Texas Fishing Forum

South Padre Surf

Posted By: Csilva

South Padre Surf - 07/17/14 05:42 AM

Going out there on saturday, any advice would help a lot. I bought some shrimp fishbites, rat l trap, super spook jr and a johnsonn 3/4 silver minnow. I went out last week and ended up catching 6 eating sized whitings a bonnethead and about 20 hardheads.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: South Padre Surf - 07/17/14 12:34 PM

I fished it last week using a white 3/8 oz bucktail jig and did good when the wind would let me fish. I also fished one morning with Captain Andrew. I wouldn't call him unless you want to CATCH fish and have a good time. He knows what he's doing, has good equipment, and will work his tail off for ya... About all I can suggest for ya.
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: South Padre Surf - 07/17/14 01:24 PM

Thanks Jig Man! BTW I Lived off that jerky for about a week! Good stuff!! Fishing slowed down a bit but they are still out there. Try a finger mullet on the bottom rigged in the tail so he swims up.

Re: South Padre Surf - 07/17/14 09:24 PM

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: moonriver

Re: South Padre Surf - 07/17/14 10:51 PM

Waiting for good news.

Re: South Padre Surf - 07/18/14 06:14 AM

Also Captain Andrew do you know where or how to get live mullet i've only tried live shrimp and cut squid. Mainly got hit with squid for whitings but never had luck with live shrimp.
Posted By: Capt. Andrew

Re: South Padre Surf - 07/18/14 12:28 PM

Mullet can be found at the bait shops in port isabel. The one by white sands should have some. You want to cast into the 2/3 gut. If not live fresh dead should work well too.

Re: South Padre Surf - 07/18/14 01:47 PM

Alrighty then, thanks, i'm probably gonna try to fish right in front of the beached escape pod they told me that was a good spot.
Posted By: horton5303

Re: South Padre Surf - 07/21/14 10:51 PM

Watch for the Nudes LOL.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum