Texas Fishing Forum

Trying the county beach between Surfside and Galveston

Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Trying the county beach between Surfside and Galveston - 02/13/18 02:31 PM

I have been out of the game for a few years and I am looking to get back in soon. I use to do a fair amount of surf fishing from this county beach and loved it. I would typically set a couple of surf rods and then fish the surf with a bait caster for trout.

I need to buy all new poles, reels and gear for the surf rods. Any suggestions before I start spending money? Not looking to break the bank and get the best gear.

What type of setups do you guys prefer? I want to get out there and target bulls, sharks, etc..

Thanks
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Trying the county beach between Surfside and Galveston - 02/13/18 03:37 PM

I fished there in the summer with very little luck (closer to surfside) Cannot help you now, sorry.

Re: Trying the county beach between Surfside and Galveston - 02/14/18 10:51 PM

Thanks, seems to be a ton of insight here.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Trying the county beach between Surfside and Galveston - 02/15/18 03:28 AM

I don't have advise but am heading that way in April. Going to fish SLP carefully and the main beach surf. I'm just going to head to a empty beach and set up poles. Going to be doing a bunch of crabbing as well...
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Trying the county beach between Surfside and Galveston - 02/15/18 01:54 PM

All my surf gear is almost as old as me. I like bait casting gear like an Ambassador 7000 and some ancient Penn reels and might have a lighter one like a ABU 5500 or 6500 for in close stuff. Do they make those anymore?

I do like circle hooks for the tendency to self set. I think 20 pound mono seems alright just to get a little more line on a reel. The light reels can have thin braid.

We like to catch our own bait, but it might be tough to find in a cold season, I usually start with some thawed out frozen bait and then catch some live mullet. Bigger ones get cut and finger size put on whole.

Between the catching bait, setting rods, checking rods, rigging and hopefully catching fish, it will keep you busy, I like to bring a smaller bait casting rig or fly rod to cast at trout. Sometimes that’s better and more productive that the bait. If it’s a little rough, the bait seems to be easier than taking the beating.

Some folks make a science out of surf fishing. I guess it depends on what you are after. I might fish out to the third bar or so. I’m usually tossing whatever into the bar edges and gut edges. Sharks, reds, whiting, gafftop, it kind of varies what you might get. It’s fun and a change of pace from someone that’s usually fishing in the bay or marsh.

Re: Trying the county beach between Surfside and Galveston - 02/15/18 02:36 PM

Thanks for chiming in. I guess the best way is to go out there and just keep trying. Even a bad fishing day is still good.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Trying the county beach between Surfside and Galveston - 02/15/18 03:09 PM

^^^^^^^ you bet! ^^^^^^
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum