Texas Fishing Forum

How Much Per Pound?

Posted By: V-Bottom

How Much Per Pound? - 06/06/17 12:48 AM

So you took a charter to fish offshore 40 Miles and pick up your Limit of Red Snapper.....which was 2 fish per person per day.You paid for the charter, you spent money on other things to go..Right? The day is done and you took these fish Home to clean. You got your fillets etc., and you weigh all the edible meat. Now you figure just how much that meat cost per lb. What did the price per lb. for 2 fish only?
Posted By: chuck_w

Re: How Much Per Pound? - 06/06/17 06:03 PM

Don't do the math on that one. You will never come out ahead if you look at it on a pound vs dollars spent ratio. If you compare it to what you typically spend on a night on the town with entertainment then you have a better comparison. Commercial fishermen will usually catch fish more efficiently than a recreational angler so it will almost always be cheaper to just go the fish market to buy your fish (but where is the fun in that!).
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: How Much Per Pound? - 06/06/17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: chuck_w
Don't do the math on that one. You will never come out ahead if you look at it on a pound vs dollars spent ratio. If you compare it to what you typically spend on a night on the town with entertainment then you have a better comparison. Commercial fishermen will usually catch fish more efficiently than a recreational angler so it will almost always be cheaper to just go the fish market to buy your fish (but where is the fun in that!).

Sadly, it wasn't all that long ago where a 12hr partyboat trip was an economical way to get a decent amount of fish. For $65 or $75, I could go out and catch 4 red snapper from 5-10 pounds each, 1 amberjack of 20-30 lbs, and a string of beeliners. There's also the incidentals, fuel to get there & back, etc., which made the cost of fishing about $250 for the day. I could realistically expect about 15-25 lbs of fillets at home.

It still ended up costing more than buying fresh fish at the store, but $10/lb-$16/lb was not ridiculous. Now that same partyboat trip yields 5 pounds of fillets for about $300.
Posted By: KQT

Re: How Much Per Pound? - 06/11/17 02:48 AM

Expensive but dove costs more lol
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: How Much Per Pound? - 06/11/17 09:13 PM

If I factor in my cost per pound for duck (duck boat, dog, decoys, b guns etc) fish is way cheaper. That said, my last trip on the New Buccaneer was a 30 hour tuna trip with 3 yet averaging 50lbs each, 5 10lb blackfin about 10 Beeliner and a scamp the price was reasonable. Just can't justify chasing snapper any more...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum