Texas Fishing Forum

Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats?

Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 09/23/18 10:10 PM

I've honestly never paid very close attention during the safety briefings onboard a partyboat beyond "follow crew instructions". Of course, I've also never seen something like this happen either:

Had alot of thoughts run through my head when I watched this and read the comments. Among other things, I found it amazing that the captain and crew didn't stop everything else so they could get this guy out of the water immediately i.e. "EVERYONE REEL YOUR LINES IN AND CLEAR THE RAILS". I was also astonished that the deckhands didn't work faster at pulling him out of the water - surely there's enough safety gear, ropes, etc to accomplish this, especially with an actively feeding shark swimming near the guy?

Sure is sobering to watch, and gives me more perspective on those Alaskan trips with my family where I'm running the boat. And I'll be paying much closer attention when I'm a passenger on a partyboat in the future.

Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 09/24/18 01:05 AM

Wow. That’s unfortunate he went in the drink. Glad he wasn’t bitten. Bet he’s more cautious next time he nears the rail roflmao
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 09/24/18 03:53 AM

Yeah that's pretty dubious.

Like, he's probably not in any real danger. But, if you're the captain are you gonna count on that "probably," just for a few AJs and snapper? Considering that if he gets hurt you're probably gonna lose your license and boat?
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 09/24/18 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Glitchmo
Yeah that's pretty dubious.

Like, he's probably not in any real danger. But, if you're the captain are you gonna count on that "probably," just for a few AJs and snapper? Considering that if he gets hurt you're probably gonna lose your license and boat?

Granted, the shark(s) were probably not interested in him. But that current looked like it was moving at a steady pace, judging by how fast the fish were drifting away. Suppose that guy had drifted too far out of reach? Then what? It takes time to haul the anchor up.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 09/24/18 01:42 PM

The life ring had a rope attached to it.
The guy was drunk.

It does seem like it took time to get the boarding ladder in the water. I never really thought about it much but falling out of a ship like that in the Gulf is not like falling out of a bass boat. I will investigate on my next trip and see where their ladder is.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 09/24/18 03:27 PM

I have done one and one only offshore trip in a big charter boat like that.. never again.
Posted By: Day0ne

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 09/24/18 11:36 PM

That isn't the New Buccaneer, it may be the Cavalier. First, you only see part of what's going on in the cell phone video. The only place to store a boarding ladder like that is on the upper deck, so, yes, it takes a while to get it down and in place. The person in the water was in a life ring and tethered to the boat, so he wasn't in immediate danger. I heard the deckhands say multiple times to get the lines out of the water and as usual, some people kept on fishing. That could have turned into a problem. As for losing license and boat, doubtful.
Posted By: captain steve barnes

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 10/05/18 02:20 PM

Well maybe that will inspire him to exercise a little and lose 50 lbs or so.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 10/05/18 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Day0ne
That isn't the New Buccaneer, it may be the Cavalier. First, you only see part of what's going on in the cell phone video. The only place to store a boarding ladder like that is on the upper deck, so, yes, it takes a while to get it down and in place. The person in the water was in a life ring and tethered to the boat, so he wasn't in immediate danger. I heard the deckhands say multiple times to get the lines out of the water and as usual, some people kept on fishing. That could have turned into a problem. As for losing license and boat, doubtful.

The boat may be the "Capt. John", I wonder if the boat carries that "shark dye or repellent stuff"?
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 10/05/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: captain steve barnes
Well maybe that will inspire him to exercise a little and lose 100 lbs or so.

FTFY
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 10/06/18 02:57 AM

hmmm
Posted By: Calmday

Re: Man overboard video - Galveston Party Boats? - 01/29/19 02:26 AM

Looked to me like the crew did a good job without getting excited. The guy wasn't in danger but fishing should have been shut down and a more clear and rehearsed MOB plan should have been in place.
Don't know if alcohol was involved but its always a good idea to limit intake when offshore. Things can go south very fast out there.
Boat was green so not CJ
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum