Texas Fishing Forum

Anchor Wizzard with Anchor trolley?

Posted By: Clay34

Anchor Wizzard with Anchor trolley? - 04/15/18 02:10 AM

I'm running this style of anchor system for rivers: anchor system for rivers

I am interested in putting a anchor wizard on the boat as another option. In the colder weather, it's nice not to pull on a wet line.

Anyone using an anchor wizard? Anyone using one combined with an anchor trolley?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Posted By: Searsay

Re: Anchor Wizzard with Anchor trolley? - 04/16/18 09:56 PM

I have thoughts... but need to put it together and test before i can post pictures... - basically a ring on a short length of paracord that is put around the anchor cord from the outside of the anchor wizard. then clipped to the anchor trolley. rather than the standard of cliping the anchor rope straight to the trolley. W/o testing i can't say much - but it could be prone to tangling if not done correctly or if the small piece of para is to long.
Posted By: Clay34

Re: Anchor Wizzard with Anchor trolley? - 04/17/18 03:49 AM

I found this older video (2015): Anchor Wizard with Anchor Trolley

Just thought that there might be a better way to run the anchor instead of just through the ring, so I am with you on trying to find a better way to actually rig this.

I really like the idea of being able to move the anchoring point from the front of the boat to the back. I already have the YakAttack HD anchor trolley. The other option would be to put two of the units on a kayak. One for the front and one for the back. While it would cost $200, that is a big savings over a powerpole.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Anchor Wizzard with Anchor trolley? - 04/17/18 12:22 PM

Clay34/All,

Don't forget you have to be able to reach multiple Anchor Wizards to operate them, or even to reach a single one, so they need to be within a comfortable distance.

And, for anyone with a paddle kayak, the Anchor Wizard should be positioned outside or away from your paddle stroke pattern.

In the video, the Anchor Wizard rep shows a "fixed" line position to run the line through first. He is doing this only because he is making it so that the anchor line pulls straight out from its spool. If not, and you had it hooked to an anchor trolley and you had the trolley ring pushed to a far bow or far stern position, depending on how the Wizard is mounted, one position would have the line binding against the side of the Wizard and not spooling in and out freely. So, a fixed point like that ensures the line is pulled into/released from the Wizard at a non-binding/rubbing angle . . . straight on.

This would not be an issue, at all, and not required if one mounts the Wizard's spool release positioned so the anchor line comes out in the direction of the stern, then running the anchor trolley ring back at least near your hip or anywhere farther back toward the stern to drop the anchor. The line between the Wizard and the ring will be straight enough not to impair the free spooling action, dropping or lifting the anchor.

Since most of us, most of the time, anchor off the stern so we are not casting over our anchor lines, this makes it pretty standard. But, I know there are times when one wants to anchor off the bow, say for wind considerations or setting up into current on a river. If so, I'd just move the trolley ring back to stern end first and then reel in the anchor and its line.

Hope this makes some sense.

*** Be sure to note that there is a new lower profile version of the Anchor Wizard made for kayaks and canoes. It's cheaper, too, or was when first introduced.

However you go about it, one thing is for sure. If you are hesitant to drop an anchor as often as you really should, or would like to, because of all the time pulling it back up and then having a hank of line on your kayak deck to get knotted up, this Wizard will really increase your anchor usage. It makes dropping and lifting an anchor a very minor event.

Brad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum