Texas Fishing Forum

Shallow Water Anchor Length

Posted By: MudCat'83

Shallow Water Anchor Length - 06/16/15 12:22 PM

I'm looking at either 8' or 10', push pin type, fiberglass shallow water anchors for my 17' all-weld.

Just to be clear, I'm not even considering the Powerpole or Talon type anchors. All I need is a pole to stick in the mud.

Anyhow, I've priced out my options, measured my boat and still can't decide on either 8' or 10'.

I'd love to hear from some of you with experience with these type anchors. What water depth can I realistically expect to anchor in with a 8' pole? 10'?

It would seem that I'd need about 2' in the mud to hold and another 2' above the water surface. Based on this math I'd guesstimate that I could expect to anchor in 4' of water with an 8' anchor and 6' of water with a 10' pole. What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any info, shared experience, tips or tricks regarding the matter
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Shallow Water Anchor Length - 06/16/15 02:07 PM

I have the Dig In anchors on my boat and would recommend the 10' poles if you have the space. If your boat has a shallow draft you should be able to anchor in 6' of water with the 10' pole. On my boat it has higher draft and I can anchor in a little more than 4' with a 10' pole in the front but around 5 with a 8' pole in the back. The back mount is a motor mount so it is closer to the water level than up front.

I use mine a lot and even though they aren't remote activated I don't have any trouble setting up where ever I want. The only problem is if the lake bottom is real rocky you have to work sometimes to find a crevices to work the pole into so it will hold. But that is the only drawbacks I have found to the manual style anchoring systems.
Posted By: MudCat'83

Re: Shallow Water Anchor Length - 06/16/15 02:34 PM

Thanks for the info.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum