Texas Fishing Forum

Inshore Bank Fishing Spot??

Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Inshore Bank Fishing Spot?? - 04/06/15 03:29 AM

I have done a little surf fishing and it seems to be pretty consistent for catching whiting and the occasional redfish, but what I want to know is if there are any good inshore bank fishing spots near Freeport to catch Redfish and Black Drum? I see people walking the marshes caching redfish almost every cast on YouTube, but I don't know where to go, what to use, or when's the right time to do it? I'm not asking you to give up your favorite fishing spot, I would just like to find a nice place to either sit down and bank fish or walk the marshes and catch some fish. Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Inshore Bank Fishing Spot?? - 04/06/15 10:25 PM

Not sure what you mean by "walking the marshes".
If you literally walk in there, you'll sink in the mud until it gets to your thighs.

Usually, the marshes are only accessible by a skiff or kayak.
I have a kayak, so I can get it without problem.
However, I have to pay good attention to the tides, as I can get stuck in there as well.

Get yourself a Hook-N-Line Map for the area you want to go.
Make sure you get the "WADE FISHING" Edition, not the Boat edition.
Those maps are more than helpful.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Inshore Bank Fishing Spot?? - 04/07/15 12:00 AM

Wading off into [censored] deep poot mud is something you just don't ever want to do.
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: Inshore Bank Fishing Spot?? - 04/07/15 04:21 PM

X2 on the Hook n Line map for WADING
Posted By: outdoorsman916

Re: Inshore Bank Fishing Spot?? - 04/08/15 01:30 AM

I usally wade Christmas bay and Galveston island state park. Both of those places would be ideal wading spots. Yes the marshes are mostly mud but I have found some hard sand in Christmas bay close to the marsh. Galveston island state Park is mostly mud until you get in to the bay. In Christmas bay I would fish the oyster beds. With live shrimp you can catch trout, reds, black drum and sheephead. I usally use Texas parks and wildlife for the reports.here is the link to it.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/fishreport.phtml
Posted By: 4x4Active

Re: Inshore Bank Fishing Spot?? - 04/09/15 01:47 AM

Get yourself a kayak and launch it wherever you can legally park. Lots of those places look like you can just walk or wade in but you will sink in pretty good if not slide to deeper water. You dont need to buy expensive kayak either. I have a $200 lifetime SOT kayak for a few years now.

Youtube video are edited. That 5 min you saw is actually a full day worth of fishing. Each day are a bit different. You have to keep trying and changing rig until you find out what color or what they are after that day.
Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Re: Inshore Bank Fishing Spot?? - 05/19/15 01:02 PM

Thanks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum