Texas Fishing Forum

Flat Bottom, "High" winds

Posted By: Corbin Foster

Flat Bottom, "High" winds - 06/30/16 01:13 AM

I am heading Port Mansfield from San Antonio tomorrow night and taking the boat out all day Friday with the wife. I see the forecast is calling for 18 mph SSE winds later in the evening. My gameplan is to make a B-line to the Jetties and fish the surf-side of PINS for kings, reds, jacks, etc.. I want to know your opinion on fishing in a john boat with those kind of winds. It is a 20 foot long 72 inch wide custom made aluminum boat with a 115 yamaha 4stroke. Super wide, super stable, and 31 inch sides. Honest opinions.

Thanks!

Re: Flat Bottom, "High" winds - 06/30/16 01:23 AM

I figure with a SSE wind, fishing the surf side of PINS jetty would block most current but I am not sure on what to expect as far as trying to get back through the ship channel and the bay
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Flat Bottom, "High" winds - 06/30/16 03:40 PM

I think with the swell that wind will create, I'd be staying inside the bay.
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: Flat Bottom, "High" winds - 07/01/16 03:49 PM

When they "call" for 18mph SSE expect a constant 20-25mph with a gust or two over 30mph at some point guaranteed.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Flat Bottom, "High" winds - 07/01/16 04:59 PM

That's a nice rig, setup great, with ONE very important thing to consider.

That rig is not self bailing. Torpedo one six foot rogue wave and you're in instant trouble.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Flat Bottom, "High" winds - 07/01/16 05:24 PM

There is no way I would take an aluminum out in those conditions. That is exactly why I sold my aluminum and bought a foam filled self bailing boat.
Posted By: Coolshot

Re: Flat Bottom, "High" winds - 07/01/16 05:58 PM

Save your wifes kidneys!! Not worth it! There will be better days!
check your forecast too 18 knots is almost 21mph.
18mph wind bring 6 to 8 foot seas, not good for too many folks 2cents

Re: Flat Bottom, "High" winds - 07/04/16 06:12 AM

I decided not to go out of course! Was talking to local guys at the cleaning tables and they were being beat to death in a 27 foot deep-v boat. I dropped the boat and drove down PINS to the jetty. Tried floundering with no luck, it happens.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Flat Bottom, "High" winds - 07/11/16 06:33 AM

I almost swamped in the intersection of the ICW and east cut several years ago in a rig like yours (Xpress). Swells were 4' plus. Pick your battles, if the wind picks up, stay in the east cut until it calms down.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum