Texas Fishing Forum

Offshore Fishing ????

Posted By: mapdit

Offshore Fishing ???? - 08/01/17 05:00 PM

Im not sure if I post this in the correct section. Anyway I've a 22 1/2 ft Baystealth center console and i was thinking taking it out to try to fish for Kingfish and or snapper. Is this boat safe to out , said about 10-20 mile out ? It have a 75 gal fuel tank. I've attached a fews photo of the boat. Thank you for any info .

Posted By: Ambassador84

Re: Offshore Fiahing ???? - 08/01/17 06:42 PM

Should have no problem if the weather is decent. Take a good marine radio with you and be sure you have all the proper safety equipment on board. I know flares and a couple of other things are required for offshore.
Posted By: russcue1

Re: Offshore Fiahing ???? - 08/01/17 10:30 PM

As long as is mechanically sound and you have all your safety gear it's fully capable. I was out 10 miles today and there was a group of kayakers! Have fun and stay safe.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Offshore Fiahing ???? - 08/02/17 05:42 AM

I remember the days when we were 30-40 miles offshore in my buddy's Bay Stealth just like yours. It is more than capable in the right conditions and with the right captain.

Ditto to the above comments on safety gear, radio and reliable equipment. I'd add.... (and I'm basing this off of assuming you are new to offshore?) Start out close until you get more comfortable. Don't get too brave too fast. There is lots of great fishing to get started out offshore within 5-9 miles. If you haven't been caught in an "out of nowhere" storm cell offshore...YOU WILL if you go out on a regular basis. Be sure you know how to handle a storm cell situation and don't panic if you end up in one. It's different getting into one offshore vs the bay.
Also (because this has happened to me once)...you said 10-20 miles. On a normal day you can see land at 10 miles, no problem. You get out 20 miles (21 mi to Liberty Ships which has many boats like yours there regularly) you can't see land. If you can't navigate back by compass if your GPS system goes... eeks it could be a bad day. Learn to navigate by compass before going offshore!! Don't rely 100% on electronics...they WILL go out at the worst possible time.

Once you get the feel for it though you will be fine in that boat if you pick your days. Heck our first Texas blue marlin we caught from that Bay Stealth about 18 miles offshore. It was only about a 90 lb juvenile but having caught it from a bay boat... it was like a grander to us that day. Have fun and be safe. Maybe we will see you out there some day if you run out of Port A.
thumb

Re: Offshore Fiahing ???? - 08/02/17 07:23 PM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: benp

Re: Offshore Fiahing ???? - 08/03/17 04:34 PM

great advice here. We just got back from Liberty Reef (21 miles) and It was epic but the compass needs to be there just in case! great time! I had a blast and learned alot! We were in a 24ft CC and Sunday the water was like a lake and almost glass We figured that we are good as long as seas are 3ft or less. We could probly do 4 but it would be a beating
Posted By: benp

Re: Offshore Fiahing ???? - 08/03/17 04:35 PM

at 4k rpms we got almost 2.4-3 mpg and used about 25 gallons going in a big triangle (74 miles total about) I would think with 75 gallons you could get out 21 miles and back with room to spare and be fine!

Re: Offshore Fiahing ???? - 08/03/17 07:49 PM

banana banana banana

Sound good, now here's the hardest part . Schedule and weather.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum