Texas Fishing Forum

surfside jetty question

Posted By: outdoorsman916

surfside jetty question - 04/20/15 10:49 PM

About what time of year do y'all start catching king fish off of the jetty's. also how do you catch them and what bait is best.
Posted By: 4x4Active

Re: surfside jetty question - 04/21/15 07:34 PM

When the water is hot and the clarity is super good. The Spanish mackerel is not even here yet in full force.

I use about 10 feet of 40 to 60 fluorocarbon leader and about 12 inch of 60-90 pound wire leader. You can use single strand of 7 strand. You can twist the single strand but you need to straight it out after a few bite or change a new one since it will twist. For 7 strand you need to crimp. It will stay straight even when fish bite.

We use treble hook with live shrimp under custom float bobbers.

Re: surfside jetty question - 04/21/15 09:38 PM

Thanks, by the way I meant king mackeral instead of Spanish.
Posted By: Spec Chaser

Re: surfside jetty question - 04/24/15 03:22 AM

When is it the best time to hit the jetty to catch some of the king and spanish mackerels run at Surfside. I know some days that specks are thick on free-lining live shrimp or live shrimp under a popping cork, but I just like those days where the mackerels are tearing up everything you throw at them. We only have seen a handful of those days over the years.

Re: surfside jetty question - 04/24/15 03:33 PM

Ok thanks I guess I will just get out there and try.
Posted By: Cigga

Re: surfside jetty question - 04/28/15 07:32 AM

In the summer days when the wind is blowing from the southeast pushing the clear water closer to the jetty. I rig up my rod with a 3-way swivel with one tied to a big weighted bobber and the other tied with a 3-4 ft 30 lb flurocarbon with 1 foot of 50 lb steel wire leader. Im lazy at catching bait so I just buy frozen sardines from the asian supermarkets and hook on a whole one and cast it out as far as i can from the jetty. If you are not lazy, Ive seen people throw cast nets from the jetty catching live shad and those seems to work better than the frozen sardines.

Re: surfside jetty question - 05/05/15 02:08 PM

Alright thanks
Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Re: surfside jetty question - 05/20/15 11:08 AM

Spanish macks and kings come in the early mornings in mid-late summer. I think.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum