Texas Fishing Forum

Buying a boat for the ocean question

Posted By: Waco Crappie

Buying a boat for the ocean question - 05/31/17 06:00 PM

I'm starting to shop around for an off shore boat. Something that will get me a few miles offshore safety with 4-5 people on the boat. I'm buying used and I found a 1995 Wellcraft Coastal 25ft long and was wondering if you guys would think this is a good choice for that purpose.

Posted By: boocat

Re: Buying a boat for the ocean question - 05/31/17 07:48 PM

GTG with common sense about the weather and conditions... Twin engine or at least a kicker?
Posted By: boocat

Re: Buying a boat for the ocean question - 05/31/17 07:49 PM

Right equipment ,, radio and such
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Buying a boat for the ocean question - 05/31/17 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: boocat
GTG with common sense about the weather and conditions... Twin engine or at least a kicker?

+1

Especially agree about having a kicker motor, preferably with a pull start.
Posted By: Ambassador84

Re: Buying a boat for the ocean question - 05/31/17 08:10 PM

That boat would be good. Like said a kicker motor and some decent nav equipment is something I would never leave without. Outfit with all proper offshore safety equipment...flares and such. Weather weather weather. Pay attention to it. Also be sure you have enough truck to tow a boat like that. They are built heavy to handle a little more than the average boat. Most modern 1/2 tons would do okay with a heavy duty towing set up.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Buying a boat for the ocean question - 05/31/17 08:21 PM

A portable GPS, a compass, and a NOAA chart for the area you'll be fishing, and be able to plot a course home should your electronics fail. You can't always depend on your electronics to work. it may not get you back to the mouth of the harbor, but it will get you close enough to call for assistance.
Open water is no place to be caught unprepared.
Posted By: KQT

Re: Buying a boat for the ocean question - 06/02/17 03:10 AM

All the above and get sea tow insurance if you are buying an older boat. Also learn to use a compass in case your plotter craps out. budget at least $1000 per year for maintenance, a spring tune-up done by a good shop is a must. Replace batteries at a minimum every other year. Have fun!
Posted By: markchat

Re: Buying a boat for the ocean question - 06/03/17 12:29 AM

My dad has a 25' 1998 Auquasport that has the same hull as that one. It has taken us out over 100 miles many times. Kicker motor always. And radio of course. Not the greatest ride but one of the roomiest decks I've seen in a 25'
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Buying a boat for the ocean question - 06/03/17 01:20 AM

i like that hull, but would prefer a center console because it gives the passengers more room to move around the boat. however, having a cabin is nice when the weather isn't so good. personal preference i guess.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Buying a boat for the ocean question - 06/03/17 01:40 AM

I have a Wellcraft and they are tough boats. They are known for their strong hull and made in Sarasota,Florida. Getting insurance on anything 20 years old may be tough. Inquire about the fuel system...the tank to the engine. Are the fuel lines the same that came with the boat? If not, they are lined inside with a "plastic" liner that will crystalize and make it's way thru the entire fuel system...$1600 damage, been there. Check the wiring under console. The original wiring on mine was a cluster **** and I had it all replaced with up to date wiring, water proof connectors and all. Is the steering system greased well? Check your bilge pump. Plain and simple.....go thru the whole boat. That looks like a nice rig. Adhere to all the above as well plus get a VHF radio and a 6 ft. antenna. How's the trl? BTW: That's how I got my username bc it's a (Deep) VBottom boat !!
Posted By: ksville

Re: Buying a boat for the ocean question - 06/03/17 09:19 PM

Contact coast guard for safety equipment list.
Twin motors or kicker motor
Your passenger list 26 ft or longer which shade or T top
Tow insurance
Learn about the weathert and how to use a GPS
If you think it might be dangerous, don't do it
Always approach a platform down wind or down current
Know that you will die if you seoerate yourself from your boat in open ocean
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum