Texas Fishing Forum

bleeding a shark for eating

Posted By: KOP

bleeding a shark for eating - 08/09/09 08:12 PM

does any one know what the proper way to bleed a shark for eating is?
Posted By: striker

Re: bleeding a shark for eating - 08/09/09 09:08 PM

cut off the tail and let it bleed out...
Posted By: 2112

Re: bleeding a shark for eating - 08/10/09 01:16 AM

As soon as it has bleed out remove the guts and pack cavity
and shark in ice. It's kinda like a deer. A shark needs proper care as soon as possible after its dead to get the best table fare out of it. Properly done, it is fantastic to eat.
I like to totaly remove the head and tail and put the prepared carcass on ice but I don't know if this is legal so I save the head and tail in case the man comes around.
Posted By: KOP

Re: bleeding a shark for eating - 08/10/09 12:45 PM

Thank you.

Posted By: NacogdochesBassm

Re: bleeding a shark for eating - 08/10/09 01:32 PM

this is a pretty easy way to do it. has pics too.

sharkcleaning
Posted By: Bluwave Mike

Re: bleeding a shark for eating - 08/10/09 09:45 PM

I wall ways cut the tail off and hang them off the tail gate of the truck. Then just put it in the 120qt cooler with ice.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: bleeding a shark for eating - 09/16/09 11:34 AM

My friend Cap't Dan guts them immediately. he says removing the liver keeps the gamey-ness (new word invented) away.

I did it, and the steaks were great, with no gamey-ness.
good luck,
tim
Posted By: Kyle46N

Re: bleeding a shark for eating - 09/16/09 04:34 PM

Heres the deal. Sharks of all kinds when stressed....i.e pulling out of the water, putting in a cooler, etc, will shoot urea into their blood stream. Anyone who has not gutted them or bled them will notice that it smells like someone pissed in your cooler or on your shark. Whats the best way to prevent this? Cut out the organs that are responsible for sending this stuff throughout the body. Heart, liver, etc. Just take all the guts out of the body cavity. Do it quickly. Cutting the tail off to bleed won't hurt either. After that, your good to go.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum