Texas Fishing Forum

Shark fishing .

Posted By: Hunter1323

Shark fishing . - 12/12/16 07:13 PM

Looking to get a bit more into shark fishing . Biggest shark I've caught was around 3 foot. Looking to go for the bigger boys . Around 5-6 ft. Anyone got any recommendations as far as getting setup with a rig.
Posted By: xmatador

Re: Shark fishing . - 12/12/16 07:24 PM

From boat or shore? Everything you want to know about land based shark fishing is here. Check out the handbooks at the top of the screen.

http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/messageboard/
Posted By: Hunter1323

Re: Shark fishing . - 12/12/16 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: xmatador
From boat or shore? Everything you want to know about land based shark fishing is here. Check out the handbooks at the top of the screen.

http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/messageboard/

Will be fishing from the shore . Most likely wading/casting the bait out. Just looking to get yalls opinion on a reel & rod & accessories . Can spend around $350 on a rod & reel
Posted By: Froghunter

Re: Shark fishing . - 12/13/16 06:02 AM

I'm a big fan of the penn spin fisher v series. These reels come in all sizes.

I'm no help on the rod though. Only advice I have there is to get a 12' rod.
Posted By: Sopwell Fishing

Re: Shark fishing . - 12/13/16 04:37 PM

I also want to make sure I get to the fishing beach for slack tide, which should make life a bit easier for myself.
Posted By: outdoorsman916

Re: Shark fishing . - 12/17/16 02:07 PM

I would recommend you look at an Avet JX they cast really well and hold plenty of line. (About 400 yards) For a rod I would look at a FTU surf rod. They load up really well and can stand up to those size sharks. The rod and reel will cost you about 350.
Posted By: xmatador

Re: Shark fishing . - 12/19/16 09:51 PM

It's too cold to catch sharks. Most species migrate south to warmer water. You can have better luck in the lower coast since the water is slightly warmer there. Sandbar sharks are around during the colder months in the upper coast, but there are few of them.
Posted By: seekfishing

Re: Shark fishing . - 12/24/16 11:03 AM

You should check out the 2017 seminar in the surf "shark series" next year. It is the only hands on seminar teaching surf fishing on the beach. The expert teaching the class has consistently caught large( 0ver 5 foot) shark for over 20 years. If interested don't delay the "black and red series"(monster reds and black drum) this Jan. 7th sold out in less than five days. If anyone has questions pm me.

Allan
Seekfishing.com
Posted By: Fisherpilot

Re: Shark fishing . - 12/25/16 09:47 PM

I too am wanting to get a good all around surf set up that can handle anything from hardheads to decent sized sharks. I am either going with an Avet MXL or JX. I travel for a living so I am looking into some travel surf rods.

Hunter1323, let us know what you end up getting!
Posted By: outdoorsman916

Re: Shark fishing . - 12/27/16 03:47 PM

The Avet JX puts out more drag than an MXL so that would help if you hook into a decent shark. The JX is also a little narrower so that may help with casting, but both reels are great for casting.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum