Texas Fishing Forum

Galveston Trip Next Week

Posted By: JCG57

Galveston Trip Next Week - 04/29/17 08:40 PM

Heading to the west end of Galveston Island and will bring kayak. Any suggested spots for fishing the south shoreline of West Bay for trout/reds/flounder? Thinking of putting in at the State Park and/or at the Sea Isle pier.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Galveston Trip Next Week - 05/11/17 12:04 PM

How did you do?

I am going in a week or so. Not bringing the yak but will be trying some surf fishing.

Re: Galveston Trip Next Week - 05/14/17 01:11 PM

Decent. Surf did not produce anything worthwhile, but did catch a 22-inch spec in the bay along with a couple nice flounder and several smaller specs. If you are just fishing the surf you have to hope you luck into good wind conditions, which from my experience is less than a 50/50 probability.

Re: Galveston Trip Next Week - 05/15/17 11:41 AM

Thanks for the update.

I think we will have the option to fish the bay side or the ocean side. The house we are staying is on the bay side though. So maybe will concentrate there.

Ive got some gulp shrimp in penny and some jig heads, some white swimbaits, a few topwater plugs and some spoons.

Not sure what else to try as I am so new to this saltlife but... hopefully I can catch something!
Posted By: KBW

Re: Galveston Trip Next Week - 05/16/17 03:48 PM

Its hard to beat live shrimp or mud minnows under a cork on the bay side.

For the surf you can cast top waters, spoons, jigs, and corks with live shrimp to your left and right between the waves and 1st and 2nd gut.

For chilling type fishing, mullet heads or stingray whole or part fished on a small steel leader and 3oz + spider weight casted as far as ya can get it can get ya bull reds and shark. Fish on the bottom like your catfishing.

Re: Galveston Trip Next Week - 05/17/17 04:09 PM

Thanks for sharing KBW... I will for sure give yall updates on how I do.

It should be a hoot! I like the idea of catching some baitfish and using those. I have got some steel leaders ready to go and a throw net that I am pretty good with.

I think if I just wade out a ways I can catch something in it.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Galveston Trip Next Week - 05/22/17 09:15 PM

Sounds like a good time JCG57. How was the seaweed?

Re: Galveston Trip Next Week - 05/22/17 10:33 PM

There was no seaweed at all in the surf, just a few jellyfish to burn the legs every now and then. There was quite a bit of seaweed in the bay, but it did not interfere too much with the fishing. Probably had to clear the lure about every third cast.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum