Texas Fishing Forum

South Padre/Port Isabel Sept/Oct

Posted By: COFISH

South Padre/Port Isabel Sept/Oct - 09/25/14 09:36 PM

Hello everyone. I was recently invited to spend a weekend at a friends condo down in South Padre and will be bringing my boat of course. I've never fished that area so I'm looking for a few tips. We are going down there this weekend. My boat can run shallow or otherwise. Mostly target red and trout. Anybody have any suggestions? I don't expect the honey hole you catch once in a lifetime fish, just wanna hook a few and not completely waste my time. Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: South Padre/Port Isabel Sept/Oct - 09/25/14 10:02 PM

What type of boat are you running? South bay has be working well for me this past two weeks.
Posted By: COFISH

Re: South Padre/Port Isabel Sept/Oct - 09/27/14 02:08 AM

A 20' flat, I can comfortably run in about 8" of water. Went out there this afternoon late, tide is extremely high. Any special area in South Bay you recommend?

Re: South Padre/Port Isabel Sept/Oct - 09/27/14 03:07 PM

I like the table top area and the guts that drain a and fill south bay.
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: South Padre/Port Isabel Sept/Oct - 09/27/14 04:43 PM

Try the gulf side of SPI. On the jetty the Spanish mackerel will be on the inlet side leading into the Laguna. On the surf side, deeper water,off the end of the jetty, the kings should be starting to move in.

Re: South Padre/Port Isabel Sept/Oct - 09/27/14 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Lovfldx
Try the gulf side of SPI. On the jetty the Spanish mackerel will be on the inlet side leading into the Laguna. On the surf side, deeper water,off the end of the jetty, the kings should be starting to move in.

Pretty sure he isn't gonna want to take that boat out in 5-6 foot seas this weekend.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum