Texas Fishing Forum

Galveston kayak fishing suggestion??

Posted By: Outdoorsman23

Galveston kayak fishing suggestion?? - 07/02/17 02:07 PM

Brand new to Houston from Ohio, looking to try my luck for some reds or trout out of my kayak. Looking for general safe locations to fish from a sit in kayak around Galveston or Texas city. Thanks for all the help guys!
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Galveston kayak fishing suggestion?? - 07/03/17 12:42 AM

You can access West Bay from Galveston Island State Park (on the bay side of the Bluewater Highway, not the Gulf side), but you first have to go to the park office on the Gulf side to get your pass. Several miles to the southwest in the direction of Surfside you will come close to Christmas Bay which can be accessed from a couple roads that connect the highway to the bay.
Posted By: 5wtflyfisher

Re: Galveston kayak fishing suggestion?? - 07/03/17 03:19 AM

get you some live shrimp / mullet off the highway going in to galveston. make sure to have a battery powered air pump.

I fish this every year. its shallow and has reds, flounders and trout...

launch at the end and park in the safe area about 200 yards past the parking signs...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sportsman+Rd,+Galveston,+TX+77554/@29.2568937,-94.9176137,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x863f8338b9154c7f:0xdaee16d4754b4d40!8m2!3d29.259786!4d-94.9077968

It is very easy access and has plenty of space for kayaking. you can go all the way to the middle and find the oyster beds. At night before light you can see people gigging for flounders by wading.

A lot fish the TX city Dike from the shore too. I have fished standing on the jetties in Galveston across from the Academy sporting goods.

Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Galveston kayak fishing suggestion?? - 07/03/17 01:09 PM

Halls Bayou area, south of Bayou Vista's RR Tracks
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Galveston kayak fishing suggestion?? - 07/03/17 01:14 PM

Halls Bayou area, south of Bayou Vista's RR Tracks.
Virginia Point to Swan Lake
Moses Lake
Posted By: smith04

Re: Galveston kayak fishing suggestion?? - 07/08/17 04:57 AM

I fish quite a bit from a kayak. Buy Ray Crawford's book "Wade and Kayak Fishing on the Upper Texas Coast".

Wade and Kayak Fishing on the Upper Texas Coast

I am on my second book, I wore the first one out. Everyone I know who has it (or borrowed mine) loves it. It has great information about fishing Galveston Bay (including East, West, Trinity)including directions, maps and pictures of launch sites.
Posted By: smith04

Re: Galveston kayak fishing suggestion?? - 07/08/17 05:02 AM

Oh, and join P.A.C.K, a local kayak club in Houston (or one of the other two).

Paddling Anglers in Canoes and Kayaks

We have meetings at the Trini Mendenhall Community Center (formerly Soso Community Center) at 1414 Wirt Road, Houston TX starting at 6:30 PM. Check out tab "Events" to see the meeting speakers and the fishing trips we have.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum