Texas Fishing Forum

Offshore Packery Channel

Posted By: sarcrewman

Offshore Packery Channel - 08/07/15 11:33 PM

Hey guys i'm new to Packery. Been fishing offshore out of Port Aransas my whole life. 21 Trophy Bayliner. No stranger to offshore. Going to put in at Billings Bait, as soon as the seas are calm. Probably mid week if the reports hold up. Anyway, anything in paticular/dangerous on that channel ride out? We're going to hit kings, and then try to get out to some deeper water to hit the rigs or shrimpers. Any advice appreciated? Quickest heading to deep water? Don't need your honey hole, just looking for safety/expeditous info.
Posted By: tunatamer

Re: Offshore Packery Channel - 08/08/15 01:31 AM

The channel from Billings is pretty well marked but take your time and be careful and it should not be a problem.

Head out at about ESE to SE and at 35 miles in 200' of water you will find the Ant Hill rigs. Maybe some AJ or shrimp boats in the area holding tuna. Usually a lot of kings before you get there.

Good luck.

Re: Offshore Packery Channel - 08/08/15 02:45 AM

Thank Tunatamer! Thats what is was looking for.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Offshore Packery Channel - 08/09/15 12:04 AM

In certain wind/tide conditions coming out of Packery can have a pucker factor to it. I've seen more than one boat rolled there.

Re: Offshore Packery Channel - 08/09/15 01:39 AM

OK yeah I understand pucker factor. The end of Port A can get nasty, but we're only running out in seas 3 feet or less. Too small a boat and too wise to fight the big seas nowadays. But, thank you for the heads up...
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Offshore Packery Channel - 08/10/15 09:15 PM

Packery is always touchy @ the end of the jetties on the outgoing tide, worse than Port A., IMO

Re: Offshore Packery Channel - 08/10/15 10:50 PM

Ok cool, looks like were going to be running out of Port Aransas. Seas are supposed to be 2 feet or less for the next 5 days. We're headed out Wednesday evening, then every morning and evening until Sunday.
Posted By: tunatamer

Re: Offshore Packery Channel - 08/11/15 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: lite-liner
Packery is always touchy @ the end of the jetties on the outgoing tide, worse than Port A., IMO

Packery is not always touchy.

I live here..... and I don't work.

I go on calm days.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum