Texas Fishing Forum

Port A Kayak fishing this weekend - suggestion needed

Posted By: boricuastock

Port A Kayak fishing this weekend - suggestion needed - 05/26/15 06:53 PM

Hi All,

I've been following the threads for a bit here and am looking for some info on fishing in port Aransas. I am headed out there this weekend and am looking for a place to both camp and fish. This will be my first time to Port A. My buddy and I are renting some Hobies to take down there as well. We hope to catch some Reds and shark if possible but we will take anything. Is there good surf fishing around the San Jose Island? Any suggestions, especially on where to go with the Kayak would be welcome.
Posted By: TimL

Re: Port A Kayak fishing this weekend - suggestion needed - 05/27/15 06:07 PM

Lighthouse Lakes, and Brown & Root flats are popular kayak fishing areas for reds, trout and flounder. I have posted a link that should answer many questions you might have for places to launch and fish around Port A.

http://www.stxmaps.com/go/redfish-bay-fishing.html

As for camping, there are the state parks at Goose Island and Mustang Island.
Posted By: boricuastock

Re: Port A Kayak fishing this weekend - suggestion needed - 05/28/15 02:14 PM

Thanks for the info. Are there spots on Mustang Island that are better than others in terms of shore fishing? I am thinking that is where we will be during the night time hours, trying our luck in the surf.
Posted By: Ri0Getter

Re: Port A Kayak fishing this weekend - suggestion needed - 05/29/15 04:46 AM

are you allowed to camp at lighthouse lake trails?
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Port A Kayak fishing this weekend - suggestion needed - 05/29/15 12:26 PM

Unless something's changed, you can camp along the shoreline adjacent to 361. Not sure I'd want to leave my stuff there though.
Posted By: SlickWillie

Re: Port A Kayak fishing this weekend - suggestion needed - 05/29/15 01:54 PM

Nasty weather for camping in this area now. Tides are extremely high. The area across 361 where you can camp is likely flooded. There is some high ground down the Harbor Island Road (which has been re-surfaced) where folks tent camp at times.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum