Texas Fishing Forum

DIY keel guard

Posted By: CCTX

DIY keel guard - 07/16/17 03:21 PM

Will see how long it lasts

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/16/17 03:26 PM

It's the same material as the 3M paint protection film used in the auto industry to prevent door and bumper dings/scratches.

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/20/17 01:59 AM

Gorilla tape is working better
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/20/17 02:10 AM

How long have you had the Gorilla tape on?

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/20/17 12:55 PM

Ha!
Not very long (two trips); but it is holding up very well.

The very best keel guard method (from what I've read on the Australian kayak forums--those guys do a lot of DIY keel guard protection because of all the reefs) is a two part epoxy for HDPE. Many of them add graphite to the mix for hydrodynamics.

Gorilla tape is cheap and widely available.
From the same kayak forums; it appears Racers tape performs the best
Posted By: Savage243

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/21/17 03:36 PM

When you applied the Gorilla tape did you heat the tape and the hull of your boat?

I had a Coleman Scanoe that I bought second hand that had been in a small fire and hit a piece of pipe that put a hole in one side of it. I took gorilla tape and a heat gun and made my own patch. I cleaned the area thoroughly, then applied light heat to the hull and the strip of tape I was working with. I did this in sort of a weave pattern on both side of the hull. That was 4 years ago and it is probably just as hard as the hull and has held up great.

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/21/17 05:48 PM

I have a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight.

Will lightly shoot the hull and tape this evening.

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/21/17 06:34 PM

That's the exact heat gun I have! haha

Put that baby on low or else you'll have kayak goop!

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/21/17 06:45 PM

I hear ya! thumb smile

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/21/17 06:58 PM

Let us know how it works out for you. I would be interested in doing this to my boat as well.

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/21/17 08:17 PM

Well, I just shot with the heat gun.

Will update in a month
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: DIY keel guard - 07/26/17 01:20 PM

cheers

Re: DIY keel guard - 08/24/17 01:02 PM

Well it's been a month; and Gorilla tape + heat gun definitely works.

All but the very most frequent wear areas (about a six inch narrow band at the front bottom keel, and some half dollar sized areas at the rear pontoons) have stayed completely intact and sealed.

Wear areas in yellow

Re: DIY keel guard - 08/24/17 02:17 PM

That's good to hear! Now for the 6 month durability test!
Posted By: Alan Yakson

Re: DIY keel guard - 01/18/18 07:59 PM

Collincountytx, any updates on this keelguard?

Re: DIY keel guard - 01/19/18 02:08 PM

The Gorilla tape + heat gun method was the most cost effective and durable method (also tried the racer's tape, but the Gorilla tape was more durable)

I'd recommend the extra wide Gorilla tape (Wmart has it)

I found the source of my kayak leak (it was the drain plugs); the hull is intact (even had it professionally tested)
Posted By: aznative96

Re: DIY keel guard - 03/27/18 05:31 PM

I am looking at using this stuff. http://www.keeleazy.com/. one of the benefits is you can order it by the foot.

Phil

Re: DIY keel guard - 03/29/18 01:13 PM

You can get a free sample of keeleazy before you purchase.

I'd get a free sample and place it on your kayak hull or keel. I'd then cut a piece of equally sized gorilla tape on a symmetrical or equally stressed area. See how they perform against vs each other over 60 days.

Use a heat gun (lightly) after applying the gorilla tape--gets it to bond really well to the HDPE.
Posted By: Clay34

Re: DIY keel guard - 04/02/18 01:02 PM

One tip that I read elsewhere on the Gorilla tape. I haven't done it yet, but plan on it for this season.

First put a brightly colored Gorilla tape down, then a second layer of another color on top. When the top layer wears through you will notice the brightly colored tape below - BEFORE it starts to wear on the hull you can replace the outer layer of tape.

Just a thought to consider.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: DIY keel guard - 10/14/18 04:01 AM

aznative96 how is the keeleazy working out for you? Did you compare the wear to gorilla tape?
Posted By: timid tiger

Re: DIY keel guard - 11/07/18 08:33 PM

I use gorilla tape for bottom (bow) guard as well. Works perfect. Mine has stayed for more than one year now and is still looking good.
For keel, which is very narrow on my kayak, gorilla tape will work but needs to be taped really well to avoid adding drag when paddling.
So I used epoxy (west marine 2 part G-flex brand), this will allow the reinforcement to be smooth and causing little drag. They do crack up/ peel after about six months to 1 year.
Posted By: J C Butler

Re: DIY keel guard - 05/30/19 01:33 AM

I have started using Gorilla tape on my yak, thus far it is helping. However, do not drag it on asphalt.
Posted By: Pop751

Re: DIY keel guard - 05/31/19 03:28 PM

Here's a link to a YouTube video of a guy that heats PVC and forms it to the front of his kayak as a keel guard. I haven't done it so I can't comment on it, but thought I would throw it into the discussion. There are additional videos about using PVC as keel guard material as well.

https://youtu.be/xqNeQYX6k-0
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum