Texas Fishing Forum

Winter Fishing Attire

Posted By: Connor S

Winter Fishing Attire - 11/21/16 10:50 PM

Been wading spring, summer and fall my whole life and have used waders countless times; but I have never had to bundle up in the dead of winter for a bone chilling wade before (I'm usually shivering my butt off in a deer blind sucking down a pot of coffee). But I have a trip planned this year and I was hoping the trophy trout chasers and the rest of you crazies can give me some advise on layering and what yall wear under yall's waders when it's really really cold.

Also, do y'all wear gloves of any sort or do you just embrace the frozen digits?

Here's what I was thinking..

Long johns, 1 thick pair of Smartwool socks, sweats (X2 if super cold), Under Armor base layer, thin pullover, vest, hoody, breathable waders, Simms jacket over it(Waterproof), neck gaiter, beany/hat.

Please feel free to critique it. Thanks for your help. Tight Lines!
Posted By: My Coast Outdoors

Re: Winter Fishing Attire - 11/22/16 01:07 AM

Sounds good.
On the socks make sure they are not to thick so your toes are not cramped.

Definitely make sure the jacket has a wind proof hood.

Hand warmers are a plus, just make sure that you do not open them and shove them in your pocket. They need the air to get hot first.

I have tried gloves, but its just not my thing. I do wear glove on the boat in the morning and if its cold I will put them on traveling to other spots.

If you are also wearing Simms waders that will help.

You can always take some off, but if you leave it at home you cant put it on.

Good luck, I love winter fishing for big trout with slow sinking lures!

Check out my signature.

Re: Winter Fishing Attire - 11/22/16 03:22 PM

I think some Simms G3's will be on the list for next year, but (fingers crossed) my Magellan Mag 2's have held up so far. Thanks for the help!
Posted By: My Coast Outdoors

Re: Winter Fishing Attire - 11/22/16 08:07 PM

I never tried the Mag 2, but I had the standard Magellans. I didnt see how other breathables could be warmer, so it took me awhile to move to Simms, but there is a big difference. Like I said the Mag 2 may be thicker.

Re: Winter Fishing Attire - 11/23/16 02:38 PM

The Mag 2's are good waders, especially for the price. 3 ply breathable wader with reinforced knees, and they are comfortable. They don't look bad either. The durability could be better as I've had to patch the seams a time or two in the few years I've had them. I'd put them in a quality starter wader bracket.

The Simms however are on a whole different level. USA made Gore Tex (The best wader material in the world), 3 ply and 5 ply on the legs, front and back leg seams to reduce wear, the quality of materials and the attention to detail during construction set the bar in the wader world. Believe me I'm a huge Simms fan. I just haven't been able to justify throwing down $500 on waders because I've never done that really cold wading before, so after this trip I'll probably talk myself into upgrading.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Winter Fishing Attire - 11/24/16 11:18 AM

Layer up! The more the better. Just be able to move easy. Thick wool socks. Remember that the water will usually be warmer than the outside air so plan accordingly.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Winter Fishing Attire - 11/24/16 05:01 PM

i don't wade anymore, but when i did i liked thick neoprene waders with a set of sweat pants and a hoodie, wool socks and a good wading jacket. i used the cheap nylon rubber palmed gloves from Memphis Glove Co. about $2 a pair.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Winter Fishing Attire - 11/24/16 10:54 PM

I ain't wading when it's thirty degrees. Not quite that mad at the trout.

Your best days in the winter are the south wind pre front and low sky so they aren't that cold. Neoprene waders hoodie and rain jacket pretty well do the trick.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum