Texas Fishing Forum

Gas Pumped into a.......

Posted By: V-Bottom

Gas Pumped into a....... - 06/05/17 01:45 AM

Fishing rod holder.You read right. Three men, 40-35-and 24, pumped 28 gallons of gas into the hull of the boat. Long story short, someone jacked with the battery cables and BOOM...The three men went to various hospitals with burns. This all happened near Myrtyl Beach at a marina/dock. I have never heard of this ever happening anywhere....Get well soon fellas.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Gas Pumped into a....... - 06/05/17 06:52 AM

I've seen people not paying attention do that but not 20 gallons. They always caught it before pumping. Wow.
Posted By: boocat

Re: Gas Pumped into a....... - 06/05/17 01:20 PM

blush I did it. I was 19 or 20 years old, decking for my dad in Port A,, offshore charter out of Deep Sea Headquarters on a 31 Bertram. Yes, the fuel fill is right next to a rod holder. I was talking to someone on the dock with my head up my rear. My dad said I was white as a ghost when I walked up on the patio to tell him. He said he knew something was wrong when he saw me. It was 6 gallons.

We tied a rope on the bow and pulled boat over to an empty area of the harbour and went to work, opening hatches and hand bailing, then got a giant box of Tide and started cleaning.. After several hours of that we were done. had the cleanest bilge in town. Lesson learned, later on I went to work for a Hatteras,Bertram dealer. He always complimented me for how I checked bilges before starting an engine.

We were all aware of the consequences, It was back somewhere around 1964-66 When a boat at Woody's dock took on fuel. They had some sort of fuel fill line failure and had pumped like 40 to 50 gallons, Then they hit the started. I remember at least one was killed, all were blown out. boat burned to water line.

Serious stuff. Check those bilges
Posted By: C.M.

Re: Gas Pumped into a....... - 06/05/17 04:35 PM

Natural selection at it's finest
Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Re: Gas Pumped into a....... - 06/06/17 02:18 PM

Wow... makes me feel a little better about that one time I left the gas cap off overnight. ;-)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum