Texas Fishing Forum

Keto Diet

Posted By: RipDaLips

Keto Diet - 02/11/18 08:51 PM

Has anyone else tried it?

The warden and I started it 3 weeks ago today. So far, I am 3.6lbs down and her 4.3lbs as of this morning.
Simple changes in diet, as in not eating grain based flours, instead using almond, coconut flours etc. Carbs and sugars aren't allowed and the weird thing on this is, you eat high fats foods. Lots of avocado's, good fat meats like salmon, beef and bacon is allowed too along with others. I can't even begin to explain it all, but you can Google it up for some knowledge and facts, lots of good meals to be had, and some great cook books out there. We've been finding most our recipes on Pinterest of all things.

Maybe it will benefit some of you trying to battle the bulge, or just drop that 10-15lbs or what ever your goal is.

I'll try and post updates as things move downwards on the scales. We aren't into full ketosis yet and not sure if we'll go that strong into the diet itself. So far, this has been one of the better diets with simple changes we've tried.

If this has already been discussed, feel free to delete.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Keto Diet - 02/12/18 01:59 AM

my boss is doing it
what do they say
about vodka?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Keto Diet - 02/12/18 12:28 PM

Sounds like the Atkins diet
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Keto Diet - 02/12/18 01:24 PM

I have had some clients who have done well following the Keto plan however they found it best to cycle off after about 6 weeks and then back on after a 2 week break or so.

In addition, I had to counsel a client who had heart disease and countless cardiac issues on both sides of the family. Counter productive to introduce a high fat intake fueling program for someone with a history of heart issues. We agreed to: 1. Increase fluid intake daily - main source to be water; 2. Eat breakfast; 3. Decrease portion sizes; 4. Eat every 2 hours; 5. Walk or other measureable activity a minimum 3X/week.

He lost 2 pant sizes...

Re: Keto Diet - 02/12/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
my boss is doing it
what do they say
about vodka?

Clear liquors are ok with club soda or tonic, in moderation of course.

Originally Posted By: H2O Seeker
I have had some clients who have done well following the Keto plan however they found it best to cycle off after about 6 weeks and then back on after a 2 week break or so.

In addition, I had to counsel a client who had heart disease and countless cardiac issues on both sides of the family. Counter productive to introduce a high fat intake fueling program for someone with a history of heart issues. We agreed to: 1. Increase fluid intake daily - main source to be water; 2. Eat breakfast; 3. Decrease portion sizes; 4. Eat every 2 hours; 5. Walk or other measureable activity a minimum 3X/week.

He lost 2 pant sizes...

Are you a doctor or PA?? Just curious, as you mentioned you had a client.
Posted By: tsspencer2887

Re: Keto Diet - 02/12/18 04:08 PM

Don't just pay attention to the carbs. You've got to watch out for all the other things that can get you into trouble too. Even though you're doing keto, you still want to limit your fats. Pay special attention to trans and saturated fats. You can get into trouble with those quickly. Cheese is my weak spot. I'd also recommend targeting low-carb foods that are high in HDL cholesterol. Almost by default, you can overwhelm your system with LDL cholesterol (the bad stuff). Leaning heavier on HDLs will help mitigate that. Avocados are great for this.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Keto Diet - 02/12/18 07:13 PM

All I know is it's popular in the Trail and Ultra Running world. If they can run 100 miles on that diet, you will do fine! From what I am reading, you have to get to the point you start burning fat instead of carbs. Training your body to do what you want.

It's another diet with a cool name.....all diets cut out something....you just pick which food you don't mind missing out on.

For me.....I run a LOT so I can enjoy carbs and some sugars. smile
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Keto Diet - 02/12/18 07:28 PM

Keto is short for Ketosis - very simple - no sugar, no grain.

This is exactly what I started late in September - down 30 pounds and feel as good as I have in years.

If I were an elite athlete there is no way I would chose this diet...not the case. I am a 55 year old man that got a bit over weight and really my body does not process sugar well. So I moved to a no sugar no grain diet. I follow Vinnie Tortorich on twitter (google #nsng) - he is a bit crewd but really is spot on with what he recommends if you are trying to get to a sustainable weight and and eating program.

Meats - fat content is not an issue
Veggies - most veggies are good - some have a lot of lectins which is a whole additional topic - I have cut lectins out as much as possible also
Fruits - berries and low sugar fruits - juices are for the most part glorified sugar drinks so I don't drink them
Nuts - Almonds, Walnuts, Macadamia Nuts are the best
Legumes - I will eat small amounts of legumes or beans...full once again of lectins - so my chili has no beans
ole
Dairy - I eat full fat dairy everything - extra heavy whipping crème is the bomb in coffee! No reduced fat as your body is fooled by this stuff and in many cases processes it just like sugar.

No artificial sweeteners - NONE, which I love - those are all poison IMO.

Stevia is made from real sugar I use it occasionally.

Very interesting discovery - Tortorich talks about how sugar creates hunger in a vicious cycle - after 10 days of no sugars and no grains I could feel my body change...I felt terrible for about two days and once I got through the Keto-Flu I have never looked back. I crave no sugar. Sat in an Italian place Saturday had veal, cauliflower and roasted veggies and did not crave pasta - Pasta used to be my very favorite carb (along with craft beer).

Alcohol - I drink Bourbon on Ice or Gin/Vodka Topo-Chico and real lime juice (from a lime). I do miss my beer and will have a few when I get to my goal of 210. 10 pounds to go.

This is not adkins in any way stretch or form. No grain...atkins is full of grains and fake sugar.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: Keto Diet - 02/12/18 09:24 PM

I'm currently on the EGG diet.
Posted By: RatedG

Re: Keto Diet - 02/12/18 10:11 PM

Keto = Atkins.... No carbs. all protein and fats.. good way to shred weight off before a vacation.

But it will come back. FAST
Posted By: Ranger Z21

Re: Keto Diet - 02/12/18 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: RatedG
Keto = Atkins.... No carbs. all protein and fats.. good way to shred weight off before a vacation.

This. You have to make lifestyle changes and no one can do this the rest of their life. Plus huge health risks. Your body is built to run on carbs, protein and fats and it's all about portion control and exercise. Hopefully you all got your doctors approval before doing this and routine blood work to check your LDL levels which most likely will rise into unhealthful levels causing a whole different set of problems.

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranger Z21

This. You have to make lifestyle changes and no one can do this the rest of their life. Plus huge health risks. Your body is built to run on carbs, protein and fats and it's all about portion control and exercise. Hopefully you all got your doctors approval before doing this and routine blood work to check your LDL levels which most likely will rise into unhealthful levels causing a whole different set of problems.

this is good advice

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 01:13 AM

No. Ketosis is a lifestyle change. The purpose of Keto is to alter the way that your body produces energy. Atkins is a short term diet program that consists of four phases. The first phase is the most restrictive (some users may experience Ketosis) and where most people see their greatest weight loss. As you progress through the program additional sources of carbs are added and you lose the Ketosis.

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: tsspencer2887

No. Ketosis is a lifestyle change. The purpose of Keto is to alter the way that your body produces energy. Atkins is a short term diet program that consists of four phases. The first phase is the most restrictive (some users may experience Ketosis) and where most people see their greatest weight loss. As you progress through the program additional sources of carbs are added and you lose the Ketosis.

There are safer ways to do it than this however. Best advice is see a registered dietitian who can map a plan that works best for your body/situation.

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 01:31 AM

There are safer ways to do it than this however. Best advice is see a registered dietitian who can map a plan that works best for your body/situation.

No argument here. I’m only pointing out that Keto and Atkins are not the same thing nor should they be represented as the same thing.
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 03:47 PM

I go keto in the spring. Get off those 10-15# i put on over the winter. 6 weeks and hard work at the gym sheds it quick. then I just eat healthier and keep sugar out of my diet and I do not gain it back. If you do it. the keto flu kicks my butt. Take a magnesium supp (250mg morn, noon and night) and use a MCT oil supplement. really helps with the 5 days of discomfort.

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 04:05 PM

This. You have to make lifestyle changes and no one can do this the rest of their life. Plus huge health risks. Your body is built to run on carbs, protein and fats and it's all about portion control and exercise.

This is the root of it all. Calories in and calories out. Find that balance and you are golden. Take in too much "fuel" and you don't burn it...it goes into the fuel tank...aka fat. It's so simple people often overlook it.

Another reason to work out and burn calories!! Take it outdoors and enjoy the gifts!

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 07:05 PM

What do you find unsafe around Ketosis?
Posted By: markson

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 08:08 PM

The only way to keep the weight from coming back is once you reach your target weight, start and slowly ramp up eating healthy carbs again but monitor how many grams you eat every day. Then also weigh yourself every day and as soon as you gain one pound determine how many carb grams you ate a couple of days before and that is your "target". If you never eat more than that amount of carbs you should never gain weight. For some people that "target" is very low. Mine is about 35 grams a day.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 08:16 PM

Keto is a fad diet. I'd wager a majority of people on the diet never really reach ketosis. You can buy test strips on amazon for less than 10 bucks to confirm this for yourself. When you think you are in Ketosis [censored] on the test strip and it'll tell you to what degree. What you'll find is that you are not in fact in ketosis. Truly getting in ketosis requires extremely strict adherence to the diet coupled with multi-day fasts for most folks in most cases.

Sure you'll lose weight just like you would with Adkins. As others have stated though, it's just not sustainable for most people over the long haul. Diets that work with extremes are generally a bad idea.

The key is just calories in - calories burned. Create a 3500 calorie deficit for every pound you want to lose on a weekly basis. I'm down 27lbs since the start of the year. I'm going light on carbs, booze, and sugar. I'm also getting in some solid cardio 6 days a week.

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 08:24 PM

I'm ordering strips today...should be interesting.

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 08:51 PM

krawlin, you might aswell order some red solo cups too. You gotta soak'm, can't tinkle or dribble on them. grin
3+ weeks in and we are both about at the 8-11 color range.

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 10:15 PM

Got them on the way from Amazon! Thanks for the heads up on the solo cups...made me laugh and go yuk.

I am very curious as to where I stand on this!
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Keto Diet - 02/13/18 10:21 PM

Yup and all that protein plays havoc with your digestive system.

Re: Keto Diet - 02/14/18 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I'm also getting in some solid cardio 6 days a week.

That right there is WINNING stuff!! This will help you live longer!!

New study out this year proving it, 5 hours a week of cardio can reverse a lot of "bad" in a heart.

Re: Keto Diet - 02/15/18 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

New study out this year proving it, 5 hours a week of cardio can reverse a lot of "bad" in a heart.

Completely agree! I am just starting the cardio and plan on doing this 5 hours a week on my rowing machine. Next will be my bike...I am looking forward to that!
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Keto Diet - 03/01/18 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: RipDaLips®
krawlin, you might aswell order some red solo cups too. You gotta soak'm, can't tinkle or dribble on them. grin
3+ weeks in and we are both about at the 8-11 color range.

Made this mistake. Got too excited to pp on a stick.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Keto Diet - 03/02/18 02:23 PM

I love me some cardio. I love that feeling after a good cardio workout when you have sweat pouring off your head and arms, t shirt drenched and a lot of miles under your feet.
Posted By: CrankAddict

Re: Keto Diet - 04/26/18 05:06 PM

How are you guys doing on the keto? Still on it?

This is day 5 for me and I'm being super strict. No more than 1400 calories/day with 5% carb, 75% fat, 20% protein. Day 4 was really rough and the meal planning is a huge pain. But I've been in ketosis since day 1 (used a 17 hr fast to kickstart) and am finally starting to feel better. I'm curious if those of you who started it are still going strong or if you went off and gained anything back.
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Keto Diet - 05/01/18 07:54 PM

3 pounds in 3 weeks??

When i was working i would sweat 10 pounds in a day.

Thought this miracle was fast weight loss.

Like any diet pill ever invented it has a diet to go with it. Try the diet alone for three weeks and see how much you lose. That's a challenge
Posted By: bluecatlakerat

Re: Keto Diet - 05/04/18 01:58 AM

I am a month in and down about 18 lbs. I lose about a pound a day except for days that I drink several beers I don't lose anything but don't gain either. I have not been keeping close track of calories or carbs but my wife does and she is losing more weight than me, but she doesn't drink beer.
I found some vodka drinks that I really like but I LOVE beer. So far so good, my clothes are getting loose and I feel good. At 5 days in I felt drained and sick but it only lasted about 2 days, maybe getting into ketosis I don't know. Now if I don't eat something every 4 or 5 hours I start feeling bad and stomach hurts, I am not sure why. Also the higher fiber foods make me feel way better than eating lots of meat and cheese.
Posted By: Not2Old2Fish

Re: Keto Diet - 05/04/18 06:53 PM

Workout fads are there to sell ads.

Re: Keto Diet - 05/06/18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: krawlin 47

- Unnecessary lean muscle mass loss; (This in turn will show a short term loss on the scale but is not a healthy or sustainable outcome.)
- Liver damage
- Kidney damage
- Contraindicated for those with pre diabetic levels or a history of diabetes in their family
- Damage to the heart; (Contraindicated for those with any heart issues currently or family history

The keto diet has been shown to work short term for cosmetic reasons but time and research have proven that it is not a sustainable alternative for healthy weight loss or health in general.

Re: Keto Diet - 05/06/18 11:27 PM

I understand what you are saying about it being an unhealthy way to lose weight but being 300 lbs with high blood pressure at age 35 is not very good for my liver, kidneys or heart either. My overall goal is to use this diet "fad" to get down to my goal weight and hopefully be able to maintain that weight. With a healthy diet that includes some carbs and a good exercise program I believe it is possible. At 6'2" and 300 lbs I am not really worried about losing lean muscle mass. I am not sure some of you understand the diet completely anyway. I don't really eat any more meat than I did before, just lots more vegetables. I eat a salad at least one meal a day and have replaced potatoes with vegetables as a side dish to grilled lean meat. I have eaten no refined sugar or fried foods in a month and have started exercising several times a week because I feel good enough to do so. So I am not sure what is so unhealthy about what I am doing but it doesn't matter because it is working. I am not sure why you guys can't just say good job and move on. So to everyone on this diet that is losing weight and making it work for them I say GOOD JOB! thumb

Re: Keto Diet - 05/07/18 12:03 PM

Lake rat - My post was in response to a specific question. Each person has their own journey. I have colleagues who are registered dietitians who employ keto or a hybrid alternative for short term periods. Others utilize a derivative and multi disciplinary approach to ensure outcomes and good health along the way.

Based on the limited info you described about your fueling patternS my guess is you are not on the true keto plan anyway.

If what you are doing is working for you then of course - GOOD JOB.

Re: Keto Diet - 05/07/18 08:43 PM

I'm amazed at the side effects of the diet and they're enough to keep me going on it. The weight loss at this point is just the icing on the cake. I'm losing 3 lb per week even with a couple of days a week with higher calories. Still very strict on carbs and haven't had more than 19 grams in a day. Averaging about 13 gram/day. Haven't been out of ketosis in 15 days. Found a meal prep service in Keller that is really helping to cut down prep time. The more I research the diet the more I see the benefits. There are people who have cure auto-immune diseases with it. I can definitely feel a difference in my hormone balance. Sugar is poison.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Keto Diet - 05/08/18 01:35 PM

The more I learn about weightloss the more I realize there is enormous variation in people. Age, gender, metabolic rates, genetics, food preferences, timing, medications, exercise habits, sleep patterns, even the climate they live in... Just to name a few. The reality is different things work for different people. There is no silver bullet. I'm personally of the opinion the Keto diet isn't for most people simply because it's extremely difficult to maintain over the long haul. That said, if it works for you, have at it. I agree with Lakerat above, whatever the downsides might be, it's got to be better than being fat.

I can envision a day in the future where genetic tests and blood work will be able to work out a "optimal" plan for everyone based on actual science.

Re: Keto Diet - 05/08/18 02:57 PM

Oh man, you're SO right about the variation. I'm continually amazed at what my friends can eat and not have any problem with. I follow a bunch of keto pages on social media and every single one does it a little different. And even if you figure out what works for you, it changes as you get older. I'm still bummed that I can't fast like I want to but will continue to experiment to see what works the best. thumb

Re: Keto Diet - 05/09/18 12:09 PM

The more I learn about weightloss the more I realize there is enormous variation in people. Age, gender, metabolic rates, genetics, food preferences, timing, medications, exercise habits, sleep patterns, even the climate they live in... Just to name a few. The reality is different things work for different people. There is no silver bullet. I'm personally of the opinion the Keto diet isn't for most people simply because it's extremely difficult to maintain over the long haul. That said, if it works for you, have at it. I agree with Lakerat above, whatever the downsides might be, it's got to be better than being fat.

I can envision a day in the future where genetic tests and blood work will be able to work out a "optimal" plan for everyone based on actual science.

Could not agree more hence the point there is not a "one size fits all" method. Your vision of 'genetic and blood test to work out an optimal plan' currently exists and yes based on your body chemistry and science. The key is researching a registered or licensed dietitian (RD and/or LD). These animals are different than a wellness coordinator, coach, or nutritionist in that they are registered and licensed through the state in which they reside/practice.

I had this done 7 years ago and it made a huge difference in my health, managing my fueling and hydration, and educating me about what works best rather than experimenting. Do I cheat? Yes...I like beer and single barrel bourbon...neither of which am I to have. I deal with the consequences when I do indulge and go on with life but the big factor is I KNOW what works for my given situation. No guess work.

This after 25+ years in the healthcare industry and "knowing better" I still chose to do my own thing until I let science and my own body tell me what it needed.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Keto Diet - 05/15/18 01:36 PM

Jumping in on the Keto wagon. I don't know exactly when the wife started but I jumped in with her last week.

I cheated a little last Sunday when I had a half baked potato and a spoon of ranch beans. Mom made lunch for mom's day and I didn't want to be rude (like my wife wink ) and not eat moms cooking. I was still so full come dinner time I didn't eat. So more carbs for the day than I should, but still nothing as much as I normally would have had.

My biggest shocker of recent was noticing the amount of sugar in my plain, whole milk yogurt. With seeds/nuts, that's my breakfast almost everyday.

What are you eating for your breakfast food? Looking for some ideas.

Re: Keto Diet - 05/17/18 11:46 AM

- Unnecessary lean muscle mass loss; (This in turn will show a short term loss on the scale but is not a healthy or sustainable outcome.)
- Liver damage
- Kidney damage
- Contraindicated for those with pre diabetic levels or a history of diabetes in their family
- Damage to the heart; (Contraindicated for those with any heart issues currently or family history

The keto diet has been shown to work short term for cosmetic reasons but time and research have proven that it is not a sustainable alternative for healthy weight loss or health in general.

You do not loose lean mass during ketosis. You loose water weight associated with insulin. Looks like you loose muscle mass but it is not.
Liver and kidney damage? never heard of it. I do my biometrics 2X a year and liver values were perfect and creatinine and BUN were also perfect for the kidneys.

I cannot say for diabetes as I have no knowledge of that and have done no research.

as for heart, this is from a cardiology site, not dr oz or some [censored] like that. Sorry not being argumentative. for some it is not good. For others keto is excellent and 100% safe and VERY effective.

CONCLUSIONS:
The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.
Posted By: mow

Re: Keto Diet - 06/17/18 04:33 PM

Keto is a fad diet. I'd wager a majority of people on the diet never really reach ketosis. You can buy test strips on amazon for less than 10 bucks to confirm this for yourself. When you think you are in Ketosis [censored] on the test strip and it'll tell you to what degree. What you'll find is that you are not in fact in ketosis. Truly getting in ketosis requires extremely strict adherence to the diet coupled with multi-day fasts for most folks in most cases.

Sure you'll lose weight just like you would with Adkins. As others have stated though, it's just not sustainable for most people over the long haul. Diets that work with extremes are generally a bad idea.

The key is just calories in - calories burned. Create a 3500 calorie deficit for every pound you want to lose on a weekly basis. I'm down 27lbs since the start of the year. I'm going light on carbs, booze, and sugar. I'm also getting in some solid cardio 6 days a week.
disaagre..its not a fad diet..i went on it and if you adhere to the simple philosophy of this its not a problem..im 63 and ive never felt better..ive been on it for two years and lost 45 lbs..my daughters been on it for the same time and has gone from a size 18 to a size 5 from 245 lbs to 139 and amazingly our labs are perfect..plus you dont have to use the strips they have breath analyzers that can tell you your keto..i cant stress this enough..our keto diet is proof..the dr, gave us his blessings..IT IS NOT A DIET ITS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE..EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Re: Keto Diet - 06/19/18 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: jippedgenes

- Liver damage
- Kidney damage

You do not loose lean mass during ketosis. You loose water weight associated with insulin. Looks like you loose muscle mass but it is not.
Liver and kidney damage? never heard of it. I do my biometrics 2X a year and liver values were perfect and creatinine and BUN were also perfect for the kidneys.

I cannot say for diabetes as I have no knowledge of that and have done no research.

as for heart, this is from a cardiology site, not dr oz or some [censored] like that. Sorry not being argumentative. for some it is not good. For others keto is excellent and 100% safe and VERY effective.

CONCLUSIONS:
The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

You mentioned the 'study' but did not site the source. I am interested in the study as I am in the health field and work with Dietitians who do their own research, attend continuing ed, and counsel direct referrals from general practitioners and internists as well as other physicians. They DO prescribe keto however not as a lifestyle change or as an educated "healthy" way to fuel long term.
Posted By: mow

Re: Keto Diet - 06/19/18 04:14 PM

then explain why real drs. tell me and relaitives and many many friends why the science works..labs come back "clean" nothing but positive results..is the keto way upsetting the applecart..if it works it works..no denying that..have had all the scans..mris on the heart,,circlitory systym along with many friends and they all show a reduction in plac on the arteries and the heart artery walls..so believe what you will..as for me and millions of believers in a healthy lifestyle..i will continue ..this is not a paid advertisement or testimony..just glad i no longer have heart disease...

Re: Keto Diet - 06/19/18 04:59 PM

If by fad you mean it's been around since 1920, then sure, it's a fad.

Keto isn't for everyone but just trying it for 2 months made a believer out of me. It's been proven to cure autoimmune diseases, arthritis, obesity, epilepsy, and other ailments. I would encourage anyone to do the research and just try it out for two weeks. You might be surprised at how much better you feel.

Re: Keto Diet - 06/26/18 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: CrankAddict

Keto isn't for everyone but just trying it for 2 months made a believer out of me. It's been proven to cure autoimmune diseases, arthritis, obesity, epilepsy, and other ailments. I would encourage anyone to do the research and just try it out for two weeks. You might be surprised at how much better you feel.

Exactly - this is no fad. Congrats!

Changed my way of eating in September and feel great! Love it. It did wipe out my red wine habit...I replaced that with tequila and all is good. Saving me a lot of money on wine - when I drink it now I feel like chit the next day.

Re: Keto Diet - 06/26/18 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: mow
then explain why real drs. tell me and relaitives and many many friends why the science works..labs come back "clean" nothing but positive results..is the keto way upsetting the applecart..if it works it works..no denying that..have had all the scans..mris on the heart,,circlitory systym along with many friends and they all show a reduction in plac on the arteries and the heart artery walls..so believe what you will..as for me and millions of believers in a healthy lifestyle..i will continue ..this is not a paid advertisement or testimony..just glad i no longer have heart disease...

AMEN!!!!! Congratulations for making a full blown life change that works. All of my numbers are waaaay better...blood pressure, sugar levels, liver and kidney function. Dr. was tickled when I walked in weighing far less than the last time he had seen me.

I would sincerely congratulate you on taking back your heart!

Re: Keto Diet - 06/26/18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: CrankAddict

Exactly - this is no fad. Congrats!

Changed my way of eating in September and feel great! Love it. It did wipe out my red wine habit...I replaced that with tequila and all is good. Saving me a lot of money on wine - when I drink it now I feel like chit the next day.

so you can do that with the liquor?
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Keto Diet - 06/27/18 12:21 AM

Yes!!! Currently having a whiskey drink now. 0 carbs in whiskey and if you want a mixer use Sprite Zero or Coke Zero and no problems.

Re: Keto Diet - 06/30/18 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt Jackson
Yes!!! Currently having a whiskey drink now. 0 carbs in whiskey and if you want a mixer use Sprite Zero or Coke Zero and no problems.

How do you characterize 'no problems'? Both of those contain Aspartame.

Re: Keto Diet - 08/08/18 02:43 AM

[/quote]
You mentioned the 'study' but did not site the source. I am interested in the study as I am in the health field and work with Dietitians who do their own research, attend continuing ed, and counsel direct referrals from general practitioners and internists as well as other physicians. They DO prescribe keto however not as a lifestyle change or as an educated "healthy" way to fuel long term. [/quote]

forgive me I did not make it back in, I just saw your question as to where I got the info. this is the original article. I found it republished in 2017 but want to give credit where it is due. https://www.researchgate.net/publication..._obese_patients

Re: Keto Diet - 08/10/18 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: jippedgenes

You mentioned the 'study' but did not site the source. I am interested in the study as I am in the health field and work with Dietitians who do their own research, attend continuing ed, and counsel direct referrals from general practitioners and internists as well as other physicians. They DO prescribe keto however not as a lifestyle change or as an educated "healthy" way to fuel long term. [/quote]

forgive me I did not make it back in, I just saw your question as to where I got the info. this is the original article. I found it republished in 2017 but want to give credit where it is due. https://www.researchgate.net/publication..._obese_patients
[/quote]

Thanks for the follow-up and for sharing. I am meeting with my dietitian next week and have printed this to take to the appt.

Re: Keto Diet - 08/19/18 03:08 PM

My wife and I started 2 weeks ago today. Feel great. Just have to get over that horrible hump.

Re: Keto Diet - 08/20/18 02:57 PM

Well here is an update. Started low carb/keto April 1st, as of today I am down 40 lbs and the wife is down 50 lbs. It has been life changing. Both of our blood pressures are back to normal, tons more energy and we are exercising daily. It may not work for everyone and I understand that but I am a believer.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Keto Diet - 08/20/18 05:41 PM

FWIW, my wife's cholesterol levels and high blood pressure improved DRAMATICALLY to the point where she no longer needs to take medication for them a couple of months after we began the Keto diet. I lost about 20 pounds in the first month and have been slacking since then due to working two jobs.

We finally got a good manageable meal prep process that allows me to keep eating right. I haven't been on TFF in a while but I will keep you all updated.

Think of it this way....1,000 yeas ago (or even more recently) Humans didn't have access to all of this sugar and carb filled food. Our bodies have thrived off Fats and Proteins for 100,000s of years. Fact.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Keto Diet - 08/20/18 05:43 PM

Also, we supplement the diet with Pruvit products. I'm not going to make a sales pitch on TFF's platform by any means so if you're interested send me a PM.
Posted By: The Dad

Re: Keto Diet - 09/10/18 02:25 AM

Hey Mow—

What is the brand of your KETO breath analyzer and where did you purchase it?
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Keto Diet - 09/12/18 04:17 PM

I started recently to follow Keto, but from www.ketogains.com It appealed to me more, as it was not "just eat fat" and they provide a lot of published articles to backup their theory.

for me, I like it. At one time I was about 310. Had WLS in 2015, ( sleeve, so not full bypass ) got down to 186 but was weak. Started lifting 3-5 days per week. got to 220 with only an inch increase in waist size, but despite following a high protein, mod carb and low fat bariatric diet, hit a plateau on strength, and, was still soft.

For the last 4 weeks, doing ketogains for fat loss, track all foods. Supplement electrolytes and have avoided the keto "flu" Down to 212, and my gym weights, have started to increase, lots more energy when I lift. I can also tell some reduced inflammation as my joints hurt less. I have had a few days that I have bombed completely, but the food diary helps manage, and I simply feel bad.

You have to meal prep, helps me.

I like it, there are several versions of "keto" due to my WLS< the real high fat doesn't work for me, I cant handle the amount you have to eat. This appears to work for me, but I am early.
Posted By: trlrman

Re: Keto Diet - 09/18/18 12:39 AM

Okra and garden tomatoes, coliflower potato salad, and fantastic stuffed crappie help me keep going down !
Posted By: trlrman

Re: Keto Diet - 09/19/18 11:00 AM

Keto ruebens last night
Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: Keto Diet - 09/19/18 01:09 PM

The best videos I saw were dr ken berry on youtube on how to do keto. I'm not very strick on it but it did help me to understand what to eat and why. I now eat about a third of the food as I used to and I don't feel hungry all the time because of the fats replacing the carbs. I still eat pasta and rice occasionly and it's only a small amount but you can feel the difference the next day. You feel lethargic and hungry all day long from the carbs. If you have a sedentary job and are too busy to exercise then keto is the way to go. Great thing to watch are the magic pill on netflicks and dr ken berry on youtube.

Re: Keto Diet - 09/19/18 11:12 PM

My wife and I went on vacation last week. We did keto before to loose a few #s. She decided to go back on as she still has 5-8 to loose but more she said she just felt better. Her migraines stopped and she stopped having reflux. Go figure.
Posted By: nethingthatbites

Re: Keto Diet - 09/26/18 09:45 PM

I run and exercise a lot. I usually do pretty strenuous things at work and around the house. I have a fairly healthy diet as it is, but I have to take in a lot of carbs. I've tried low carb stuff and my energy/stamina levels go to nothing. I can see this being o.k. for people who don't do much, or just want to drop some weight...but have a hard time seeing how anyone in the moderate to high physical activity categories can do it (except for the strictly stamina types, which requires different types of fuel loading anyway).
Posted By: COFF

Re: Keto Diet - 11/05/18 08:09 PM

Well, I started the keto diet about 10 days ago. So far I'm down about 8 lbs. I don't think I've reached true ketosis yet. After about 3 days I was going string, but then had my birthday and Halloween, and the wife and kids broke me down and forced some cake into me.

Even without hitting ketosis yet I think cutting off the bread and sugar is making a very big difference.

And for those keeping score, Chipotle is still delicious even without rice, beans and the tortilla. Much less filling, but still delicious.

Re: Keto Diet - 11/07/18 03:23 AM

Completely agree! I am just starting the cardio and plan on doing this 5 hours a week on my rowing machine. Next will be my bike...I am looking forward to that!

OK...I am coming clean.... roflmao this chit lasted for like two weeks...I got busy fell out of my workout regimen but stayed on the eating plan...it works.

I do plan to get on my rowing machine! I swear.
Posted By: left brain

Re: Keto Diet - 03/11/19 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by nethingthatbites
I run and exercise a lot. I usually do pretty strenuous things at work and around the house. I have a fairly healthy diet as it is, but I have to take in a lot of carbs. I've tried low carb stuff and my energy/stamina levels go to nothing. I can see this being o.k. for people who don't do much, or just want to drop some weight...but have a hard time seeing how anyone in the moderate to high physical activity categories can do it (except for the strictly stamina types, which requires different types of fuel loading anyway).

This is a normal side effect. It can take 2 to 3 months till you become completely fat adapted. Once there energy levels are off the chart. I also have a physical job with long hours. It was very tough for about 9 weeks then poof no more energy lag in the middle of my shift.
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: Keto Diet - 03/20/19 01:53 PM

I started this two weeks ago through a nutritionist but it is very strict balanced plan of equal parts protein, carbs and fats. In 14 days i have lost 13.5 pounds and 12 pounds of body fat. They have me on their own meal plan for breakfast and lunch, and at dinner i can have 8 oz of protein and 2 cups of raw or cooked vegetables. My energy levels have actually boosted since starting.
Posted By: diggerwolf

Re: Keto Diet - 03/25/19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by thrashfish
I started this two weeks ago through a nutritionist but it is very strict balanced plan of equal parts protein, carbs and fats. In 14 days i have lost 13.5 pounds and 12 pounds of body fat. They have me on their own meal plan for breakfast and lunch, and at dinner i can have 8 oz of protein and 2 cups of raw or cooked vegetables. My energy levels have actually boosted since starting.

That is not keto.

But you're dropping weight so kudos and keep it up.

Re: Keto Diet - 03/28/19 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by diggerwolf
Originally Posted by thrashfish

That is not keto.

But you're dropping weight so kudos and keep it up.

Exactly!
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: Keto Diet - 06/04/19 05:48 PM

I’m on a low carb, no sugar diet, that’s what I call it. Not very scientific, just trying to limit carbs to fifty a day, cut the sugar, and I eat all the meat I want. Didn’t really change my meat diet, probably eat more bacon. I have lost 15 lbs and cholesterol has gone down.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Keto Diet - 07/04/19 01:48 PM

When I first tried Keto I was overwhelmed. I had this grocery list I had downloaded to make a weeks worth of meals. It had the most obscure ingredients on it and was a huge pain at the store.

I’ve since learned how very simple Keto can be. Here is a YouTube channel I’ve found where she has tons of recipe videos showing how to make meals and drinks (iced coffee and such). The recipes I’ve watched have been very simple but are all Keto friendly

If you’re looking for something like this search for “Lil Piece of Hart” on YouTube. She keeps it simple
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum