Texas Fishing Forum

Moving to Houston soon- which rods to bring for shore/pier fishing?

Posted By: gmoftarki

Moving to Houston soon- which rods to bring for shore/pier fishing? - 09/07/16 09:51 PM

Tsunami 7' 3/4-4 1pc rod/Shimano Stradic FE 5000
Lamiglas 9' 1-3 Quantum Cabo 60
Lamiglas Ken Arra 9' Quantum Cabo 60
Shakespeare Ugly Stik Conventional 12' Abu-Garcia 7000
Star Rods 30-80 5'6 standup: TLD30
Star Rods 50-100 5'6 standup: TLD50LRSA
Daiwa Boat Eliminator 7': Newell 344-5
Tsunami 10' Airwave MH with Shimano Baitrunner 8500b(the big one)

I'm sure that I'll want the big Shakespeare and Tsunami rods for throwing big chunks of bait from the beach, but beyond that what should I prioritize bringing down? Will the 9' Lamiglas rods be useful for pier fishing? Or will I want something significantly shorter and stouter for the sake of muscling fish away from pilings and avoiding hooking my neighbors? Any suggestions on a reasonably priced rod in that category that would pair well with my Quantums for a semi-reasonable price?
Posted By: MathGeek

Re: Moving to Houston soon- which rods to bring for shore/pier fishing? - 09/08/16 01:37 PM

Piers can be tough on rods. We like Ugly Stiks. We use 12' beach rods for casting distance, and 6' stout bigwater boat rods for horsing big fish. You'll want at least one of each on most piers, because depending on conditions, you may want to do both.
Posted By: gmoftarki

Re: Moving to Houston soon- which rods to bring for shore/pier fishing? - 09/08/16 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Can you paint me a better picture of what you mean by 6' stout bigwater boat rods?

Presumably not the big stand-up conventional rods like the Star ones I have, but something like such? http://www.tackledirect.com/star-s306070hc-hand-crafted-spinning-rod.html
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum