Texas Fishing Forum

grapevine highschool needs a captian

Posted By: PIGHUNTER

grapevine highschool needs a captian - 11/11/17 12:19 AM

my capiian has not been able to fish this year. i need a captian for the deration of the season. if you can help or srtear me in the right direction please email me.
sharkey286717@gmail.com
Posted By: White Oak Skeeter

Re: grapevine highschool needs a captian - 12/27/17 01:14 PM

Just wondering, do they still offer English in high school these days?
Posted By: C130

Re: grapevine highschool needs a captian - 12/27/17 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: BWBForney
Just wondering, do they still offer English in high school these days?

I grew up in a very rural area of Tennessee, one high school for the entire county. I graduated in 1986 and I’m shocked by today’s education or lack thereof. Kids cannot write a sentence, let alone multiple paragraphs. When young men and women in high school can’t even spell high school there might be an issue.

Unfortunately, about 90% of their communication is done via text or Snapchat and they don’t even attempt to differentiate when writing anything down on paper or the internet. I have two teenagers and I’m constantly having this conversation.

Re: grapevine highschool needs a captian - 12/27/17 09:57 PM

C130, I graduated from Jenks(OK) High School in 1981, then the University of Tulsa in 1985, with a minor in English. My wife says I'm too picky and all of my kids say, "who cares!" I try to help them understand, those of us who hire people for jobs, with the potential for future advancement into management positions, do actually care if they use proper grammar and are generally able to spell. I'm amazed at the resumes I receive with 5-50 spelling and grammar errors. I understand this is a hijacking of the thread but sometimes points should be made. Even if no one cares!! I'm glad, one other person does care!!
Posted By: Tim Haugh

Re: grapevine highschool needs a captian - 12/28/17 12:48 AM

Hats off to the student for starting now to look for a captain instead of the week of the event like most do on this forum. Let’s remember that this student is looking for help to get in the water to fish a tournament, not a ride to go take the SAT test. Publicly shaming them needs to be left off this thread. Nobody knows what his school situation is like and wanting to fish these events may be the driving force to get this student to make passing grades.
Posted By: teamplayer

Re: grapevine highschool needs a captian - 12/28/17 12:50 AM

I must comment on this thread. I have retired after teaching high school math after 17 years. In those years, education has gone from "teach kids" to "pass kids". It seems administration is so afraid of a child failing that teachers are being pressured to pass kids.
I have heard of one district that will not allow teachers to give a 0 for a grade even if the student refuses to do the assignment. Since there must be a grade entered, teachers were instructed to enter 65 and nothing lower.
Our teachers were told one week to just enter a 100 as a test grade because we were on a short week and unable to work in a test.
Education should be left to teachers. I agree to "helping" a student with grades if that student is doing all he can do. But if a student will not attempt to learn, then the grade earned should be the grade given.
I feel this is the reason for so many students graduating high school without the skills needed because of teachers being pressured to "give" grades and students not "earning" grades.

Re: grapevine highschool needs a captian - 12/28/17 01:02 AM

I'm sorry I don't quite see your logic Tim. If a kid is destined to be the next Kevin Van Dam, won't he still need to be able to speak our mother tongue and be able to communicate in writing well enough to not be "publicly shamed"? I'm fairly sure none of us is "publicly shaming" little Tommy Pighunter. I assume that's not his real name. Might be, heck I don't know. But, I would tend to think Pig should be a hair more concerned with his education than looking for help to get on the water. Far better to be fishing than reading War and Peace or learning to conjugate the word conjugate. I'm sure he can just voice google conjugate to find out its meaning. Another one being given a grade. Sorry, it was just amazing that in two sentences Pig was able to misspell captain twice, duration, and steer. See, I am just too sennsitivve.
Posted By: Clint W.

Re: grapevine highschool needs a captian - 12/28/17 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim Haugh
Hats off to the student for starting now to look for a captain instead of the week of the event like most do on this forum. Let’s remember that this student is looking for help to get in the water to fish a tournament, not a ride to go take the SAT test. Publicly shaming them needs to be left off this thread. Nobody knows what his school situation is like and wanting to fish these events may be the driving force to get this student to make passing grades.
thumb
Posted By: C130

Re: grapevine highschool needs a captian - 12/28/17 03:50 AM

I don’t think anyone is trying to shame him, I’m certainly not, and I doubt anyone else is either. I’d say we are trying to help him. I’d bet he knows better but just doesn’t care and writes like he texts. I’m definitely not the expert on grammar and proper english but no one in high school should be writing or spelling this way. I tell my son all the time that he had better care about grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. because many of his friends do and that he can either work for them or they’ll be working for him.

I have personally had kids in our club post almost identical threads looking for boat captains. I sent them messages stating that they needed to go back and proof read what they had posted. Most all of them know better, they just don’t care and it’s their norm and how they text. There’s no excuse for not using a period at the end of a sentence or capitalizing the first word of a sentence, that’s first grade. If one is so sensitive and they feel publicly shamed then maybe they shouldn’t post publicly.

As far as looking for a boat captain well in advance, great job. Best of luck and I hope you find a boat captain soon.
Posted By: Mark Gilbert

Re: grapevine highschool needs a captian - 02/28/18 03:33 AM

At least he didn't use the word LIKE every third word!! I worked in Tx High Schools for 38 years and have been teaching college for last 7 years. Let me assure you that today's students verbal skills are worse than their grammar skills. We work on mock interviews and they can't string together a 10 word sentence and not use LIKE less than 4 times!!
Thank you Text messaging! Not face to face interaction skills. Some are so bad they even overuse the word Like in a Text!! "Well I'm like done so will like get off my like soapbox cause I'm like going to read like the rest of the like forum and maybe be like be a gooder like fishing dude!" Like later Bro's and keep tight line!
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: grapevine highschool needs a captian - 02/28/18 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: BWBForney
I'm sorry I don't quite see your logic Tim. If a kid is destined to be the next Kevin Van Dam, won't he still need to be able to speak our mother tongue and be able to communicate in writing well enough to not be "publicly shamed"? I'm fairly sure none of us is "publicly shaming" little Tommy Pighunter. I assume that's not his real name. Might be, heck I don't know. But, I would tend to think Pig should be a hair more concerned with his education than looking for help to get on the water. Far better to be fishing than reading War and Peace or learning to conjugate the word conjugate. I'm sure he can just voice google conjugate to find out its meaning. Another one being given a grade. Sorry, it was just amazing that in two sentences Pig was able to misspell captain twice, duration, and steer. See, I am just too sennsitivve.

You've called him out on a public forum. In today's society, that is publicly shaming him.
It's a shame that you couldn't take the time to send your critique and dissertation in a pm instead of just going on blast so that you could get YOUR attention needs met...

Pig, send me a pm with your info and I'll see if I can put you with someone in the metromess.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum