Texas Fishing Forum

Port O'Connor Sea Turtles

Posted By: drywaller

Port O'Connor Sea Turtles - 08/15/16 01:31 PM

Fishing at Port O'Connor this past Saturday and hooked not one but two sea turtles, first one we managed to remove hook while still in the water but this guy got tangled in another line so we had to net, untangle and remove hook on board. Took a quick picture and then back in the water. He swam away fine. Fishing was slow so this made it a memorable trip
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Port O'Connor Sea Turtles - 08/15/16 02:11 PM

I have found lots of nest when they hatch and swim into the ocean. We go out around 10 pm and catch some of them.

Pretty cool little creatures
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Port O'Connor Sea Turtles - 08/16/16 02:46 AM

I caught (not trying to) one down there last October. I was wading and had been seeing them around. I was fly fishing and I don't know if it went for the fly or just was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Took a while to get the turtle in. I guessed it weighed 8-10 pounds. It didn't seem like it wanted to bite me and I had little trouble getting the hook out. It swam off and appeared to be in good order. Seen some in the Christmas Bay Area. My friend caught one there, again not trying to. He has fishing an Artie of some sort.
Posted By: drywaller

Re: Port O'Connor Sea Turtles - 08/16/16 02:12 PM

We were fishing with croaker and no idea they were in the area, never saw them come to surface. The two we caught were pretty small I'm told. A boat that we were with said they saw one in the same area that was a lot larger than ours. It was pretty cool to hold one and release
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Port O'Connor Sea Turtles - 08/18/16 10:25 AM

Cool post. Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: mayjor4

Re: Port O'Connor Sea Turtles - 08/19/16 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
I have found lots of nest when they hatch and swim into the ocean. We go out around 10 pm and catch some of them.

Pretty cool little creatures

Pretty sure that's illegal? Like.. Really illegal?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum