Texas Fishing Forum

Galveston Finger Mullet Source?

Posted By: APynckel

Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/18/13 10:21 PM

Anyone have a reliable source for this bait? Every time I go down there, only shrimp can be found.

Thanks
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/18/13 11:12 PM

Get a cast net.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/18/13 11:23 PM

Yep!

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/19/13 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
Get a cast net.

DRATS! I no has a boat frown

(nor do I know how to throw a cast net)
Posted By: redshad

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/19/13 12:35 AM

don't need a boat APynckel, Youtube how to throw and start with a small net ( 3.5 or 4 feet ) You will have it mastered in no time, its really not that hard. Just be careful throwing it in real rocky areas unless you are prepared to swim down and unhook it. The small ones are fairly inexpensive ( around 20$ )Walmart,academy etc
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/19/13 12:58 AM

you can get plenty with a cast net off the jetty's. might have to move and watch for them, normally just under the surface.
watch some youtube video's, won't take you long at all to pick it up....there are several different methods for doing it as well.

I wouldn't start with anything smaller than a 5' though. some of the techniques you will see work alot better on the larger nets.
Like redshad said, watch yourself around the rocks, mullet are often just under the surface and you can see what your trying to catch so once it hits water, pull it back in before it gets too deep.
Posted By: pcde123

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/21/13 11:48 PM

go to academ i think a 3 ft radius net is 15 and a 6ft radius is 27, u find out whats confortable to you, i used to throw 4 fters but now i throw 6 fters, btw 6ft is the biggest radius size legal in texas waters, so dont buy online, practice on grass first to get a good feel to when to release and spin, practice is a must, it can take you a good 2-3 trips before you get the technique down, im 16 and i first learned to use one when i was 10

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/22/13 05:23 PM

K, Gonna go run to academy then smile. Thanks guys.

Also, do you bait the finger mullet to the surface before cast netting, or just throw and hope you get some?
Posted By: Minnowkiller

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/22/13 06:28 PM

you will actually see schools of mullet swimming like an inch under the surface and you just throw on top of them. mullet are everywhere thick. just o to the seawall around the finger jetties and watch about 10ft off the rocks youll see em swimmin everywhere.

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/22/13 06:39 PM

Well, I picked up a 6ft cast net from academy. Gonna toss it a few times to learn the ropes (after i watch some vids)
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/22/13 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: pcde123
go to academ i think a 3 ft radius net is 15 and a 6ft radius is 27, u find out whats confortable to you, i used to throw 4 fters but now i throw 6 fters, btw 6ft is the biggest radius size legal in texas waters, so dont buy online, practice on grass first to get a good feel to when to release and spin, practice is a must, it can take you a good 2-3 trips before you get the technique down, im 16 and i first learned to use one when i was 10

acutally the largest legal in Texas is 7' radius (14' diameter)

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/22/13 08:48 PM

i was told it was 6, maybe im wrong, sorry , mullet are everywhere , there in shallow water and deep water, u can toss a net from the surf and youlle usually catch a couple each throw, or u can scout the side of the ketty and wait for a school to come by, they eat the algae growing on the rocks and thelle cruise back and forth sometimes in schols of 100+, there in cannals and even in road side streams, i know a spot in matagorda that has road side creeks that hold thousands of mullet, just make sure you dont cast net where u plan to fish,cus it will spook the fish away
Posted By: Galveston340

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/23/13 04:04 PM

....if you are driving down take the Hitchcock/Bayou Vista exit off the Freeway. Hit the feeder road headed East and you'll see a ditch that runs under the freeway and empties into the marsh between the feeder and the railroad tracks to the south. You usually can fill up your buckets with mullet and piggies there with a cast net.

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/23/13 05:32 PM

Would you point out where you mean please?

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/25/13 01:02 PM

Are you referring to this location?

Or this one maybe?

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 10/25/13 09:25 PM

Well I stopped at the first location above, only got 3 mullet, a couple shad, and some shrimp.

Good thing is that both of the I45 bait shops had live mullet available.
Posted By: Texas Inshore Fishing

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 11/04/13 10:02 PM

Mullet are use to being caught from the water and air by birds and fisherman with cast nets. I like to back away from a hot bait spot and quickly power walk to a specific area and throw on top of the mullet. This way they wont swim away from the net while it's in the air. Be sure to let the area settle a little before throwing your cast net in the same area. Move down about 10 yards and throw again. The mullet you get from your cast net will always be better than the bait camps in my opinion. Good Luck!

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 11/05/13 06:09 PM

go one youtube, search "mulletrun" there a guy named captain jeff, he prettyu much rules over all the mullet castnetiing on youtube, look at his videos he has everything , hwe has a tactic called the ninja throw, pairly anyairtime and no hang in the net for the mullet to get spooked ,learn from him! hes a pro
Posted By: Galveston340

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 11/07/13 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: APynckel
Are you referring to this location?
Or this one maybe?

...that pic, as well as the first drain before you get to Bayou Vista. If you are really after them they are still in the marshes. Two casts this morning and had over three dozen in the well. Then hit my favorite pipe/drain and had two quarts of good Jetty style shrimp that I ended up throwing in the freezer as I didn't want to waste them. 6/10's!!
Posted By: RedNeckOkie

Re: Galveston Finger Mullet Source? - 12/24/13 09:06 PM

Andrew, did you find the location? If so, what location was it? I'm new to the cast net scene as well. Could use the help and tired of spending more on bait than gas!!

Thanks!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum