Texas Fishing Forum

Rockport. Looking for pointers

Posted By: bankman72

Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/18/15 09:41 PM

Heading to Rockport this weekend for some guided red fishing. We go every year around this time and have a blast but the fishing off our rentals pier is never productive, unless you count hardheads. I'm rigged out pretty well with my catfish gear. 7.5ft rods on Abu 6500s. So I've got the gear to fight some decent fish but I only go to the coast once or twice a year so I never really find any spots and I'm not too keen on that copano pier although its better than the rental pier I'm sure.

So what what you guys do? I usually have no problem catching bait off our pier, mullet and croaker mostly. What are some spots I can hit up that can be productive at night or daytime? I'll be out there for 4 days and only goin with the guide one day I think.

Also I've got a couple 10ft surf rods with okuma avengers, is it worth the trip to Port A to fish the surf or should I just stay in the bay?

Thanks for any info guys. Feel free to PM if you want smile
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/18/15 10:08 PM

Good numbers of trout over shell and the reds are frisky running the grass lines chasing bait after the runoff from the recent rains.

We are in a "new Moon" phase with an incoming tide all morning over the next week will have conditions in your favor in the event you pick the right spot(s).

Re: Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/18/15 10:35 PM

Sweet! I'm gonna have to look into something like that. Problem with the rentals it seems like is that they never have much grass nearby. I feel like I'm fishing in an underwater desert.

I'd like to try at least one day of surf fishing if I can talk the other guys into it. I've done it a few times an seem to do decent at night. Last time I was in Port A we had a bit of a tough time finding any beach without people. I think that's why we did better at night after everyone cleared off.

Re: Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/19/15 03:55 PM

So looking at google maps I see a few areas that look pretty good for wading. Although I can't tell til I get there.

The first one looks to be a park behind the airport and also there looks like a spot next to the beach pier. Are either of those worth wading this time of year?

Re: Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/19/15 10:12 PM

The Airport Park is the most crowded wade spot in Texas ! They should have a hotel there this Memorial day weekend - LOL !!!

Google maps doesn't show underwater 'structure' so you'd have to wade that area before you would know what was there, if anything, to attract fish consistantly over the seasons and the years.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/20/15 03:43 AM

You could always wade the Bartell reefs off of the pier at Goose Island State Park.

Re: Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/20/15 06:15 AM

Jim - we are looking at 20 - 25+ mph SE winds this weekend and they've been 15-20+ last 2 days ... that muddy's up those reefs pretty good since they get the brunt of those winds against that shoreline.

So you'd be fighting both the wind/water conditions and the Memorial Day crowd @ GISP at that location this weekend.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/21/15 12:28 AM

You're right; I didn't know what the wind had been doing down there, but it will mess those reefs up for sure. Probably also be a lot of loose grass floating, especially over near and east of the boat cut, after a few days of strong SE winds. Makes it impossible to fly fish, for sure. I have flushed out a lot of reds on that grass flat just below Blackjack Point though, even when the water's at 6" visibility. You just can't see them to sight cast to them, and the loose grass won't let you present a lure without fouling it immediately.

We'll be down there in a few weeks, and I haven't gotten to fish in months. I sure hope it gets right by then. Maybe Cowchip or Cavasso.........

Memorial Day????? Wow! Time's fun when you're having flies....... I really need to get away from the office more often.

Re: Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/21/15 03:36 AM

I think my best option is goin to be hitting the grass along 361 on the way to Port A in the early morning before it gets crowded the at night after most of the beach goers head in then hit the surf. At least that's the plan as of now. Not real sure til I get down there lol
Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Re: Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/21/15 02:06 PM

If the fishing in the surf is on, it's worth the trip. But if it's not you are just wasting gas. It a hit or miss situation. Use shrimp on a Carolina rig to catch whiting or catch or buy mullet, throw them out on bottom for reds while using the shrimp to catch whiting while you wait. You may even catch a black drum on the shrimp too.

Re: Rockport. Looking for pointers - 05/21/15 07:28 PM

Sounds fun to me either way! Catching the whiting can be done close to shore? I was thinking I could toss out to the first gut for whiting and then to the 2nd or 3rd gut for the Reds. I'm just hoping the beach goers have thinned out by 8-9ish at night
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum