Texas Fishing Forum

Kayak fishing south Bird island Basin

Posted By: mitch14013

Kayak fishing south Bird island Basin - 05/21/17 02:27 PM

I am staying on North Padre island for memorial day weekend fri-sun anyone ever fish south bird island basin? Looks like a good place on map just wanting to get experiences and ideas for my trip any advice or alternate better fishing areas would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Woolly

Re: Kayak fishing south Bird island Basin - 05/22/17 02:12 AM

Should be great as long as the wind is not to strong for kayaking. How do you plan to fish? Bait, tackle, etc. And hopefully, not too many boats out there running around. You can get to places the boats cant get to on a kayak.

Re: Kayak fishing south Bird island Basin - 05/22/17 06:37 PM

Thank you for the reply...I was planning on using my basic setup of spinning rods 20lb. Braid with flouro leader rockport rattlers gulp shrimp and other plastics as fish dictate hopefully...I just hope wind plays wel. I have an chor which isually helps. Never been to that landscape so just hoping it all looks normal..
Posted By: 1Fisher77316

Re: Kayak fishing south Bird island Basin - 05/22/17 10:19 PM

Instead of South..head North to the small bay that is visible from the launch..I believe it is called Night Hawk Bay..not sure. Over the years I've caught many trout and reds out of that area. Usually underutilized. It's all wadeable though some areas are pretty soft. It is very protected when you have a high South coming across the Island. Look for small drops and pot holes if the tide is pretty low. remember you can wade almost the whole area out to the ICW. Don't be bashful about anchoring up and getting out to wade. Its quieter and very effective.
Send me a PM and let me know how you do.
Tight lines!
1Fisher77316

Re: Kayak fishing south Bird island Basin - 05/23/17 05:37 PM

Thank you for the tips I really appreciate it, I thought that is what this site was for and some people seem to think they will be hurting their fishing by giving fair, honest advice. Thank you once again I will head your advice I always keep my wadegear on when Kayaking. Mainly because my back hurts and I need to stand up and walk :-). I will definitely let you know how it goes....I started wadefishing about 3 years ago and have plenty spots in Rockport but none around North Padre and that is where the wife picked out a condo for this trip...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum