Print Thread
Petitioning TPWD to change bag limits #12526294 12/04/17 04:44 PM
C
CBoone Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Is there any point in trying to do this? Has anyone ever had any luck?

Backstory:

Small (~300 acre) lake, slot lake, known for big fish but on the decline, not a tournament destination for even any club/local groups (that I've seen in 2-3 years)

Ran into a large family of crappie fisherman over the weekend on this lake. I'm friendly with everyone and wasn't in a hurry so I let the lady talk. She proceeds to tell me that they come out as a family (and sometimes more with their friends) and always limit on Crappie. She then asks me if I eat bass (which I said yes to - I keep them out of my private ponds so they don't get overstocked). She then follows that up with telling me how every trip they keep their limit of bass too and also keep as many overs as the law allows. Said so far this year they've kept a 14, 12, numerous 10s, etc...you get where this is going.

I've seen this boat/family out there all the time - and I've watched them wear out the crappie - so no doubt there is some truth to what they're saying.

But wouldn't keeping overs like this on a less than 300 acre lake be pretty detrimental with time? Especially a lake where TPWD has (or had) a lot of interest in growing fish to that class. Given the demographics I don't doubt there is more of this going on.

Is it worth getting in touch with someone and addressing my concerns? This lake is in my back yard and it seems like it fishes worse and worse. It has its days and I have caught a few nice fish this year - but nothing like before. It took a beating when all the grass was killed off - which is slowly coming back now..but to hear of overs being kept to that level makes me wonder...Obviously I figured some were...but not on this level.

I highly doubt they'd do it, but I'd love to see TPWD make this lake catch and release only for LMB...at least for a few years...or at least bump up the slot a few inches...All it would affect is the meat haulers...like I said - no tournament stops on this lake that I've seen in years.

Last edited by CBoone; 12/04/17 04:45 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Petitioning TPWD to change bag limits [Re: CBoone] #12526482 12/04/17 06:31 PM
TBassYates Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
It never hurts to get in touch with them. One time many years ago I had an idea regarding Lake Fork during the spawn of the year that I brought up to TPWD regarding using buoys or some way to protect some well know small pockets and coves from anglers during a few month period of the spawn. My idea was having some area's where fish would not be pressured and harassed so they could do their thing in peace and my thinking was that it would the spawn. I figured a few places at different places all over the lake would make a difference.
I then received a really long detailed response that wasn't just someone saying "No, we don't have the money and resources to deal with that" but rather a really detailed and scientific report that actually gave me an answer that not only made me realize that those extreme's were not necessary but also made me feel totally better about the natural spawn on Fork and other lakes. I was blown away about the time they spent on just my suggestion but then again I shared it with a lot of my buddies at the time.

[Linked Image]
Re: Petitioning TPWD to change bag limits [Re: CBoone] #12526484 12/04/17 06:32 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
My experience is they will only look at changing it, or anything for that matter, after they have done a survey and the results suggest they make the change. Do they survey this lake? If so, it will be posted on the TPWD website and you can read their findings. They always state what suggestions they have for everything from stocking to vegetation to limits.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Petitioning TPWD to change bag limits [Re: CBoone] #12526718 12/04/17 09:37 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
If it is truly putting out those class of fish TPWD might be interested in making it C&R only, I know they did that with Purtis Creek and Raven. However if the special restrictions aren't working they will usually revert back to the standard bag limit of five 14" fish per day, they did this on aqilla when electofishing survey showed the slot regulation wasn't having he desired impact.

Re: Petitioning TPWD to change bag limits [Re: CBoone] #12527098 12/05/17 02:39 AM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
If you feel it's that bad, get in touch with them. It might get them out there to do a survey and that might get the ball rolling. Honestly though, the grass dying off is probably more of the reason. Right after it dies fishing will get great because they have no more cover so they gang up on what little it is left, usually brush piles. Then they get hammered and lack of cover lead to a down turn. It will cycle though and they will come back

Re: Petitioning TPWD to change bag limits [Re: CBoone] #12527104 12/05/17 02:43 AM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Feelings and science do not go together. You can ask but without facts it will go nowhere.

Re: Petitioning TPWD to change bag limits [Re: CBoone] #12527127 12/05/17 02:55 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Worked on kurth lake. After watching guys snag giants off beds and fill their coolers they finally put in catch and release over 16". Too late but it at least the giants are somewhat safe now

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide