Texas Fishing Forum

Port Aransas Winter Fishing?

Posted By: Tawakoni Todd

Port Aransas Winter Fishing? - 08/25/16 03:04 PM

Beginner information needed. I have lived in Dallas for 30 years and have been a freshwater fisherman. Very limited salt experience except in the summer chasing culling shrimp boats. Probably moving to Port A in the near future and am clueless to Bay fishing and am wondering how the fishing is inshore during the winter months. I suppose Trout and Reds still eat in the winter but is the bite still decent? I have a 24 foot center console so I doubt I would be willing to leave the Jetties in winter. I know I have a steep learning curve but that's half the fun. ANY COMMENTS APPRECIATED!!
Posted By: TOO

Re: Port Aransas Winter Fishing? - 08/26/16 01:57 AM

The bite along the Coastal Bend will depend on water temps more than anything else. Cold norther weather will push the water out and drop temps, stacking the trout & reds in deep water.

A normal winter will find the game fish sliding into deeper water during cold front weather and as the temps moderate and you get sun, they'll move up on the flats & shallower water.

Consider fishing a bit slower, to real slow, and consider fishing mid-afternoon as the water warms for the day.

I've caught plenty dandy trout in 8"+/- of water in late February in the Laguna Madre system. Water temp was low 70's due to sunny afternoon and a south breeze.

Fish the jetties in the winter for big sheepies and blackies, keeps cabin fever away.
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Port Aransas Winter Fishing? - 08/26/16 01:39 PM

Fish gotta eat, no matter what season it is.

In fact, some anglers prefer the winter months to fish - not just for table fare, but for Trophy Trout.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Port Aransas Winter Fishing? - 08/26/16 02:34 PM

I prefer late fall/winter fishing, there's days you avoid, but on the days you can go, it's far superior. Less traffic, easier to pattern, and larger average.
Posted By: scott01

Re: Port Aransas Winter Fishing? - 08/26/16 06:50 PM

caught some awesome trout in late November (Thanksgiving) in Baffin Bay. Plenty of keepers and even some over 30", topwater bite early then lead head and fluke combo mostly. But, live shrimp will catch some too, my cousin prefers live bait, I'm the artificial bait guy, lol. Fishing at night under lights by docks puts plenty in the cooler too. Can't say we've fished deeper than 6', mostly shallower than that.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Port Aransas Winter Fishing? - 08/27/16 01:35 PM

We try to equate things in nature to ourselves. Fish are cold blooded, they have no idea what cold, or hot is. They are creatures of their environment, and simply do what their instincts tell them. Which is why we lose so many fish during a hard freeze.

Remember, the only thing instinct tells a 30" trout is that their only danger lies out there in the deep water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum