Texas Fishing Forum

Gel coat painting effect for kayak crates

Posted By: CCTX

Gel coat painting effect for kayak crates - 08/27/15 01:12 PM

Step 1: base layer of krylon plastic fusion clear UV let it dry for 1 hour
Step 2: layer of krylon plastic fusion in the color you want to paint your crate (I chose orange)
Step 3: mix powdered paint pigments of your choice--I chose gold (Pearl EX are available at Hobby Lobby/Michaels in the clay section)
into some slow curing clear epoxy resin (Easy Cast, Amazing, and Envirotex are available at Hobby Lobby/Michaels usually in the model car section) and paint a layer.
Step 4: generously add polyester glitter or metal flake sprinkling or dashing it on top while that is epoxy is still wet
Step 5: Let it dry for a couple of hours
Step 6: Paint on a clear coat of clear epoxy resin
Optional: add another layer of clear epoxy resin

Close up pic of crate

Posted By: K.D.

Re: Gel coat painting effect for kayak crates - 08/29/15 01:11 AM

I'm impressed. that's a cool effect
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Gel coat painting effect for kayak crates - 08/31/15 06:01 PM

Just curious, what would be the point of doing this to you kayak? Not trying to sound like a smartbut.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Gel coat painting effect for kayak crates - 08/31/15 10:44 PM

1. Plastic crates are cheap (often free) and are a good medium to try different painting/effects techniques
2. I had some left over two part clear epoxy, paint pigment, and glitter from a project I worked on with my kiddos
3. Improves crate/kayak visibility
4. If the effect works on the crate and doesn't crack/fade/yellow, it would show the same or similar technique could be used on a larger scale or for different applications--trailer, cooler, boat seat, boat fixtures, etc
5. Looks cool/individualizes the crate
6. Fun to do
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum