Texas Fishing Forum

brownsville trip

Posted By: slopez

brownsville trip - 07/02/18 05:24 AM

Gentlemen, I am going to head down to Brownsville this 4th of July to visit family for a 3-4 days and am going to be taking my kayak with me. I don't do a much saltwater fishing, so I was seeking a little advice. I'm going to be fishing mostly in the Brazos Santiago Pass (south bay). I'm sure I'll do some live shrimp under popping corks, but I've bought a few artificial baits as well. My query is in regards to colors. I bought a bone topwater (spook jr), gulp natural shrimp, and a pumpkin/white/chartreuse swimbait (by ttf). Are these colors decent or is there another color I should get? I haven't opened the packages yet, so I could easily exchange. Thank you in advance for any help. Tight lines.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: brownsville trip - 07/02/18 11:30 AM

Red/white tail when the suns out.
What you've got is good.

Re: brownsville trip - 07/03/18 04:55 AM

Pat, thank you. I read on the opening thread about how simple gear should be. I was contemplating whether anyone ever had any luck with bass gear. Rattletraps, square bill crankbaits, maybe even wacky or texas rigged worms (senko). I'm not going to take it out on the water, but I will have it in the truck. Being in a kayak, you have to gear down anyway, or the yak will just be cluttered. Of course, all the gear in the world won't help if I don't locate them first right?
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: brownsville trip - 07/03/18 11:23 AM

Your spook type topwaters.
Too shallow for your crank baits.
The floating grass will pretty well kill your desire for treble hook baits.
Posted By: 1Fisher77316

Re: brownsville trip - 07/03/18 09:30 PM

If you can access any of the lighted docks or piers there should be plenty of small trout 2 inch glow shad on 1/16 - 1/8 oz heads or small crappie jigs..anything that will imitate the glass minnows should catch you some fish. Daytime walk the jetties casting top water early then silver spoons as the sun rises higher. LOL And yes you can rig a red plastic worm on a jig head and you'd be surprised what all will hit it.
Tight lines & a great 4th of July to you.
1Fisher77316

Re: brownsville trip - 07/04/18 02:31 AM

Thank you very much gentlemen!!! I'm loaded up an will be on the road within the hour. I hope I have some good reports come Monday. Happy 4th of July to you as well. Happy Birthday America. Thank you to all those who have made this Great Nation what it is, and what we hope it will become.

Re: brownsville trip - 07/10/18 05:09 AM

Well here's the rub. 3 days of fishing, 5 undersized reds, 12 trout (5 keepers), and a buttload of catfish. I got a tip of schooling redfish in the back of one of the bays early in the morning. Despite leaving before daybreak, I still missed the big school. I could see them hitting the top from a 1/2 mile out, as well as at least 30 birds working. It was dead calm and the action was intense from what I could see. I needed to be at that location just as gray is in the sky in order to get into them. I got into a couple of small schools that had evidently broken off and was able to get a couple of them, but technical difficulties plagued me. I hooked into a big snook (I didn't know what it was until I described it to someone), but he cut my 50# leader, and away he swam. I learned a lot, and coupled with the information offered by you guys, I should have a better chance of success next time (with a little luck of course). Side note: I'm done with bottom fishing with shrimp. I couldn't keep the line in the water more than a minute (literal) before piggy perch and small catfish cleaned the hook.
Posted By: ZX4545

Re: brownsville trip - 07/12/18 07:32 PM

//////////
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum