Texas Fishing Forum

Tips for fishing in Gulf Shores, AL

Posted By: happycampr

Tips for fishing in Gulf Shores, AL - 07/07/15 05:23 PM

Going on a family vacation in two weeks there and want to spend some time fishing with Dad. We have rented a house with a pier off of Little Lagoon but I just read that the fishing is generally pretty terrible in there in the, "dog days." Catching fish makes for better memories than drowning bait so if anyone has suggestions I would really appreciate it. I know the State Pier is an option but don't care much for rubbing elbows with folks when fishing. Am open to salt water or fresh at Shelby, wherever our chances are better. Thanks in advance!

Eric
Posted By: csbrad58

Re: Tips for fishing in Gulf Shores, AL - 07/08/15 02:55 AM

I am also headed close to Gulf shores at perdido key and any input to this would be great. I know pretty much nothing about coast fishing but I know how to fish. Any advice on where to fish, good to fish for, best to eat, and what bait to use would be great. Not asking for a specifics just a little direction. Thank you
Posted By: Wacky Walker

Re: Tips for fishing in Gulf Shores, AL - 07/10/15 08:06 PM

I fish there every summer. I can't speak to the current conditions, but last year we did really well in the surf on redfish and flounder on live shrimp in the early mornings with moving tides. Wading out to the 2nd sand bar produced larger fish. A 2-4oz (depending on the surf) pyramid weights on a steel or mono leaders works great. We also caught a bunch of sharks. Perdido Pass can also produce on moving tides with croaker and cut mullet. If you can find sand fleas, they are excellent Pompano bait which should also be in the surf this time of year. Trout and redfish can also be caught at night under dock lights. This is great in case you have kids coming along.

Traditionally, I utilize www.pensacolafishingforum.com to get better reports prior to arriving. Just don't tell them you are from Texas.
Posted By: flydoc

Re: Tips for fishing in Gulf Shores, AL - 07/12/15 01:45 PM

LL can be a dog during the day but redhot at nite.. Hit the dock lites either side of the cut on the southshore with small white streamers on the flyrod or light white jigs spinning.. Reds and trout will be waiting for the easy meal..
Posted By: happycampr

Re: Tips for fishing in Gulf Shores, AL - 07/12/15 04:13 PM

Awesome guys, thanks! The tips are much appreciated! cheers
Posted By: burton1795

Re: Tips for fishing in Gulf Shores, AL - 07/18/15 06:17 PM

Did well on top waters in the surf for specs last summer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum