Posted By: butch sanders

Bike Helmets - 01/22/18 05:03 PM

do y'all wear helmets when you ride?

when i would ride with my dog
i wore helmet - elbow pads & knee pads

but not anything when riding solo
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/22/18 06:28 PM

Never did as a kid...always do as an adult no matter how far or where I'm riding.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/22/18 06:44 PM

I did not as a kid, but always as an adult. I crashed more as a kid, but I was rubber back then. It hurt, but I bounced back.

Now, the bounces is minimal, and things break.

...------
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/22/18 07:06 PM

If I'm going on ride I will, if I'm tinkering on the bike, and only riding 50 or yards at a time nah. I've got my kids on board as well, they nearly always ask for their helmets if they get on their bikes.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/22/18 07:07 PM

I wear them all the time.

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/22/18 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Indianation65
I did not as a kid, but always as an adult. I crashed more as a kid, but I was rubber back then. It hurt, but I bounced back.

Now, the bounces is minimal, and things break.

...------

Bounce...yes there's that! bouncy AND the road rash from the bouncing healed a lot faster when I was a kid too! Can't afford a head injury either so good insurance.

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/22/18 07:19 PM

Except mine had a banana seat without a sissy bar.

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/23/18 03:19 PM

i probably need to wear it
i am on my 4th concussion or it could be 5th
i can't remember

1 of them happened on the bike when i turned sharp
on slick asphalt
i was out for a while
thats when i got the pads
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/23/18 06:00 PM

For darn sure. Never without. Only got one brain.

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/23/18 07:31 PM

There's just too many variables out there that could cause a crash, and there's too many stories showing helmets do protect your dome to not wear one. Bones and scrapes heal relatively quick, head injuries not so much.

Also, alot of people really don't want to ride with someone not wearing one. I know they're required on every organized ride I've ever done.

I'll tell ya the one that's done me in twice now, getting off the sidewalk into the grass which is lower, then trying to get back on the sidewalk and eating it. Thankfully I've been going somewhat slow on both.

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/24/18 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian

I'll tell ya the one that's done me in twice now, getting off the sidewalk into the grass which is lower, then trying to get back on the sidewalk and eating it. Thankfully I've been going somewhat slow on both.
That happened to me this summer. Went down fast and head hit concrete pretty hard. It would have sucked without the helmet. Was going about 15 mph when it happened.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/31/18 11:56 AM

I do 99% of the time. Only under very limited circumstances will I take it off. Even then it's for a short time.

Had a fall so severe it partially detached my retina and destroyed the helmet.

I know a guy who refuses to wear one. Her thinks he's too cool to fall. Says they won't help anyway.

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/31/18 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee Finlay
I do 99% of the time. Only under very limited circumstances will I take it off. Even then it's for a short time.

I know a guy who refuses to wear one. Her thinks he's too cool to fall. Says they won't help anyway.

wow
glad your ok
& the cool factor is an issue
i hate to admit

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/31/18 02:19 PM

You were lucky sounds like. Glad you did not have any further damage or long term issues.

For the guy who doesn't wear one - seat belts are stupid, car seats will not protect children, hard hats and steel toes are a waste of money, FR clothing doesn't work, and suppositories are taken orally. I think I know this guy...

The "cool" factor is an excuse. Shop around....there are some slick looking lids that are highly rated to protect your brain pan. What is not cool is being in a wheel chair while his significant other feeds him baby food...or worse yet dead.

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/31/18 06:22 PM

yeah I have known 3 people that had major head injuries from bicycles
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Bike Helmets - 01/31/18 08:32 PM

No mater what - no matter when, If I am on a bike I am wearing a helmet - a good one at that!

Head injuries are way too easy when you go down on the concrete or asphalt...seen some really sick wrecks with bad aftermath!!!

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/01/18 07:24 PM

i am taking the message
i have a Bell

my friend who goes on 40 mile rides reguarly said that those lycra pants make a difference too
in your comfort level on the seat
i am not convinced of these though

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/01/18 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders
i am taking the message
i have a Bell

my friend who goes on 40 mile rides reguarly said that those lycra pants make a difference too
You will be in those shorts soon. I settled on the Bontrager brand and like them.

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/01/18 09:30 PM

he says its a HUGE difference
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/01/18 11:12 PM

Get Bibs and don't look back! Way more comfortable than shorts...hell if your gonna get into spandex - cover up the belly too! roflmao
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/01/18 11:39 PM

If you're on a lightweight road bike or the like, then yes, padded shorts (or better yet, BIBS!) are great. Mainly because you want a lightweight, sleek saddle.

Otherwise, there are a lot of good saddles that are padded enough to be comfortable on long rides without the diaper.

No matter what, though, it's going to take a few hundred miles to harden up your taint.

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/01/18 11:42 PM

If you're on a lightweight road bike or the like, then yes, padded shorts (or better yet, BIBS!) are great. Mainly because you want a lightweight, sleek saddle.

Otherwise, there are a lot of good saddles that are padded enough to be comfortable on long rides without the diaper.

No matter what, though, it's going to take a few hundred miles to harden up your taint.

Get the chamois butt shorts. Chafing is for fat chicks who don't use powder.

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/02/18 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: krawlin 47
Get Bibs and don't look back! Way more comfortable than shorts...hell if your gonna get into spandex - cover up the belly too! roflmao

funny
thats what my buddy holmes wears
he said there is no other comparison

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/02/18 02:57 AM

I don’t have any bib shorts yet, but I’ve got a few pair of bib pants and absolutely hate the warms days now where they’re too hot. One of the nice thing about bibs is you don’t have to worry about them sliding down or your shirt riding up. Your always covered, and as said above they make for a double layer over that belly so you feel and look alittle slimmer. Which is nice when you’re wearing skin right clothing.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/02/18 03:51 AM

I always wear helmet when I ride.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/05/18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Trickster
Originally Posted By: butch sanders
i am taking the message
i have a Bell

You will be in those shorts soon. I settled on the Bontrager brand and like them.

and Fouz can make fun of us all he wants. wink

I like that brand too...I got my first pair for 50 bucks. Solstice model. Still holding up 2 years later....they didn't even rip when I slid 100 yards down the road on my hip.
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/09/18 12:09 AM

people that dont wear a helmet dont need one

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/09/18 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass Bug
people that dont wear a helmet dont need one

&(**@!+++
huh
wut u mean bi dat /

hammer
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/09/18 01:04 AM

Are y’all talkin bout ridin bicycles? If so, helmets are for dorks!

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/09/18 01:07 AM

yes bicycles

thats what i thought too
until you wipe out at
say
15MPH
&
land on your head
twice
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Bike Helmets - 02/09/18 01:10 AM

I bought a 3 wheeler bicycle so I can go without a helmet and still look cool.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum