Texas Fishing Forum

ShoreboundAngler

Posted By: Shoreboundangler

ShoreboundAngler - 09/15/17 10:57 PM

For anyone who cares, the Shoreboundangler.com site has been shut down for a couple months now. I kept it going for almost 6 years, and kind of just lost interest in it. It never was a commercial venture and I never tried to make money off it. It was always about posting fishing reports, usually in and around the Packery Channel jetties. Look at me .... I caught a fish!

So, for those few of you who did care, I really like this forum and plan to try and start posting some reports here. Right now around my beloved Packery Channel jetties, the Mojarra have finally showed up. One trip this week after work I managed to catch 4 Mangrove Snapper, 1 slot red, 2 short specs, and a big ol' scorpion fish. Folks fishing around me using live mullet and dead shrimp caught some small croaker, hardheads, and one small blacktip. The Mojarra definitely outfished baits being fished around me. I plan to hit it this weekend, so look for some updates here soon.

Bugs
Posted By: lou7

Re: ShoreboundAngler - 09/16/17 12:08 PM

What exactly is a Mojarra?Other than looking like a Tilapia I'm not sure what it looks like.
Are you using it as cut bait or are you just throwing it out there on a big hook alive like mullet?
It sounds like a super bait that I've never heard of,and I want to get me some.
Posted By: Neumie

Re: ShoreboundAngler - 09/16/17 12:20 PM

Bummer; I enjoyed your blog. Jetty fishing is something I'm not too familiar with so it was a very informative, niche blog.

Did you archive everything before closing up shop?
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: ShoreboundAngler - 09/19/17 06:13 PM

Bugs! My buddy and I are huge fanboys of Shoreboundangler. We cornered you on the jetty once to talk shop. One of the many things I loved about that blog is you would report when you _didn't_ catch fish. Reading most people's fishing reports you would think they were hip-deep in redfish.

Not to be too dark, but I actually searched for an obituary when you stopped posting. Losing interest in a blog is 1000% relatable. Glad we'll still be getting the benefit of your insights through the forum. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Posted By: Jamey2017

Re: ShoreboundAngler - 09/19/17 06:52 PM

+1 on my friend ingvar3000's post. Your whereabouts provided a lot of speculation on long car rides and the inevitable slow times during fishing trips. Have you heard any status updates on our favorite spots like Billings Baits, The Red Dot, and of course the Packery Jetty?
Posted By: Shoreboundangler

Re: ShoreboundAngler - 09/23/17 02:39 PM

I did not archive before closing. I didn't understand that when I closed it, all would just be gone. I'm sure GoDaddy would be more than happy to help me get it back for a small $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.!
Posted By: chapcat

Re: ShoreboundAngler - 09/23/17 10:02 PM

Bugs, I just want to say thanks for Shoreboundangler. I read every report religiously, and wondered what happened when the reports stopped. I had a feeling it might be for the reasons you stated, as I have had a couple of websites in the past as well (not for fishing, but for golf and HS football). I spent time and money, with nothing in return but the satisfaction that a few folks might get something out of it.

I was hoping to run into you out on the Packery jetty eventually and relay my appreciation, as I fish there quite a bit. I also hoped to pick your brain on the secrets of Sheepshead fishing, as I plan to do a lot of it this sesaon, as I am retiring in a month. I also finally caught my first mangrove snapper by accident at the Fish Pass south jetty recently, while trying to catch redfish or trout on a Gulp swimming mullet. One day, I don't know when, I am gonna finally catch some mangrove snapper when I am actually targeting them, but no luck yet. If you ever notice a 6'6" inch old big bird looking dude in a tan Magellan ball cap, that will likely be me. grin
Posted By: LandlockedinUT

Re: ShoreboundAngler - 11/02/17 02:18 AM

I was going to ask you if you had an archive of all your 6-10 years of fishing... Such a loss... I wish I had a hardcopy of all the posts so I could plan my trips to South TX and look for patterns in catches so I could be prepared when I come down. Your blog would get me through the cold Utah winters... helped me look forward to my trips down there! Glad you are posting here now and I was able to relocate you out on NPJ on 10-19. Keep up the good work! Thanks for the tip on the frozen shrimp at HEB. I tried it and I like it a ton better than the bait I usually buy at Clem's.

Jim
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum