Texas Fishing Forum

Salt water baits

Posted By: woolyhogtail

Salt water baits - 04/23/16 01:24 PM

Holy cow! There's a lot of different baits to choose from. Any body got suggestions for what I really need? Just getting started on salt. I see a lot of people using the plum chart color on soft jerk baits and also a lot of chartreuse. I just need to get a few proven colors of jerks, maybe some of those rigged shrimp, and some of those Paul brown baits everybody talks about. I have plenty of top water baits so I just need suggestions on the other stuff. Thanks for the input. I'll be fishing the Galveston area if that matters
Posted By: D.D.R.

Re: Salt water baits - 04/23/16 06:08 PM

Light/bright colors for clear water, darker plastics for murkier water. Spinner baits, small jigs 1/8 -1/16 oz on light tackle gear. live shrimp or even plastic jig under a popping cork. And most of all, be persistent!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Salt water baits - 04/24/16 06:41 AM

Probably caught over 75 different species of saltwater fish using just the four baits below.

DOA Shrimp
DOA C.A.L. Shad Tail
DOA Baitbuster
DOA TerroEyez

http://www.doalures.com/category-s/1826.htm
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Salt water baits - 04/24/16 11:52 PM

Gold Spoon
popping corks w/ plastic of choice

Can't go wrong with Red Shad
Chicken on a chain
White/Chartruese
Black/Chartruese

Just throw something you have confidence with.
Posted By: FishWrangler2

Re: Salt water baits - 04/25/16 03:15 AM

I'd stick with soft plastics and maybe try to grab a package of root beer Gulp. Also, a gold weedless spoon for reds shallow. If you want to throw in a top water, I'd go with a silver Top Dog Jr. You'll learn that a lot of the rest is catching more fisherman than fish!
Posted By: BudT

Re: Salt water baits - 04/25/16 03:23 AM

Topwater, skitterwalk is a good all around. 1/8 & 1/4 oz jig heads, and bass assassins, Glow, Red Shad, Hammer Time are a few of my go to's....... Start simple, before you know it you'll need a tackle room, lol. Good luck.
Posted By: woolyhogtail

Re: Salt water baits - 04/25/16 01:07 PM

K thanks guys. I was going through my 10,000 bass lures and I found a lot of stuff I think will work. Gonna try to get down there pretty soon
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum