Texas Fishing Forum

Planning PINS trip (very newbish question)

Posted By: rbr

Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/04/14 03:11 AM

First of all, I'm not a great fisherman, I just like to throw a line in and have a beer and see what happens. It's actually been a while since I've fished. My wife and I are talking about heading to PINS in a few weeks, I was thinking I would take a rod and see if I can maybe land us some dinner. fish

Anyway, I just wanted to see if what I've got will work in the surf. I'm currently using a Cabela's Fish Eagle II CX2, 7'6" one piece (line weight 10-30lbs and lure weigh 3/8-2), and a Quantum Accurist PTs reel.

Will this setup handle the surf? I'm sure the reel would be ok, it's made for saltwater, will my rod be ok? If it seems ok, how would you fish the surf (lures/bait, top water/weighted)?

Sorry for the super basic questions, but I appreciate any help (I can use all I can get)! hammer
Posted By: GBNathan

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/04/14 03:58 AM

With the setup you have your best bet would be to stop in at roys on your way into town and pick up either pompano rigs or breakaway dcd3's, a bag of pink fishbites in crab or shrimp flavor, some 2oz weights, and some dead shrimp. Put a fishbite on each hook w/ a bit of shrimp and toss it into the first gut. You'll get whiting for sure with some pompano and redfish mixed in most likely. Hope this helps.

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/04/14 04:22 PM

Thanks, and I was wondering about a good tackle shop when I hit town. Glad to know my gear could work. Hopefully I can catch something to plate!
Posted By: KQT

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/04/14 06:42 PM

Very good advice above, I would get some 1 oz. weights as well. With your set up if you can get by with 1 oz. you might be better off but 2 oz. is doable. Also get some pictures of what surf fish look like so you will know what you caught. Be very, very, careful if you catch a catfish, they will get you and they have a painful venom in there fins. They are not good to eat and if you use the set up GiantsBreath recommended they should not be an issue, I have caught very few on fishbites but lots on just shrimp. One last thing rinse your rod and reel with fresh water asap and DO NOT go past the 4 wheel drive only sign unless you are properly prepared!!!! Lots of guys that do it can tell you what to bring and current driving conditions, if you get stuck down there you can kiss a $$$$$ away getting towed out.

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/04/14 11:36 PM

Cool. I think I need to replace the line on my reel. It was on there when I bought it used 2 years ago, so who knows how old it is. It definitely has some coil to it. I've read monofilament is the way to go, is there a certain weight you would recommend for my rod/reel for surf conditions?

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/05/14 01:39 AM

Look at your real; it should say what line it will take. I would put the heaviest it says. If you are not sure how to do it Roy’s can put it on or not knowing where you are academy or Bass Pro among others will spool it for you.

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/05/14 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: KQT
DO NOT go past the 4 wheel drive only sign unless you are properly prepared!!!! Lots of guys that do it can tell you what to bring and current driving conditions, if you get stuck down there you can kiss a $$$$$ away getting towed out.

Yeah, I've never driven in the sand. I think it will be fun in my Jeep, but going too far solo concerns me. I think I'm going to stick around the first 5 miles or so. I'll see about driving conditions when I get there I guess.

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/06/14 06:17 PM

There is a lot to it, nails from debris, deflating your tires by 1/2 for traction, buried seaweed covered in sand that acts like quick sand and can put you down to your axcel in seconds..... Not trying to spoil your fun but you need to know, plus you can catch plenty of fish to eat without the risk. Have fun and post some pictures!

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/07/14 07:41 AM

Yeah, if I were going in a group I wouldn't worry about it too much, but going solo I'm hesitant. It actually looks like the trip is going to be pushed back towards the end of the month which will give me a little more time to get ready so that's good.

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/07/14 07:26 PM

Another quick question, saltwater fish seem potentially (much) more dangerous than freshwater fish. Is there a preferred method to removing the hook safely? Just good pliers, or do any of the extractors on the market actually do a good job?

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/24/14 02:30 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips! We had a great time this weekend. I didn't catch a lot, but caught my first fish ever, lol (I said at the beginning I wasn't a great fisherman)! It was a small pompano from the looks of him (was too excited to take a pic, damn it).
Posted By: nice shot

Re: Planning PINS trip (very newbish question) - 08/30/14 07:33 PM

you can go south on a low tide, but the sand is basically something from a horror movie once you pass the 4x4 only sign.

lots of great fishing before that.

I second the advice Giants gave.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum