Texas Fishing Forum

Beach Fishing in Padre Island

Posted By: Mr95

Beach Fishing in Padre Island - 09/19/17 10:14 PM

Can anyone give me some recommendations on what bait/lures to use fishing from the beach at SPI? not picky about what I catch just want to have some fun fishing. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Posted By: hurricane 201

Re: Beach Fishing in Padre Island - 09/20/17 02:35 PM

If you want to wade fish in the surf, you can't go wrong with small spoons.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Beach Fishing in Padre Island - 09/21/17 09:29 PM

Try these. A lot of folks use this. Stays on the hook real well.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/fishbites...oductextensions
Posted By: Mr95

Re: Beach Fishing in Padre Island - 09/21/17 10:13 PM

Thanks for the info guys. How do you rig those Fishbites? Like a Carolina rig with a fairly small hook or treble hook?
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Beach Fishing in Padre Island - 09/21/17 10:44 PM

Carolina rig with a size 1 or 2 strong stainless hook. I prefer a fairly long shank. You will need to use a fairly heavy slip sinker, 1oz at least.
Posted By: chapcat

Re: Beach Fishing in Padre Island - 09/23/17 10:33 PM

I fish the Padre Island surf frequently. If the waves are low, I will work topwater lures such as Rapala Skitterwalks or Heddon Super Spooks, with walk the dog action. If you are familiar with how to fish that way, you will have a good chance of catching some nice fat tide running trout, and an occasional redfish, spanish mackerel, crevalle jack, bluefish or ladyfish as well. The fish you catch on those lures when they are actively feeding will more often than not be keepers. Spoons were mentioned by another above, and are good as well as twitch baits like Mirrodines or Rapala XRaps. Otherwise, especially this time of year, I would be fishing live finger mullet or large chunks or fish heads of fresh cut mullet or ladyfish on a fish finder rig with a 7/0 to 10/0 circle hook for slot or bull reds. There have been lots of sharks lately, so you might consider using a steel leader.

If you just want to relax and catch a few, a double drop rig fished with dead shrimp or fishbites may catch beaucoup whiting, and may snag a red or two as well.
Posted By: 79scooter

Re: Beach Fishing in Padre Island - 09/24/17 04:22 PM

My dad is moving to Corpus in 2 weeks, he will be in Flour Bluff. I look forward to fishing more in the salt. Up till now I just fish the surf for what ever I can catch. Caught a 42 inch red couple years back and have become addicted. I here winter is a great time to surf fish, look forward to getting down that way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum