Texas Fishing Forum

$100 reel

Posted By: Styksnstryngs

$100 reel - 07/19/17 07:07 PM

Hey guys, my birthday is in November and depending on how I do on my PSAT and SAT, I might get myself a new reel. I am on a very tight budget, and $100 is my absolute max. Eighty would be better. So far, I've been looking at the abu Revo s, orra sx, orra inshore, Lew's speed spool lfs, the new origin tx coming out, and the KastKing Spartacus Maximus. The thing is, the reel will be used and abused in saltwater. I need dependability and corrosion resistance above all else. Something that will only need a freshwater hose-down after wades. I think my top contenders so far are the Lew's and the orra inshore. On a side note, has anyone used the w&m skeet victory ii in saltwater?
Posted By: psalty

Re: $100 reel - 07/19/17 08:09 PM

Check out the Penn's

Re: $100 reel - 07/19/17 09:15 PM

I'm talking lopro baitcasters
Posted By: COFF

Re: $100 reel - 07/19/17 09:22 PM

How about $60
Posted By: psalty

Re: $100 reel - 07/19/17 09:42 PM

Shimano? If Lew's you might check with repair folks. I have had some in the past tell me they don't touch Lew's.
I was not sure of your lopro preference.
$100 doesn't get you what it used to. Keep the faith and get what you want.
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: $100 reel - 07/19/17 10:45 PM

Can't beat lew's. All I use on my boat for inshore stuff. Big fish get the penn treatment.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: $100 reel - 07/19/17 11:16 PM

My $.02. I have a Shimano Chronarch C14+, and an Abu Garcia Orra-SX. I've been using them in saltwater marsh fishing for almost 2 years. I wash them down with freshwater after each outing. The $350 Shimano is much less tolerant of the salt. It is mostly carbon fiber, with a few metal parts. It got wet with saltwater and I didn't take it apart immediately, and I had to pound on the side plate to get it apart, and it cracked in a couple of places. It still works, but it has to have the side plate taken off BEFORE the salt dries! The aluminum spool has a few corrosion holes on the edge. I know this isn't a SALTWATER REEL, but I'm not very impressed.

My Orra-SX has about half as many parts(I know, as I've re-assembled both reels incorrectly many times). The only part of it that isn't saltwater compatible is the star drag thread, which is aluminum. If it isn't rinsed, it will lock up. The level wind mechanism needs frequent oiling, too.

I've finally gotten both reels to cast about the same, with about the same amount of backlashes. It took many adjustments to the initial spool drag, and the centrifugal brakes, before I got them reliably usable.

I would never buy another Shimano. Abu, Academy and Dick's had a big online sale recently, and the Orra-SX were $79.00. I'd buy another if I lost mine.

I don't know anything about the other reels you listed. Good luck!

Island Jim
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: $100 reel - 07/20/17 09:07 PM

Best reel you can buy for under $100 is a used Shimano Citica 200e. (The E series is important, as they were made in Japan unlike newer ones.) You can find one for around $70 if you keep an eye out. Best baitcaster you can buy for that money.

Edit to Add: You need to clean your reel after each use if you want to keep it alive. I don't care if you buy a $400 reel... if you dunk it and not open it up to clean it out and lube it, it will be trashed.
Posted By: Reich

Re: $100 reel - 07/26/17 08:25 PM

Diawa BG and the Penn Battle comes a close second.
Posted By: sfotw

Re: $100 reel - 07/28/17 03:46 PM

Hard to beat the Penn Battle for what you want to do, they are tough and easy to maintain for the salt. Keep your eyes open for sales on Amazon and academy, bass pro, etc... the so called "end of the season" is coming so you will be able to get a good deal.
Posted By: markchat

Re: $100 reel - 07/29/17 03:15 PM

Interesting. I may order one.
Originally Posted By: COFF
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: $100 reel - 07/29/17 05:57 PM

Lew's LFS 99$ Like mentioned previously, just take care of it and it will take care of you. Don't buy in to all this Saltwater rated hooplah. If wading and a reels gets dunked, it needs to be completely torn down and serviced, regardless the brand.

Re: $100 reel - 07/31/17 12:26 AM

I think I was misunderstood when I said the reels would be used and abused... I try very hard not to dick my reels. However, I do wade up to chest height, and saltwater spray is common. I always rinse my reels after trips with a hose on mist. And just one more time, baitcasting- not spinning. Are double shielded bearings better than single shielded?
Posted By: waterspout

Re: $100 reel - 08/02/17 11:11 AM

revo LEWIS OR SHIMANO. REVO IS SWEET. CITICA IS VERY NICE. LEWIS IS PROVEN TOO. tHERE ARE ALSO CHEAP GOOD CHINA STUFF OUT THERE 5 STAR FOR A CHEAPO ABU. IMAGINE THAT https://www.amazon.com/Abu-Garcia-PMAX3-...reels&psc=1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum