Texas Fishing Forum

Capt. Nathan's Wade Fishing Lure Report, Seadrift, TX; 6/13/18

Posted By: Captain Nathan Beabout

Capt. Nathan's Wade Fishing Lure Report, Seadrift, TX; 6/13/18 - 06/14/18 01:56 AM

After 3 wades this morning through little bait, and no bites we decided to cruise up the shoreline until we find the mother load. We found exactly what we were looking for, but at first the fish didn’t want to play. We decided to dig in a grind on the area, with minimal boat traffic we had room to walk.

Finally, 1, then 3, then everybody was hooked up with solid 18-23” fish. Depth didn’t see to matter as long as you were in the stained water with rafts of mullet. Best baits of the day were the Chicken of the C early on. Then as the sun got up, Blue Moon, Spicey Pumpkinseed, and Pumpkinseed brought fish to the nets.

Posted By: COFF

Re: Capt. Nathan's Wade Fishing Lure Report, Seadrift, TX; 6/13/18 - 06/14/18 04:01 AM

Silly question for you: do you present those paddle tails with a steady retrieve, or do you twitch them like a fluke/jerkbait?
Posted By: Captain Nathan Beabout

Re: Capt. Nathan's Wade Fishing Lure Report, Seadrift, TX; 6/13/18 - 06/17/18 01:40 AM

I retrieve them like a jerk bait. This time of year i present them with big pops off the bottom. I try to explain it to customers like this....

No matter what depth of water I am in, which is never past waist deep!LOL I will pop my rod tip hard enough to bring the bait within 3-5" of the surface and let it free fall back to the bottom. I work the entire part of the water column. I continue this action all day, but at different times of the day you will notice you get hit in different depths of the water column. Typically in the morning I get bit in the upper part of the column because the fish are more active when it is cool. Then mid-day to the late afternoon, more of the bites will be right as you pull the bait off the bottom or as soon as it touches back down. Which to me makes since because the bottom part of the column is cooler than the top half. I have tried dredging my bait along the bottom towards the afternoon, but with no luck. The big pop has worked better for us.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Capt. Nathan's Wade Fishing Lure Report, Seadrift, TX; 6/13/18 - 06/17/18 03:08 AM

Solid post and fish. Good job. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum