Texas Fishing Forum

Port O'Conner first timer

Posted By: formula462

Port O'Conner first timer - 03/31/16 02:50 AM

Hello all, I am planning a bike trip down the third week of April(unwind from tax season) to do some wade fishing with the fly rod and was looking for a little advice for me to go it alone. I know that a guide would be the way to go but after above mentioned season I doubt will have extra funds for one. Is there a fly shop in that area to buy bait or should I gather flies now? Would like to target reds and trout if possible any help greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Port O'Conner first timer - 03/31/16 11:38 AM

No boat? POC would be a tough task without it. No real access to the back lakes and grass flats by foot.

Re: Port O'Conner first timer - 03/31/16 02:57 PM

Thanks for that info I wasn't aware that you couldn't just "walk" in I'll have to rethink
Posted By: slimpickens

Re: Port O'Conner first timer - 03/31/16 04:43 PM

Pat is right very few places to fish in POC without a boat. There is a good flyfishing guide in the area and there are a few guides that will take u out and drop u off and come back and get u at designated time.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Port O'Conner first timer - 03/31/16 11:48 PM

Head further south and it would get easier.

Re: Port O'Conner first timer - 04/01/16 12:22 AM

I was informed that I would have access to a boat so may not be an issue but the boat could be used to get to wading area?
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: Port O'Conner first timer - 04/01/16 01:00 AM

With a boat there are a lot of places you can get too. Too many to name. Anywhere between the main land and the main island is a good place to fish. Some holes are better than others it can be a trial and error sometimes.

Re: Port O'Conner first timer - 04/01/16 02:43 AM

Thanks so much for tips excited to go
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Port O'Conner first timer - 04/01/16 05:06 AM

Is the oyster bar still out there? I caught some damn nice trout off of that one. Caught dad once on the backcast and he wasn't pleased. This was around 1994ish and I was 7yo cheers
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Port O'Conner first timer - 04/01/16 03:37 PM

Sounds like fun. Wish I still had my bike!

Re: Port O'Conner first timer - 04/01/16 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: MulGogiHunter
Sounds like fun. Wish I still had my bike!

I have an extra one if your interested coolio
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum