Texas Fishing Forum

What can we each do to improve High School fishing?

Posted By: RKT

What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/16/17 03:38 PM

After reading much controversial discussions on high school fishing it is apparent that many of us have different opinions. However, we all agree that there are problems. High school fishing is here to stay whether you want it to or not. The demand is there. So the question is - what can each of us do to positively affect high school bass tournaments.

What can tournament directors and staff do?

What can school sponsors do?

What can boat captains do?

What can local anglers (especially those that the kids know of with a strong influence on the kids)do?

What can local police/fire/ems do?

My thoughts:

This is a situation where all of these people need to be working together to teach safety and etiquette on the water. The people running the circuits can work with the local guides (especially those with internet presence with the kids) to have them go to the schools to talk about etiquette and consequences of cheating.

We can work with first responders in the same manner where they can go to the schools to give presentations on boater safety and boater laws. It would be nice to have police, fire, and emt represented in this.

These presentations at the schools could be recorded and placed on the tournament organizations web pages so that sponsors can present it to their students that did not get to participate in the original presentations.

Local anglers can both help by captaining kids to teach them or by recording and reporting violations they see during tournaments while on the water.

Let's keep this positive. What other ways can we positively in teach and influence these kids who want to fish tournaments. They are the future of the sport. These kids are young and easily influenced. We need to do our best to come up with ways to make that influence a good one.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/16/17 04:12 PM

First things first:

They need to be sure to teach on the water etiquette before they even get to the lake and it should be a standard monthly topic. They more than likely did not have the upbringing that a lot of us have and nor had the any experience with this.

Way too many times have I had high schooler's just come right up too me after I have caught a fish(s). With absolutely no courtesy whatsoever and just start casting. I am talking about close enough that I could pitch in their boat. Complete disrespect and disregard for other anglers.

Waco, last year, had a boat come into a small littler area that was room for only one boat and they proceeded, was totally shocked. Bad thing is the captain, of all people should have known better.

Stillhouse on 5/7, not once but twice, did I catch a fish and two boats on two separate occasions move in.

Now with that being said. There was one boat on stillhouse that came in and sat and waited, well beyond casting distance. The captain was on the TM maintaining a respected distance. I fished for about 15 min and left, as I left I turned around and they were moving in. If I would have thought about it at that time, I would have turned around and gave my kudo's to that captain for doing the respectful thing and teaching those young angler's the respect that should be given.

But I hear this time and time again about the High School fishing teams not giving respect on the water.

Yes none of us own the lake and it is open to anyone, but respect should be given to whomever was their first. Either by keeping your distance or asking if they can come in and fish.
Posted By: Robert Brown

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/18/17 01:19 AM

More adult bass clubs could sponsor junior bass clubs and mentor these pre-HS youngsters as a prep for reaching the HS level. By the time they get to HS these kids could have several years of on the water tournament experience under the guidance of experienced adult boat captains.
Posted By: TripletsFish

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/18/17 02:47 PM

Maybe, a required online rules test for kids and boat captains. Nothing too difficult - just true or false questions that gives the correct answers after they submit their answer. At the end, they have to click to agree to abiding by the tournament rules or risk suspension or ban. This way, THSBA would have a list of who completed the test and is eligible to compete/captain. This would cut down on "I didn't know that was a rule" and make people think twice about cheating.

Also, I would like to see a "premier" tournament series for Seniors and Juniors that would work in cooperation with college fishing programs. This would give the high school anglers, who are looking to fish at the next level, a chance to show their stuff. The college anglers could raise a little money for their programs and interact with the high schoolers.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/18/17 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: TripletsFish
Maybe, a required online rules test for kids and boat captains. Nothing too difficult - just true or false questions that gives the correct answers after they submit their answer. At the end, they have to click to agree to abiding by the tournament rules or risk suspension or ban. This way, THSBA would have a list of who completed the test and is eligible to compete/captain. This would cut down on "I didn't know that was a rule" and make people think twice about cheating.

When you sign your name on the entry form - you have already agreed to all that you posted. It's not the THSBA's responsibility to ensure that you actually read the rules.
I know that sounds harsh but it's true. The THSBA board has plenty to do without having to hold the hands of the competitors who should be capable of self-responsibility and read their own rules.

This doesn't mean that your idea isn't without merit. I don't know that I'm really qualified but I've been playing the tournament game for a long time and I'd be willing to speak on the do's and don'ts on ethics and the rules during tournaments. However, this spring the guys at THSBA tried to hold a seminar on this and it was very poorly attended. I settle for talking to the captains in our club and try to ensure that they are following the rules and ethics but once they are on the water - I don't have any control of how they act.
Which leads back to who is going to go and how are you going to get them there? If you make it a requirement then you'll have captains back out because it's too much trouble. It's hard enough to get captains as it is.
I like some of the stuff I've read in this thread and I think we'll try to implement some of it into our meetings. We have already had the local GW come and talk at one of the meetings.
Posted By: Hoghunter36

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/19/17 02:32 AM

How about in the rules also listing punishments for breaking the rules like criminal charges at most and having your names put out in public at least! Maybe understanding that there are serious consequences will deter people.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/19/17 02:46 AM

We will be discussing this after this weekend. I know we would not disclose the names of the students due to them be minors. We can list the punishments , that shouldn't be a issue at all.
Originally Posted By: Hoghunter36
How about in the rules also listing punishments for breaking the rules like criminal charges at most and having your names put out in public at least! Maybe understanding that there are serious consequences will deter people.
Posted By: Jamesche

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/19/17 03:21 AM

It will be interesting to see how the division split impacts this kind of thing. Much like population density negatively impacts behavior on crowded highways, boat density on our lakes impacts behavior on the water. I'm hoping that we'll see a better situation in the upcoming year.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/19/17 12:20 PM

[quote=Ken Starling]We will be discussing this after this weekend. I know we would not disclose the names of the students due to them be minors. We can list the punishments , that shouldn't be a issue at all.

^^but Why not list their names?? If they are cheating as minors it will carry on to when they are Adults. Seems like we are going under the assumption that these "kids" are just ignorant/innocent angels and have no idea that they are doing "wrong" when you know 100% that THEY-

a. asked for the info
b. went fishing with the guides
c. accepted fish from their boat captains
d. were perfectly OK with the "winnings" of any events and/or the accolades that they were to get from said event

At the very minimum should list the school but I tend to think that punishes the "good" people in that club where its probably just the 1 team being bad. I can't stand a cheater no matter what sport/event you are in.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/19/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
[quote=Ken Starling]We will be discussing this after this weekend. I know we would not disclose the names of the students due to them be minors. We can list the punishments , that shouldn't be a issue at all.

^^but Why not list their names?? If they are cheating as minors it will carry on to when they are Adults. Seems like we are going under the assumption that these "kids" are just ignorant/innocent angels and have no idea that they are doing "wrong" when you know 100% that THEY-

a. asked for the info
b. went fishing with the guides
c. accepted fish from their boat captains
d. were perfectly OK with the "winnings" of any events and/or the accolades that they were to get from said event

At the very minimum should list the school but I tend to think that punishes the "good" people in that club where its probably just the 1 team being bad. I can't stand a cheater no matter what sport/event you are in.

^^^
List the school team that had violators.
This alone would create the peer pressure from EVERY TEAM to do the RIGHT thing & self police their own team members.
UIL doesnt list individual violators in ANY other sport, but, DOES list a school that has UIL rule infractions or violations. This ALONE would (IMO) would stop 90% of the mess. They aren't just fishing as a 2 man team with a captain. They ARE representing their SCHOOL & every member of that school.
Alsi list the NAME of the legal Adult captain that is involved. If the legal adult captain would cheat in a student activity you can bet they'd cheat in a tournament outside a school function (again IMO).

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/20/17 01:36 AM

While I totally understand the argument...

They are MINORS. Which I am sure brings it's own set of problems. Naming them is sure to get someone sued- by the same parents who raised a kid that thinks it is ok to cheat..
This isn't a UIL regulated sport and I hope it never is.
I don't have a real problem naming the captain but everyone needs to understand that most of the captain's aren't "tourney " regulars. Which, is why a lot of these problems are occurring. Where do you suggest naming these guys anyway? Newspaper, TFF, Facebook?
I saw some of this coming last year but hopes I was wrong. I think the THSBA was the same way... They have taken steps to punish the offenders they KNOW about and they are taking steps to address it. Give them a chance to earn their pay...
Posted By: C130

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/20/17 01:58 AM

I think just notifying the team advisor maybe for the first offense and leaving the schools name out of it initially. I don't see a need to drag a schools name in to it for one person or one teams bad judgement. If it's widespread or reoccurring issues with the same school then name it. I definitely think the persons involved should be punished, including banned from fishing THSBA tournaments, if caught cheating.

Getting "too close" is kinda subjective but the teams involved should be educated on rules and proper tournament etiquette. If they take the advice as they should then I think everyone benefits and move on unless they continue to do it.

I've found it's not easy trying to run a club and dealing with some of the parents. Since it's an after school club not sanctioned by the school some think they don't have to abide by any rules. I had two discussions with parents this year and made it clear they either follow the rules or they don't fish in our club. I've learned a lot after one season and I have no tolerance for cheaters or those that don't want to follow the rules. I know I'm going to really emphasize enforcing the rules, cheating, proper etiquette, even more this next school year. The fact it's being discussed is good, that's where to start improvement.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/20/17 10:26 PM

Even if its NOT a UIL event, they ARE representing a school & the schools reputation & EVERY student that attends that school when they enter those events! Yes they are DEFINITELY representing a school.
If there are no consequences for CHEATING just because its not a UIL Santioned event, then what ARE they REALLY learning?Its OK to have the Robbie Rose syndrome?
I hope its caught & contained quickly for the sake of the 99.9% of those that do FOLLOW the rules. Kudos to yall for doing this for the young ones.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/20/17 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtbass
Even if its NOT a UIL event, they ARE representing a school & the schools reputation & EVERY student that attends that school when they enter those events! Yes they are DEFINITELY representing a school.
If there are no consequences for CHEATING just because its not a UIL Santioned event, then what ARE they REALLY learning?Its OK to have the Robbie Rose syndrome?
I hope its caught & contained quickly for the sake of the 99.9% of those that do FOLLOW the rules. Kudos to yall for doing this for the young ones.

There is a consequence for cheating. Your gone. Forever. Never to return.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/21/17 03:35 AM

I know everyone already knows this but this isn't just a high school issue. Grown adults who tournament fish are just as bad or worse. I had two boats fishing a tournament today on Conroe pull right up in front of me and my son. We had fished the spot for three hours since daylight when they came up. Both pulled right in front of where we were casting. First boat literally circled about 270 degrees around us.

I'm 100% for improving high school tournament fishing and making It safer but it's not just a high school issue. I never witnessed what I saw today at any high school tournament. Some oeople just don't care and have no respect at all.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/22/17 02:30 PM

I agree with a lot of the suggestions, and TXduckhunter hit the nail on the head about most of the captains not being tourney regulars and understanding on the water etiquette.

I think it's a fine line of getting people to understand etiquette on the water without having some captains just back out from being told what to do and what not to do. Maybe the best option is to push it at the team level and have them suggest their captains not move in on someone?

As far as captains go, take every opportunity to show respect on the water, and explain in detail why you did what you did. I had several opportunities this last weekend to show my guys this. I'd tell them, "We're not going in there, see the direction the boat is pointed? They're moving towards where we want to go, we are not going to cut them off". I also took the opportunity to tell my guys that "see that boat coming in on us? It's a shame they didn't show us the respect we just showed those other boats, but that's ok, we won't drop to their level.".

I don't know about the other captains and their teams, but my guys notice this stuff. They know right from wrong and I'm fortunate to get to captain them. They ask a lot of questions about this and I'm glad I'm able to show and tell them the right way.

There will always be some folks that just don't have it in them to show any consideration. If the kids are exposed to proper etiquette enough in team meetings though, I'm betting some of them will step up and ask their captain to not move in on someone.

By the way, that weigh in Saturday and Sunday went very smooth. Kudos to everyone involved, I was impressed.

I don't know if making it a rule is the right thing, but we somehow need to get the word out to the captains that headlights should be off launching boats in the morning. Yesterday I was blinded on my right side by another truck launching their boat, and couldn't look at the drivers side mirror due to the next truck in line up the ramp with their lights on. That too was another opportunity I had to tell my guys that's a bad deal, and they completely understood.
Posted By: Catching Air

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/22/17 03:14 PM

If these team are caught cheating there should be no tolerance. I do understand that the anglers are minors but when adults are caught they face felony charges. When minors commit murder they are usually tried as adults and there names are plastered all over the news. This shouldn't be any different. If the tournament director does not feel it requires going that far that team should be dqed for rest of the year. If same school has another violation the school is dqed for rest of the year and can only return next year with a new team director. Also like is was stated above this is not a UIL controlled sport so I would like to see it open to any angler that wants to fish. I don't think you should have to join something at your school to be able to fish. I say this cause in our district there are students that would love to fish but the person over the club is such a jack@@@ to deal with the parents don't want to deal with it. Make it like Bass Champs and TTT pay membership and open to any student with a friend and go fish. My $.02.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/22/17 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Catching Air
. I say this cause in our district there are students that would love to fish but the person over the club is such a jack@@@ to deal with the parents don't want to deal with it. Make it like Bass Champs and TTT pay membership and open to any student with a friend and go fish. My $.02.

I can see some advantages of this but not sure that's the way to go. I can tell you it's not that easy running a high school club and dealing with a few of the parents and kids who think they don't have to follow any rules. It's a very small minority but they can ruin a club real easy, i know from the little experience I have had our first year as a new club. Kids are generally fine, some parents not so much.
Posted By: Catfishd

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/24/17 04:17 AM

I do not agree on a warning or free pass for cheating on any level. The boat captains responsibility goes beyond just driving a boat. Rules are clearly stated and are in place for a reason. There is no room for cheaters of any kind in this sport. And the captain should be reminding the kids of these rules as well as the team advisor for every tournament. If one person on a team on any other sport is caught cheating the team is as well as the player are punished and should be in this instance as well. UIL or not. It's not like there is not an adult in the boat. Yes individual boats are competing but it is also a team event as well THSBA takes the top three team scores from each school to determine which team wins the tournament as a whole as well as the 1st place vote. It's a competition. And like all competitions there are rules you must follow. The only way to make the rules viable is to make the punishment harsh otherwise they will continue to break the rules

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/24/17 04:18 AM

I agree 100%

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/24/17 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: C130
Originally Posted By: Catching Air
. I say this cause in our district there are students that would love to fish but the person over the club is such a jack@@@ to deal with the parents don't want to deal with it. Make it like Bass Champs and TTT pay membership and open to any student with a friend and go fish. My $.02.

I can see some advantages of this but not sure that's the way to go. I can tell you it's not that easy running a high school club and dealing with a few of the parents and kids who think they don't have to follow any rules. It's a very small minority but they can ruin a club real easy, i know from the little experience I have had our first year as a new club. Kids are generally fine, some parents not so much.

I agree 100%
Posted By: sight fisher

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/25/17 01:51 AM

My dad and myself listened to a high school kid while having lunch in Zavalla talk about how one of their friends weighed in a fish that her grandfather caught and another kid that weighed in a fish that his mom caught with him. That made me sick and mad. My solution is polygraphs and filing charges. It is a felony to do that. Time to send a message and clean up the reputation. It is not fair to those that play by the rules.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/25/17 04:24 PM

I'm sure there are parents, grandparents that will do anything for there kids/grandkids but it's still cheating. Need to punish if the rules are broken. On CC I had a boat captain drive his boat on top of me and the kids took over the TM right on top of me. A lot of these kids are being taught wrong and it will carry on to the future. If THSBA is going to continue then this needs to be stopped NOW before it goes any further.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/25/17 06:44 PM

Just fyi. If we catch them or can prove with information given then they are done. We do not condone it and will not tolerate it. It will all be listed in the new rules
Posted By: CubbyObrien

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 05/30/17 12:37 PM

For those posting on rule violations, please be patient, things are in the works to address this in a very proactive and streamline approach!
Posted By: joebass2

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/16/17 10:12 PM

Is the objective of high school fishing to see how large the circuit can become, or is it to try to truly help the kids increase their competitiveness and confidence in something they are really interested in.

Honest question, and here's why I asked.

I was at the tournament on Lake Lewisville before launch earlier this year and observed, that while a lot of the kid seemed interested and even anxious to get it going, some of the kids seemed like they couldn't care less. Some were even sleeping on the deck, and others looked bored out of their minds.

Now, I have heard that participants get Friday off from school on tournament weekend. My guess is that some of the less interested participants are there for that reason.... just to get a day off school.

If they do get the day off from school, why not stop that for a year and see what happens. I don't think the kids that are truly interested need to be enticed to fish with a day off from school.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/16/17 10:38 PM

What responsibility does the high schools have in governing the fishing team rules. ??
Baseball, basketball, volleyball, swimming, debate, etc,...are all governed and overseen by the high school.
From what I read hs fishing is very loosely controlled. Are there referees, umpires, judges, or whatever provided by the school. Are there try outs to make the team, and standards to stay on a team,..does the fishing teams have a coach, staff, ..........doesn't sound like it if players are laying around and sleeping on boats waiting to take off,..is there a organization that all schools have to join, and rules that are enforced.
Again I'm an outsider looking in at what I read, but sounds like there's a lot of disorganization, and little oversight.. jim

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/16/17 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
What responsibility does the high schools have in governing the fishing team rules. ??
Baseball, basketball, volleyball, swimming, debate, etc,...are all governed and overseen by the high school.
From what I read hs fishing is very loosely controlled. Are there referees, umpires, judges, or whatever provided by the school. Are there try outs to make the team, and standards to stay on a team,..does the fishing teams have a coach, staff, ..........doesn't sound like it if players are laying around and sleeping on boats waiting to take off,..is there a organization that all schools have to join, and rules that are enforced.
Again I'm an outsider looking in at what I read, but sounds like there's a lot of disorganization, and little oversight.. jim

The school has zero control over HS fishing.
They don't fund it, don't regulate it and ,normally, don't support it.

As far as sleeping on the deck before take-off or seeming disinterested. I've been know to take a nap or lay back in the mornings before take-off. I wouldn't put too much into that...

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/17/17 12:31 AM

Jim, the schools generally have a School advisor as well as a Team advisor(coach ,so to speak). As far as how much they actually help the teams, it varies from school to school and team to team. I am not sure of tryouts for teams, I know some teams have a traveling squad and some just fish against other team members. All THSBA students must be passing to be able to fish, this is signed off on by the school advisor. I have seen this actually help kids that didn't care to pass to actually have passing grades. All students do have to be a member of whichever association they participate in. We also all have rules like any other tournament trail, unfortunately there are people that still do not follow them.There are circumstances all year long. As far as them sleeping on the decks, a lot of these kids play other sports and there are times where they come from a Friday night game to the lake with a few hours of sleep. They are all for the most part pretty excited at the end of the day when the weigh in is going on. Lots of joking with each other and supporting the other schools. Hopefully this answered some of your questions. Please don't pay attention to my grammar,lol. I hated English class.
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

The school has zero control over HS fishing.
They don't fund it, don't regulate it and ,normally, don't support it.

As far as sleeping on the deck before take-off or seeming disinterested. I've been know to take a nap or lay back in the mornings before take-off. I wouldn't put too much into that...
Posted By: FishFAN

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/21/17 02:24 AM

Ken, catch up with me, please.

jimmymauldin@gmail.com

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/21/17 02:32 PM

I'll just speak for our club, we do have rules to be able to fish in our club. Problem is, if it's not in writing some parents will argue with you and say you can't enforce it because they "didn't know" since it wasn't in writing. I want also told since we weren't governed by the school I couldn't enforce the rules. I've only had a couple of parents play this game, one in particular. It's hard to imagine every single thing you need to put in the rules and by laws but there's always that one parent or kid that pushes the envelope and tries to justify their actions. I had a heated argument with one of the parents and made it clear that they either follow the rules or they don't fish and will not be a part of the fishing club. Same kid and parents do absolutely nothing but show up at some of the tournaments and do not help out in any other way.

Most of the kids are great and I've seen the requirement to be academically elegible really help some of the kids get motivated. We had a couple kids that couldn't fish due to their grades at the beginning of the school year. They got motivated and had passing grades the rest of the year and I really believe fishing was the motivation.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/21/17 04:16 PM

I'll just speak for our club, we do have rules to be able to fish in our club. Problem is, if it's not in writing some parents will argue with you and say you can't enforce it because they "didn't know" since it wasn't in writing. I want also told since we weren't governed by the school I couldn't enforce the rules. I've only had a couple of parents play this game, one in particular. It's hard to imagine every single thing you need to put in the rules and by laws but there's always that one parent or kid that pushes the envelope and tries to justify their actions. I had a heated argument with one of the parents and made it clear that they either follow the rules or they don't fish and will not be a part of the fishing club. Same kid and parents do absolutely nothing but show up at some of the tournaments and do not help out in any other way.

Most of the kids are great and I've seen the requirement to be academically elegible really help some of the kids get motivated. We had a couple kids that couldn't fish due to their grades at the beginning of the school year. They got motivated and had passing grades the rest of the year and I really believe fishing was the motivation.

C130, contact one of the established clubs near you and see if you can get a copy of their bylaws. Take any/all of what you need and apply to your club.

I'll also add to what C130 posted about grades and such.
One of my anglers struggled with grades and other issues coming into HS. He pulled up to an A/B his freshman year and pulled all A's this year. He also (according to his parents) has fixed his other issues at home. (better attitude, etc) This has so much more to do with life lessons than simply catching a fish.......

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/28/17 04:02 PM

Can you spell "no response"?
Posted By: Chris G

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/28/17 06:14 PM

I didn't go through and read all of the other response but here are my suggestions. My cousin has run his sons' highschool team since they started it. One of them is now headed to SFA to be on the fishing team. He's seen it all as the organization has grown. I also helped my BIL start a new team for Celina High School 2 years ago. He fished several events with his son and developed a very bad opinion of a few things mentioned in all of the posts that have gone around on the other posts.

My thoughts are fairly simple...just 2 items

*Prior to the first event of the season there should be a mandatory Boat Captain meeting for each region

At this meeting you cover the following: ALL rules, Safety guidelines, On the Water Etiquette and potential punishment for various violations

If a boat Captain wasn't at this meeting because their team started at a tournament later in the year, then a one on one meeting must take place

*At each event, the winners and one random team in the top 20 are subject to a polygraph with the Captain and 1 team member polygraphed

This is done by every major tourney organization out there so why not do it here? Yes, it seems odd to have a 15 year old take a poly but its something they would have to do if they fished Bass Champs or something else.

To me if these 2 are done, it would help tremendously but the reality is you will never solve the entire issue. It's like anything else in life, there is and will always be a certain percentage of a population that simply doesn't care about rules or doing the right thing.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/28/17 09:14 PM

What response you want, you emailed me about a non profit that you started and said you may can help?
Originally Posted By: vtile
Can you spell "no response"?

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/29/17 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

C130, contact one of the established clubs near you and see if you can get a copy of their bylaws. Take any/all of what you need and apply to your club.

I'll also add to what C130 posted about grades and such.
One of my anglers struggled with grades and other issues coming into HS. He pulled up to an A/B his freshman year and pulled all A's this year. He also (according to his parents) has fixed his other issues at home. (better attitude, etc) This has so much more to do with life lessons than simply catching a fish.......

That's what we did, got by laws from another club and changed or added a few things. I just have a couple parents that question every single thing we try to do. They want to run the club but when it actually comes down to doing something to help when asked they do nothing. But, that's part of overseeing any club like this. We have some great new members that are really involved so really looking forward to this next year as we grow.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/29/17 08:31 PM

Ken,

I asked if you would like to speak about me possibly helping the association with a solution for boat captains...and gave you my phone number. I expected more than an 'ignore. Let's let it go.

Re: What can we each do to improve High School fishing? - 06/29/17 08:49 PM

Just remember, these people work full time jobs also. Between their jobs, family, and the THSBA I imagine they are swamped. I don't know anything about it but just a thought.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum