Texas Fishing Forum

Surf Questions

Posted By: toddparr

Surf Questions - 12/29/15 03:35 PM

Generally, I like my first post to a forum to be a contribution not a request, but here goes. I recently moved to the Houston area and am trying to take up surf fishing. I am not looking for any spots or tactics. I was just wondering about the "guts". I understand there are three or four and you want to be in the 2nd or third. How far do you need to wade/cast to reach these? I know it will vary from season to season and area to area. Just looking for general answers. Thanks!!
Posted By: outdoorsman916

Re: Surf Questions - 12/30/15 01:24 AM

I know the first guy is 60 yds. The 2nd is about 120 and I'm not sure about the 3rd. And west Galveston beach is great fishing. I will be down there Thursday for the black drum and bull reds.
Posted By: OldFrog

Re: Surf Questions - 12/30/15 08:35 PM

Most people wade too far out.
I've caught trout on live croaker in a foot of water while other guys were out there up to their necks catching hardheads.

The guts are different with different tides and at different locations. My advice is look up online...how to "read" the water. Might be some youtube videos about it.

I look for changes in the sand ON the beach, bait fish sparkles, birds, tiny splashes and where the first waves break at the beach.
Then again, I usually only fish at sunrise.

You might try San Luis pass on the Galveston side...but dont wade past thigh deep in there. The currents can be killers. Many have lost their lives in there over the years. I used to prefer beach access 61, ( I think)...a ways before you get to the pass.
Posted By: toddparr

Re: Surf Questions - 01/01/16 03:03 PM

thanks for the info gentlemen, it really helps. I took a recon trip down to Matagorda on Wednesday and I am amazed at how the water clarity changes from Galveston to Surfside and to Matagorda. The Brazos must be dumping a ton of sediment right now. Think I am going to stick to San Luis Pass and Surfside areas for now.
Posted By: CCRedFish

Re: Surf Questions - 01/07/16 03:10 AM

Check out www.breakawayusa.com
This guy Nick Meyer has lots of videos on how to read the surf as well as longcasting.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum