/17 08:16 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I've had them try to get in the boat.

[Linked Image]

Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: cmcclora] #12110782 02/24/17 11:48 PM
I
IslandJim Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
I
When I was a kid, my Dad and I were in his 12' wooden rowboat, and we had a .22 single shot rifle with
"rat shot" in it. We went under a willow tree, and a four-foot Cottonmouth dropped into the boat! I immediately grabbed the .22 and got ready to shoot, when my Dad grabbed my arm and said, Let's get him out with the paddle!" Better plan. We got the snake out of the boat. And, we didn't have to bail or repair a hole in the bottom of the boat.
When I began kayaking, I fished the Guadalupe at Kerrville, and saw lots of water snakes, none poisonous. I leave them alone, and they leave me alone.
My nephew's nickname is "Snakeman", and he'd almost kill me if I told him I killed any snake! They are really very good for the animal world. The only overtly "aggressive" snake I ever saw was a Bushmaster, a cousin of the rattlesnakes, in Venezuela. He was really a baddass!
IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: cmcclora] #12111206 02/25/17 04:43 AM
S
SuperSpookJr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I've had several banded water snakes come over to take a look at me and my kayak. They're curious, not necessarily aggressive. And they're not dangerous. But, due to fear and ignorance, every water snake encountered in the wild becomes a highly venomous water moccasin in the over-active imaginations of fishermen. If one comes too close, whack him with the tip of your rod. He'll go away. Or, if your line is already in the water, you can sometimes flip them into the air. They'll get the message.

I fish the Lower Colorado quite a bit, and some trees and lay downs will be full of snakes. Nothing to freak out about, just don't get too close or bush up against them. I really hate seeing snakes killed for no reason. Just leave them alone and they'll do the same.

Last edited by SuperSpookJr; 02/25/17 04:44 AM.
Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: cmcclora] #12111233 02/25/17 05:10 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I've seen them both in fresh and saltwater, but haven't had one try to come aboard. Most of the ones I see in fresh water are the diamondback water snake that get mistaken for cotton mouths.

I had a rattlesnake swim not too far in front of me in the salt marsh. I'm a little more wary of those as they are hard to spot in the driftwood and salt grass. In general, Snakes don't bother me too much but it wouldn't be good to get tagged by a western diamond back way back in some salt marsh.

Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: cmcclora] #12111470 02/25/17 02:31 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
karstopo/all,

That'd be my take on rattlers, too, as they are very aggressive and have the nastiest of all venoms for USA snakes as I recall. Yes, the coral snake has a different sort, also bad voodoo.

A kid at a Blue Raider game near SWHS in Fort Worth, this would have been 50 years ago, found a snake, picked it up and put it in an empty coke cup, messed around with it, it eventually bit him. His arm had to be amputated at the elbow joint as I recall. This, from a baby rattler . . . with people around and quick attention to the bite.

We caught coral snakes when I was a college kid on biology field trips down by Canyon Lake. Our professor handled them carefully but wasn't much concerned at all. They have tiny mouths and and are generally not very aggressive. Copperheads are more aggressive, but for many, a bite is like a bad bee sting, rarely fatal unless some allergic reaction occurs. I had a close encounter with a copperhead canoeing down the Brazos about 45 years ago . . . thought I'd pull over to a steep bank to stretch my legs and look around, sidled up next to a bank covered with grass, grabbed two hand fulls to pull myself up the bank and as I spread the grass out, there it was . . . a very large copperhead.

Still, just keeping some distance from all snakes is a great idea.

We caught a > 6 ft. rat snake hunting in my back yard several months ago (Lake Athens). I wish, I hope, I have dozens of them as they balance things out in nature, eat mice, etc. Now . . . if I can just keep them from climbing into my bluebird nesting boxes! Great climbers, I saw one stuck to the side of a brick wall . . . like it had Velcro on its underside (it does in a manner of speaking with specialized scales to hold it as it climbs vertical structures). It was going after some baby birds in a nest built in the soffit area under a porch.

They say that if you toss a rat snake into an attic with squirrels or mice, it'll be vacated really fast. How does the snake get out, they ask? The same way the mice got in.

Brad

Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: cmcclora] #12113580 02/27/17 01:44 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
If I was afraid of snakes I wouldn't fish.. See them all the time and can identify those that do harm. I have never had a bad experience on the water in the yak. Walking the banks is the time to be very aware of snakes. Copperheads are the most like to be encountered around the places I fish and will tag you on the ankle if bothered. Painful but seldom life threatening except for those that die of fear and panic.

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: dumb question? snakes [Re: cmcclora] #12120210 03/02/17 03:30 PM
C
CBoone Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
They normally will leave you alone. Unless you happen to be paddling up a creek, under trees, and you have one fall into your lap. Been there done that. Was not fun to have a big water snake at eye level to my crouch with just thin board shorts on. Luckily he decided he'd rather be in the water than in the kayak and off he went.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide