Texas Fishing Forum

When is the best time to catch Flounder?

Posted By: milton1allen

When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/06/15 03:11 PM

I have never caught flounder but really want to learn. I am wanting to spend a few days camping at Galveston Island State Park and fishing for flounder. When would be the best time to go? Also, I will be bank fishing, maybe wade fishing so where would be some key areas to go to. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/06/15 03:28 PM

Usually Fall into Winter. They migrate towards the Gulf. In Spring, they head back to the bays/estuaries. With that said, I've had luck @night during Summer near strucure. Jetty walls/ sand flatsixed w/shell. Primetime (IMO) is Oct.-Dec. This is when you catch quanity and quality. Think Bass fishing when throwing artificial baits. Short hops, dragging. Tup a bait with. some shrimp or belly meat from a baitfish. Gulp works well also.
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/06/15 08:12 PM

Fall into winter ...
Posted By: Bobby Light

Re: When is the best time to catch Flounder? - 08/09/15 01:00 AM

Fall-winter is the best time of year but make sure to plan it around the first new moon or right after the first quarter moon as that tends to be when the best action is. Wading is a great technique for flounder, and remember where you find 1 there are usually lots more so work the area thoroughly. Flounder tend to be ambush predators and will wait along the edges of drop offs in the cuts between spoil islands or reefs. Look for an outgoing tide when bait will get washed through these pinch points and you're sure to find flounder in the area. Good luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum