Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing in Galveston

Posted By: Eatavocados

Fishing in Galveston - 05/05/13 01:39 AM

Hello, my name is Charles I will be going down to Galveston on the 13th to the 16th of May. I was wondering what spots are good for surf fishing and are the public or paid jetty’s any good? I am a bass fisherman since I’m located in Fort Worth, but I know how to set up rigs for salt water. Just would like to show my new fiancé a good time by catching a few fish. Please be pretty specific when saying a spot to fish preferably map directions, because I do not know Galveston. Willing to travel up and down Galveston to Surfside for a good place. I could also pay someone a few bucks maybe 20-50 dollars if you would like to share a super spot. Again I’ll be there from the 13th to the 16th of May. Just bought a diamond ring so I’m to broke for a guide, please help and thanks again.
Posted By: Jean Scurtu

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/05/13 03:49 AM

ROLLOVER PASS

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/05/13 04:55 AM

Thank you, i remember fishing there when I was younger just did not remember the name. I caught a lot of black drum towards the opening of the channel. Will try it out again. Still open for other ideas if anyone has any thanks.
Posted By: Pferox

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/05/13 02:38 PM

Galveston Fishing Pier has been pretty productive for us recently, it is on about 90th street and the sea wall. They charge $12 a day, 5am to 5am to fish there.

The bathrooms are clean, and the people are nice, there is a restaurant on top of the entrance/gift shop that has pretty good and relatively reasonable food. On nice days it can get pretty crowded.

You can usually catch something picture worthy in the shallow end, and there are more than enough people willing to help you with a net.

You can get more information about the place here, they even have a web cam.

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/05/13 10:47 PM

Thanks for the info, so you would say its better to fish closer or further out on the peir? Thanks again
Posted By: Galveston340

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/07/13 05:49 AM

....Reds and some really nice Trout are showing up in the surf down here in the Galveston area here lately these past few weeks.
Head down to the West End and look for Shad getting blown up right against the sand at daylight on the first gut. Have some friends that call me every morning or shoot me some pics of what they have caught.

....."Biatches"!

I don't work the beachfront until the Tarpon show so they can have their fun! I fish the flats on the other side of the Island!
Posted By: Pferox

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/07/13 11:14 AM

Try to stay where the waves are breaking and there is foam, cast into the foam left by the waves, that seems to be producing recently.

Deeper water is producing larger fish, but not as many. There is also a chance now of hooking a sea turtle which is something left for experienced people. They were catching sheep heads about half way out close to the pier.

#1 or 1/0 circle hooks will get you more hook ups than larger hooks, but will still be heavy enough to bring in bulls. You can also handle some of the smaller sharks with mono leader if you are using circles.

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/07/13 11:44 PM

Thanks a lot for the info people. Ill pro stick to the surf so my woman can lay out. Thanks again
Posted By: Joseph Starr

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/08/13 05:10 AM

haha, I use that excuse all the time. "but baby, you can lay in the sun while I fish"
Posted By: CharlieA

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/11/13 07:09 PM

My GF loves hunting sea shells. Keeps her busy for hours. Just my 2c for keeping the girl happy!
Posted By: fshng84

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/19/13 10:38 PM

Made a road trip to the coast Saturday. Noticed a couple of fishing piers in Galveston that looked promising. Opted for the Galveston Fishing Pier (also known as the 91st Street Pier). Caught a number of fish including small Sharks and a Spanish Mackerel; appreciate the tips everyone! Especially the one on using #1 and/or 1/0 hooks. It did make a difference! Yesterday's Video.
Posted By: Joseph Starr

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/20/13 04:06 AM

great video! where did you end up on the pier? Mackerel, spade fish, good size gaftop, looks like a great day!

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/20/13 03:25 PM

Thanks Joseph, it was a great day! Went about half way down the pier before it makes the "bend".
Posted By: Jean Scurtu

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 05/21/13 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: fshng84
Made a road trip to the coast Saturday. Noticed a couple of fishing piers in Galveston that looked promising. Opted for the Galveston Fishing Pier (also known as the 91st Street Pier). Caught a number of fish including small Sharks and a Spanish Mackerel; appreciate the tips everyone! Especially the one on using #1 and/or 1/0 hooks. It did make a difference! Yesterday's Video.

I don't like to fish on the pier, i am fishing on the bank at ROLLOVER PASS catching a lot of nice specks,red fish ,flounder with GAMAKATSU crappie jigs(hook sz. 2-1/0) like this 29 inch specks(C&R)catch with FIRELINE ORIGINAL SMOKE 4 lb.on 22 APRIL 2013 :

windows print screen

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 08/11/14 10:31 PM

On the road this past weekend. Fished Galveston, Texas. Last year went to the Galveston Fishing Pier. This year went to the 61st Street Fishing Pier. Had a great time with nice weather and lots of action on Gafftop, Sand Trout, Whiting... and small Sharks. Met some great folks - other fishermen and the Pier Staff! Even saw part of a reality TV show being filmed! Video Clip.
Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 08/13/14 04:33 PM

Thanks for the video clip.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 08/13/14 09:19 PM

OK guys I am not very familiar with the coast fishing so I am asking this from a "ROOKIE" point of view. Does anybody use the Kick'n Bass Saltwater Fish Attractant on their jigs? I was looking at different saltwater fishing reports and saw some OLD reports of people being successful with it. I was thinking with the high price of live bait that it would really work to help with the jigs for Flounder, Reds, and Spec's.

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 07/27/15 09:17 PM

On the road this past weekend. Fished Galveston, Texas. Last year went to the Galveston Fishing Pier. This year went to the 61st Street Fishing Pier. Had a great time with nice weather and lots of action on Gafftop, Sand Trout, Whiting... and small Sharks. Met some great folks - other fishermen and the Pier Staff! Even saw part of a reality TV show being filmed! Video Clip.

Did it again this year... Fished Galveston and had a fun time catching saltwater fish for a change of pace. Fished Galveston Fishing Pier and 61st Street Fishing Pier. No Bruisers but did get a Blacktip Shark - 27-1/4" in length! Video.

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 08/13/15 02:34 AM

Simple Fish Tail Mount (with jaws added) is almost done. Just need to let the shellac dry! Pictures. Blacktip Shark looks cool!

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 06/14/17 03:48 AM

Did it again this year... Fished Galveston and had a fun time catching saltwater fish for a change of pace. Fished Galveston Fishing Pier and 61st Street Fishing Pier. No Bruisers but did get a Blacktip Shark - 27-1/4" in length! Video.

Missed fishing Galveston last year but did make it this year...
May be of interest to some; Galveston fishing posts...
Surfide Jetty Park.
Seawolf Park Pier.
61st Street Fishing Pier.

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 06/21/17 11:09 PM

Knew the 61st Street Fishing Pier had a Pier Cam that was working but looks like it went offline some time ago. Just noticed that the Galveston Fishing Pier has a live stream... Livestream.

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 06/21/17 11:18 PM

Knew the 61st Street Fishing Pier had a Pier Cam that was working but looks like it went offline some time ago. Just noticed that the Galveston Fishing Pier has a live stream... Livestream.

Spoke too soon... looks like the 61st Fishing Pier's Pier Cam is working, too!

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 06/24/17 04:30 PM

May be of interest to some. Latest iFishNews is posted - June 24, 2017! This one is back to the coast but focuses on fishing from shore!

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 06/25/19 11:17 PM

Fun time on the coast... Texas Coast. No fly fishing but may be of interest to some thinking about checking the area out! Have more video to post; will follow with another post once editing is done.
How We Fished Galveston Fishing Pier - Onsite Update June 22, 2019

Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 06/26/19 03:20 AM

I love fishing the pier. Always something happening. Usually catch a mess of fish also.
Thanks for the videos to bring back some fun memories.

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 06/29/19 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
I love fishing the pier. Always something happening. Usually catch a mess of fish also.

Thanks Ocelot! Really like fishing Galveston as well as Port A.

Still working on the video on the coast, working a lessons learned about the trip. Here is a quick update from the trip and comments on rod racks we made and plan to post on later as well!
Fishing Galveston - Quick Update #galveston #fishing

Posted By: rebait

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 06/30/19 01:35 PM

Sorry to changing topic. But while all of you that frequent the area have any favorite seafood places to eat that might be local favorites. Don't need the bid name or fanciest place just great food. Will be down in a couple of weeks and always like to try new places.

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 06/30/19 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by fshng84
Originally Posted by Ocelot

Thanks Ocelot! Really like fishing Galveston as well as Port A.

Still working on the video on the coast, working a lessons learned about the trip. Here is a quick update from the trip and comments on rod racks we made and plan to post on later as well!
Fishing Galveston - Quick Update #galveston #fishing

Almost done with the video... should post tomorrow 8PM Central. Here is the thumbnail for it and link to our YouTube Channel: COAF Field Team
[Linked Image]

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 07/02/19 02:04 AM

Here is the video posted on our channel... may be of interest to some. Also, added a playlist of videos posted from past trips as well as this one.... Galveston Fishing.
Posted By: Gulfie

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 07/03/19 01:17 AM

I like Fish Tales which is on Seawall Blvd directly across the street from the Pleasure Pier. There is also a Bubba Gump restaurant at the Pleasure Pier entrance that's good. You can park in the parking lot behind Fish Tales free if you eat at either of these restaurants and ask the cashier to give you a validated receipt to cover your parking.
Keep in mind that in the summer you'll probably have to wait for a table.

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 07/23/21 02:50 PM

Made it back to Galveston. This round we fished Galveston Fishing Pier aka 91st Fishing Pier. Learned a few things this round that we will keep in mind for our next trip the area!

Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 07/25/21 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jean Scurtu
ROLLOVER PASS

It is filled

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 09/02/22 12:31 AM

The Team's annual fishing trip the Texas Coast is in the books. We fished the Galveston Fishing Pier for four days and came away with several Personal Bests with a 41 inch Redfish, a 38 inch Redfish, a 33 inch Black Drum, and a 54 inch Black Tip Shark! Do check out the video as I summarize the Team's fishing fun and point out several lessons learned to keep at the ready next trip!

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 09/19/22 10:53 PM

Answering the mail concerning our trip to the Texas Coast last month where we caught a number of fish including some nice size Bull Reds, a Black Drum, and Sharks. Largest was a Black Tip Shark that went 54 inches in length!

Received several requests seeking suggestions and tips when fishing for sharks from a pier. As we are not experts - just "Average Joes" who have a passion for fishing, we thought it best to post things we did this trip as well as past trips to the Coast.

Keeping it simple, created a Fishing Infographic - "Pier Fishing for Sharks | Tips for Beginners", and posted it at the end of this post.

Do check it out. Also, do check back, will post a YouTube video on our Channel COAF Field Team providing more details about the infographic!

Stay tuned!

[Linked Image]

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 09/28/22 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by fshng84
Answering the mail concerning our trip to the Texas Coast last month where we caught a number of fish including some nice size Bull Reds, a Black Drum, and Sharks. Largest was a Black Tip Shark that went 54 inches in length!

Received several requests seeking suggestions and tips when fishing for sharks from a pier. As we are not experts - just "Average Joes" who have a passion for fishing, we thought it best to post things we did this trip as well as past trips to the Coast.

Keeping it simple, created a Fishing Infographic - "Pier Fishing for Sharks | Tips for Beginners", and posted it at the end of this post.

Do check it out. Also, do check back, will post a YouTube video on our Channel COAF Field Team providing more details about the infographic!

Stay tuned!

Here is the follow-on video...

Re: Fishing in Galveston - 07/24/23 01:06 AM

Almost a year later but tails took awhile to cure. Tailmounts are almost done. Just in time for us to hit the coast again!

Shark and Redfish Tailmounts are coming along! 😃 #fishing #shark #redfish

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum