Texas Fishing Forum

Going offshore in a bay boat

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/04/16 11:55 PM

My dad has a 22' blazer center console with a 225 merc on it. Is a boat like this sea worthy out to say, 10 miles, assuming the seas are light and the motor is reliable. What kind of fish can be found primarily in the 2-6 mile out range from port aransas?
Posted By: j_mit

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/06/16 08:36 PM

6-9 miles out packrey reefs

Snapper, trigger depends on the time of year.
Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/08/16 04:12 PM

I'd say you can go 50 miles out in that boat please look it up BIG FISH LITTLE BOAT! I did that already I went 100 mile round trip in a boat with 50 gallons of gas and 2 spare 6 gallon tanks it was awesome now I'm carrying 158 gallons to make a 200 mile trip

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/08/16 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair
I'd say you can go 50 miles out in that boat please look it up BIG FISH LITTLE BOAT! I did that already I went 100 mile round trip in a boat with 50 gallons of gas and 2 spare 6 gallon tanks it was awesome now I'm carrying 158 gallons to make a 200 mile trip
I have very little offshore experience and even I know 50 miles offshore is just dumb in a 22' boat. What if a storm comes up or you break down with a single motor? It could be days before someone finds you. Im looking to have fun, not turn in to a search and rescue mission.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/09/16 04:48 PM

We caught a juvenile blue marlin 25 miles out of Port A in my buddy's 22' Bay Stealth years ago. You gotta pick your days and keep up regular maintenance on your motor. During the summer there are tons of boats running in that range so even if the worst happens and your motor conks a working VHF radio will save your bacon. Storms popping up out of nowhere is your biggest concern in a flat deck bay boat. I ran my 21' Cape Horn out 50 miles many times but that boat was a beast even in rough water and could handle storms with the higher bow than bay boats.

With little experience offshore I would recommend you starting out closer and getting the feel for it. You have lots of great rigs just 4-6 miles offshore, the Packery Reef mentioned above and the tanker anchorage to work with. You can catch Kingfish, cobia, sharks, jacks, tarpon, small grouper, bonita, spanish macks, snapper, red & black drum and even the occasional sailfish in those waters.

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/09/16 08:25 PM

Awesome, thanks for the information, where can I get a map that shows where theses reefs and wrecks are?

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/10/16 06:06 AM

Yea this idea is going to keep you from ever making it to the blue water there ain't no storms and you can see people in boats driving by the game warden cruise boats manned and Un manned oil rigs with ladders going up if you can get from McKinney to South dallas you can make it a few miles offshore I don't see what people are afraid of I picked up 2 guys 5 mies out in a kayak and they were drunk and laughing about sharks took all their bait. The one guy even had a hammerhead shark tattoo. I'm telling you you be alright.

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/10/16 06:08 AM

I have little experience I ain't never broke down I ran out of gas and out of oil and out of battery but I made it back

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/10/16 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Awesome, thanks for the information, where can I get a map that shows where theses reefs and wrecks are?

Get on 2Cool and look up Ms. Mary in the blue water forum. Her late husband published a book with most all TX offshore structure. Short of that I can PM you some of the numbers.

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/10/16 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Lmgreeri

Get on 2Cool and look up Ms. Mary in the blue water forum. Her late husband published a book with most all TX offshore structure. Short of that I can PM you some of the numbers.
Awesome, I appreciate it, If we go, I think we'll stick to <10 miles out for now, better safe than sorry. Id love to catch some offshore fish on my own.

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/11/16 02:35 AM

They aren't much to eat but in April the jack creval move in around the end of the jetties. You can get some fantastic topwater action on them.

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 02/11/16 03:24 AM

They aren't much to eat but in April the jack creval move in around the end of the jetties. You can get some fantastic topwater action on them.
ive caught one before, an incredible fight for sure
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 04/10/16 09:40 AM

Here's something not mentioned besides making sure to have all the necessary safety equipment and a radio: (cell phones don't work typically past nine miles off shore)
Get a buddy or two and crew one or two other "mosquito fleet" boats to go out with you.
I've taken my 20ft bay boat up to 40 miles offshore. Keep in mind my motor is only 3 years old, I take all safety equipment, I file a "flight plan" with my wife at home and show her on a map specifically what spots I'll be hitting and when I'll return. I never turn my motor off out there and always wear my life vest and kill switch. It can be done safely, but you have to watch the weather constantly. I don't go until I have a weather window of 1-2ft seas that lasts two days or more.
A few things that can be caught 20-30 miles out- snapper, triggerfish, ling, kingfish, bonito, mahi, sharks
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 05/11/16 02:31 PM

It can get bad quick and if you loose power with 10 foot plus seas it is not a fun situation.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 05/11/16 03:11 PM

Awesome, I appreciate it, If we go, I think we'll stick to <10 miles out for now, better safe than sorry. Id love to catch some offshore fish on my own.

That would be a very good limit to have. I've taken my 18' bay boat out to about 30 miles on FLAT CALM days with 24-48 hours of similar condition expected, but if there's any breeze, or waves over 1' forecasted, then 10-12 miles is about it. You can find lots of good fishing within that range, especially if you find a weedline where the blue & green water meet.

With a 22' boat, it might be wise to install a small kicker motor - say 9.9hp - as a backup. It won't get you home fast, but it'll get you home if the big motor breaks down.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 05/15/16 05:04 AM

X2

I got the full set and would be willing as well if you want to drive to Texoma land. They are on my desk since I am heading down there June 2-5 with our boat. My mom is on page 20 of the 2013 version if you have Riks book. Top right cheers
Posted By: vip

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 06/11/16 10:51 PM

how close are the rigs at galveston and port aransas . i have 22 blue wave but i would only go on calm days
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 06/28/16 04:01 AM

If some guy is talking about going to the oil rigs in a kayake could I technically make it out in my 16' aluminum v-hull boat?
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 06/28/16 05:34 AM

You can go in small boats. Back in the 80s we would go 20 miles in a VIP tri hull with and 80 horse merc. One or twice in a tri hull with an 80 hp Crysler. We took all the safety gear they had back then. We had 20 footers pass by us with 55 gallon barrels of fuel on deck! Be careful, start out going ten,then twenty and thirty.
You will find you comfort level. Eventually you will have a storm overtake you or a breakdown.
Always carry a big drift sock and an anchor with 300-500 feet of rope. Those two things can save your boat and you if you have engine failur in big seas. You can ride some bad stuff out if you can keep your bow headed into the swell.
US Tow Boats will come get you out to 70 miles. I always call the local us tow boat dealer in the port I am fishing before I go out off a port. It nice to talk to them and no there name.
Find some buddy's with boats and team up.
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 07/09/16 02:20 AM

We headed out to Galveston wish us luck

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 07/09/16 05:58 AM

Thanks guys, I haven't kept up with this thread but we might try it out in august
Posted By: capt grumpy

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 07/09/16 10:44 PM

The end of aug or sept you should be able to catch all the kings you want from the end of jettys out a couple miles.Troll russel lures just dont get to close to jettys. I should be there around then 22' 6" Majek Extreme black/gray.

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 07/27/16 01:20 AM

Might do port oconnor how far out is the blue water usuall in August?
Posted By: MathGeek

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 09/19/16 01:23 PM

Need contingency plans.
Posted By: boocat

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 09/19/16 07:51 PM

be carful with those russell lures
Posted By: Rockdodger00

Re: Going offshore in a bay boat - 12/09/16 07:55 PM

Have not read through all posts here, but if still in planning stages, I got a trip tip for ya. Some years back I'd take my Gradywhite tarpon190, 150 Evrd. out about 3 miles to the whistler rig, approx. ssw of the jetties at Port A. Trolling to it and around it, then work the next couple of rigs by sight south down the coast, trolling around and between. If I spotted a couple of shrimp boats anchored, I would troll out, around & back, then from the whistler reverse compass course back through the jetties home. in 3-5 ft seas or less. Hope this helps for your next trip.
rd00
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum